A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How important is the way you hold your hook?  (Read 1521 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chaychay
« on: June 16, 2011 07:35:14 PM »

In most tutorial videos (not all of them), the handle of the hook is above the hand (like a pencil), but I tend to hold my hook under my hand (as if I would knit). Does it make a difference?
I tried to hold my hook the other way, but my loops tend to slip off and its totally awkward. So I wonder if it makes sense to go through the trouble of learning it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011 08:22:37 PM »

I hold my hook like you do. If you are getting tthe results you want, then you're fine.

I believe the pencil hold was seen as more lady-like in the old days.  I tried it, and found that my wrist and hand started to hurt after a short while.

It seems like folks who use the pensil hold complain more often about pain, but I could be suffering from confirmation bias.

As an aside, you do need the knife hold if you want to do tunisian crochet or crochet-on-the-double, I would think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lionne
brain and food color eating were-zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011 04:30:08 AM »

When I learned how to crochet I had no clue how to hold hook and yarn. I learned from books and a nurse (i was in hospital then). Both didn't show me how to hold them, so I did it like I was used to from knitting. I wrap the yarn around my finger and hold the hook like a knitting needle, and it work's very well.
Later I've seen the "right" way to hold them and tried it. It didn't work for me.
As long as I get a good result and am comfortable I don't care if it's wrong or right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/lionne

I'm interested in personal swaps.
For a project I'm in need of Christmas countdown inchies! If you're interested and/or want more information feel free to pm me.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011 04:57:15 AM »

I'm not convinced that there is a "right" way to hold the hook. If you get the results you want and are not in pain, then you're doing it right.

It's like the pick vs throw argument in knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chaychay
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011 06:35:40 AM »

Thank you very much for your kind answers!
So far my products look (more or less) like intended. I never tried more complicated patterns like doilies or something like that, so I wondered if my technique would give me trouble then. But if you dont have any problems I guess its going to be fine. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011 03:22:14 PM »

I've tried the pencil hold, but it feels incredibly awkward when I try to crochet that way. Holding my hook overhand works best for me, and I've done everything from afghans with my giant Q hook to gloves made with thread and my size 7 hook. No problems whatsoever. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
queenofcrows
Unrepentant Alistair/Jowan Whore

Ambiguous rubbish!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011 08:52:11 AM »

The pencil hold is unbearable for me, as well. It's slow, clumsy, and messes with my arthritic thumb even more than the knife hold. I know others who prefer the pencil hold and would say exactly the same thing about the knife hold.

Generally, so long as you're getting the results you want and are comfortable, don't worry too much about how you hold your hooks. Smiley Just remember to always take a break every hour or so to rest and stretch your wrists and fingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I prefer male Grey Wardens.

"I am not playing. It's a carefully conceived tactical maneuver." ~Knight-Commander Greagoir

My deviantART (fiber + digital): http://queenofthecrows.deviantart.com
hellyaellen
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011 12:27:14 PM »

I hold my hook like in knitting, sort of like holding a knife. It doesn't matter how you hold the hook as long as it's comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherrylime

I have sewn for the cows and they were pleased.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011 02:05:38 PM »

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one that holds my hook this way! I just cannot transition to a pencil hold no matter how many times I try. I really should just make peace with the knife hold since I get great results. It just feels so clumsy, if effective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Home Depot is my happy place.
My Pinterest
Currently obsessed with cables and quilts
Xecaria
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011 07:16:34 AM »

I learned with the pencil way of holding the hook and that works fine for me.

I'm not showing any signs of pain, but maybe that because I'm a younger crocheter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I win the lottery I will spend it all at Hobby Lobby.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Terrie M. Williams Talks About Black Pain
Kate Torgovnick Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount Book Trailer
One Great Truth Book Trailer
Alison Larkin Talks About The English American
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...