A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chim Chim Cherry  (Read 7576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KOhlthemule
« on: March 17, 2004 09:49:19 AM »

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDVAsITTJZpBYMVUBSUnrgsqdM5j6zTqOtb*F7o9eb!F2F7CEV57cyfGgRsKK*rojl5re89Sgn7Ll2ZOg7*uojB0dBUCk*yQrqTbSo7JgE/PICT0073.JPG?dc=4675464207580172618

so I guess its your basic  skirt.  

I didn't use a pattern  just sort of cut 4 peices in rectangles that aren't actual rectangles....what are they called?  anyway they were smaller on top then the bottom.
Stuck a felt cherry on it....
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQByAMQTxJZpBYMVUBSUnt2mpuFlwOxHglcZ4N!Yw6EsYZp0ol9*xc9!5xe!414KABQK9YDCg2dGfoZty9AqPEmo9pG0!e9V5zpFuFYqkRw/PICT0075.JPG?dc=4675464207595634500

and here are the accesories

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDRAsYTPJdpBYMVUBSUnrPQXY28uU5as4qxqtEYjCBAeOS6VN5IR9K*rWjha08I42wsH9dN4ymB6gnYT*x6pQKoi*!nCbZ261ZpbItQU7M/PICT0077.JPG?dc=4675464207602543035

a little coin purse and a head band thing.

So...it fits around my hips on top.   loose if pulled up to waist.  but my boyfriend says it looks unflattering and makes me appear bigger than I am.   hmmm.....so what can I do to fix this skirt?   I know I should have used a pattern, but I was just messing around at first.

should I  pleat it on the bottom and attach it to solid material on the top to take away from the busyness?  or should I make purses out of it?

Help please!

Happy St. Paddy's day
[/font][/color]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011 07:07:26 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where are my scissors!!!
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004 09:56:23 AM »

Well... why is it unflattering?  Is it too big?  Too long?  
I don't think the pattern is too much of a problem, it seems to read almost as dots from farther away, but maybe something so bright should be used sparingly?
You could try bringing the seams in more at your waist to make the skirt fit your contours better, if it's just too loose.
What shape do you think would flatter you more?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
KOhlthemule
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004 10:42:33 AM »

well, I wouldn't describe me as "fat"  but lets just say, nothing at FOREVER 21 fits me.

I am flat at the tummy but have love handles at my sides.  I have an hourglass figure.  

I think the problem is the "loudness" of it.  my mom suggested that I make it  black on the sides and the print through the middle.  

whadda ya think?

I am trying to get ready for Viva Las Vegas next month.  and since I already have a polka dot dress and a marilyn cherry dress in black, I was going for cherries that noone else might be wearing,   since cherries seems to be the rockabilly fruit of choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where are my scissors!!!
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004 10:52:06 AM »

I've got all those same figure issues, lol.  Nothing at most trendy mall stores fits me.

Anyway, I like your mom's suggestion.  The different colored panels will help make you feel more slim, because they'll give a longer line to your figure.

A good way to get a good fit with that kind of skirt might be to put it on inside out and pin the seams evenly so the skirt will skim your figure.  Then you'd sew where you pinned to get the right seamline.  Don't make it too tight though, you'll be uncomfortable and it'll look like you're wearing something too small.

Hope that helps a little.  Can't wait to see what you come up with!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
Toast.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004 01:38:35 PM »

Here's my two cents.
sometimes making a skirt longer makes you appear thinner. add a ruffle of tulle or something along the bottom.
adding a thick black or solid colour waist band might help. it'll make the skirt a little longer and it'll cut the pattern around your 'love handle' area.

hope you come up with something. i have similar size issues too..
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melliott
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004 04:10:12 PM »

sometimes where the hem of the skirt falls in relation to your leg can also make a difference...is it a big-butt problem, or a big-legs problem?

amd i say: just go for it.  the fabric is awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recyclerdudette
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004 04:24:49 PM »

I love your skirt!  The print is adorable.  As far as the fit goes, I agree with BeppyCat about turning it inside out and pinning the seams for a better fit.  Also, length can make a difference as melliot mentioned.  Just below the knee is a flattering length for most hourglass women...it shows off the curves of your calves.

Also, next time you might want to cut the gores (rectangles) angled on the bias of the fabric.  It will add a bit of stretch so the fabric smoothes over your curves.

Hope that helps.  You did a great job.  I love the whole ensemble.  Nice work.

Jan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not old, I'm VINTAGE!
Goddess
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004 04:46:45 PM »

it's really cute. The print is a bit wild, so I would maybe make it a bit more fitted to give you that pinup girl look. worn with a little black sweater, that would be sooo cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laragazza
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004 06:31:52 AM »

i totally dig your skirt.  i'm the typical fat girl and i wear these kind of skirts all the time, i just love them!

and, um, to make it flatterning on you, you should:
A: wear it at the hips and have it go down to the knee
B: pair it with a black top
C: have fun, wear it whenever you want and say, "screw the world, i have a sassy cute skirt on and i don't care what others think!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Morbus
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004 06:46:30 AM »

haha...i have that fabric!!  i havent done anything with it yet though.  

i dont think i have any advice to add, seems like everyone as covered it.  good luck, tell us how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can kill you with my brain.
BuffaloRohm

I love llamas!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004 04:31:51 PM »

This is absolutely adorable! I love matching skirts and head-wraps so much... I like it just like it is, but if you do want to tone it down, I agree with a wide band of solid color at the top... black would probably be the best (aka most slimming) but if it were me, I'd do bright red, but i'm just a nerd like that. Don't make purses out of it though!! It's too cute as a skirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay! I'm engaged! 8/4/08
KOhlthemule
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004 08:29:25 AM »

Hey thanks everyone.  My Pookie is having kittens any day now and freaks out if the machine is out,  and chews on my fabric.....so I haven't done anything with the skirt yet, but thanks for all the suggestions.

answer some of the questions:

Its not a big butt or big thigh thing.

its just a middle thing.  but not tummy middle,  just side middle.  but not so much of a deal that I would actually do a sit up or anything. Grin

so I think it looks good from my crotch line and down.  its the waist to legs that are "box-y"  if you could picture that.    
thanks gals for the support

KElly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where are my scissors!!!
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004 05:41:59 AM »

can we see it on you? Maybe that would help. I personally like La Ragazza's post, but i doubt your the typical fat girl.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recyclerdudette
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004 04:44:17 AM »

Aw, bless Pookie's little heart.  The last days of pregnancy aren't easy for anyone...woman or cat.  I'll bet you can't wait to see the new kitties.

To avoid that boxy look, I think you'll want to define your waistline while drawing attention away from your love handle area.  Toast's suggestion for putting a band of solid fabric at the top will help.  Another alternative is to make a grosgrain ribbon belt with the D rings to wear sort of "slung" over the skirt.  Red or yellow might be good colors to use.  

Check out this thread to see a link to the kind of belt I'm talking about:
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=42;action=display;threadid=3930

Hope that helps.  BTW, let us know when the kittens are born.
Jan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not old, I'm VINTAGE!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Smart Collections in Lightroom 2
Using the Filter Bar in Lightroom 2
All About Collections in Lightroom 2
Installing a Web Widget in Dreamweaver CS4
Creating a Flash Gallery Using Bridge CS4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...