A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is acrylic really that bad?  (Read 3665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013 07:39:53 PM »

I don't like acrylic for sweaters because it produces static in my hair in the winter. Other than that, I just made myself slipper socks from acrylic, a hat from acrylic (ok, part of it was an acrylic/wool blend), and have made a lap afghan and amigurumis with acrylic. Though you might ask your co-worker where she got her yarn, so if you ever do get an urge to buy $40 yarn, you know where to go (or where to stay away from, as the case may be).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
dingletwit
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013 08:06:53 PM »

One thing to consider with synthetics, especially for baby stuff, is fire safety. Synthetics melt and adhere when exposed to heat, which means that should a blanket or piece of clothing ignite, you'll have a heck of a time removing it (not to mention that the fumes are toxic). Wool, on the other hand, is about as flame-retardant as you can get in an untreated fiber. Manufactured baby clothes (and mattresses and blankets) are treated with flame retardants, but your average off-the-shelf acrylic yarn is nothing more than spun plastic fibers.
A lot of people use acrylics for baby things with no ill-results, and it may be a case of over-thinking to say acrylics are unsafe for babies; fire safety is something to keep in mind, nonetheless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feral Dog
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013 12:51:45 AM »

I use acrylics or sometimes cotton for almost everything, but I got this really nice alpaca lace to make a motif crop-top sweater-thing for my little sister- she's not one for luxury items, but she happened to be in the yarn store with me because it was on the way to the mall and kept fiddling with that particular yarn. She asked me if I could make her a sweater out of it, then was scandalized at the price tag... So I'm going to surprise her with one when she comes back over the summer (she's a July baby, so it's perfect!).

But yes, yarn snobs... oye... I've used lovely acrylics and horrible wools (and the reverse), so it's more a matter of the thread's overall quality and not composition. Be warned: The way it feels as a skein might not be the way it feels as a finished product! My local yarn shop supplies flax linen thread, which feels waxy to the touch but works up to a nice, non-waxy fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ncmurray512
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013 08:46:49 AM »

I also use Acrylic yarns exclusively. I've made many blankets, hats, etc. If I'm making baby items I tend to choose some softer acrylic. I have 5 kids and we are a one income family so I just don't have the budget for expensive yarns. I do love making things for others as gifts and like to have a lot of color options within my stash. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013 09:37:10 AM »

I use almost exclusively Phentex yarns. 100% acrylic, made in Quebec, and super soft regardless of weight or colour.

I made the mistake of buying Red Heart ONCE, and it constantly caught on any imperfection in my skin and made any chapping and hangnails waaaay worse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013 09:44:09 AM »

There's a pin on Pinterest that shows what you can do to soften the cheaper acrylic yarns.  I haven't tried it yet, so I can't personally vouch for if it works or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
itscribe
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013 03:18:25 PM »

I've just never understood the concept of approaching someone who is knitting or crocheting and saying "Ew, gross, that's cheap-oh yarn. I hate cheap _____ yarn."

I think the squeaking happens when using acrylic yarn on an acrylic hook. I'm not a fan of plastic hooks myself - have broken several in my hand and am thankful I wasn't cut by them.

I guess I'm just weird. I would have asked you what you were making. If you mentioned having trouble with the yarn or a lack of colors, I would have made suggestions BUT, they would have been for similar types of yarn. If I had had difficulty with the yarn in the past, I might have asked you how you got around that problem. But, suggesting you ditch your moderately priced yarn for some $40 yarn is just idiotic.

Heck, Ms. $40 a skein is a lightweight. I saw a kit with 3 tiny skeins of some wonder-yarn for $295 at our LYS! Yes, you read that right...$100 a skein. I think it was to make a scarf or something. It wouldn't have been very big considering how little yarn there was. I thought it was a misprint - I checked several packages and they all said the same thing. As I was trying to put my eyes back in my head, the clerk came over and mentioned how nice the yarn in question was. Yeah, sure honey, soon as I rob a bank or win the lottery. And even then, I'm not forking over $300 to make a little scarf for myself - for that much, I want something I can't make for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Film Grant
White Balance Chronicles
The Secret to Smart Screenwriting
Derek Haas on What Makes Hollywood Nervous
The Importance of Creative Collaboration
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...