A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,091
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Nautiloid Hat? How could that happen?  (Read 380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2011 03:46:25 PM »

I am trying to make a nautiloid (a spiral shaped sea creature) hat.

I can manage the part to affix the nautiloid onto, but I am at a loss at the hat. I want it to be big and crazy (like Princess Beatrice hat).

I have bolt of tulle, which I thought would work to sculpt a spiral shape. But I have a block.

Any ideas? I'd love to get feedback and ideas. And I would be greatly indebted! Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011 03:55:21 PM »

You could sew a tube that gets narrower smoothly towards one end out of a fabric you'd want the creature to be, then stuff the tube, sew it closed and roll it up into a spiral, sewing each turn of the spiral to the one under it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
idioskosmos
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 08:08:37 PM »

It might be easier to do a cross-section of a nautilus shell, rather than the whole thing.  The cross-section is also really pretty - you could applique bits of lace to the tulle to suggest the shell's chambers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011 08:41:38 PM »

You could sew a tube that gets narrower smoothly towards one end out of a fabric you'd want the creature to be, then stuff the tube, sew it closed and roll it up into a spiral, sewing each turn of the spiral to the one under it.

Thank you! I keep trying to envision it, and I just have no idea. And I have knitted them before! Smiley

I was worried about weight. It's for a Mermaid Parade so it does not have to be super light, but I wondered. Do you think tulle would be ok? I was thinking I could stuff it with tulle too. I do have other random fabric I could break out too.

hmmmm...

Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011 08:43:07 PM »

It might be easier to do a cross-section of a nautilus shell, rather than the whole thing.  The cross-section is also really pretty - you could applique bits of lace to the tulle to suggest the shell's chambers.

I had not thought about that approach. It is really pretty-you are right.

I still am a little perplexed on how to make it happen. But I think I need to just break out fabric and start experimenting. The getting started part is the bane of my crafting existence! Once I start, I am good to go though.

I appreciate it! Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011 08:55:53 PM »

Personally I would go with another fabric for the outside/visible part of the shell . I think the turns of the spiral might blend together too much with tulle. You could stuff it with tulle to keep the weight down and make it stiffer though. Regular polyfill stuffing isn't very heavy either, but since you already have tulle, might as well try it with tulle! Grabbing some fabric and just experimenting sounds like a pretty good idea  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roasted Garlic and Golden Yukon Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Maple Sausage Gravy Recipe
Thanksgiving Turkey Roulade Recipe
How to Roast the Perfect Turkey
How to Make a Standing Rib Roast
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...