A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magic ATC Tutorial w/ Pictures (LOTS!)  (Read 4547 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2011 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 15, 2011 10:04:45 PM »

I made what is called a "magic" ATC for my swap partner in the Ongoing ATC Swap - June 2011 and there were a lot of people asking how it was done.  I have a hard time imagining instructions, so this is for those of you like me who need some pictures along with instruction (and because I love pictures!).  I learned how to do this at a card making party a few years back.  Here is the ATC I made for my swap partner:

Oooooo, magic!

And now onto the instructions!

Step 1:  Cut your base card and another piece of paper for your border that will go on top to the normal ATC standards (2.5" x 3.5").  My base card is a old game card.  Yay for recycling!  I like because its nice and thick.

Step 2:  Cut an opening into the piece of paper that you are using for your border.  I have a nifty oval template that I use.

Step 3:  Cut a piece of white paper to stamp your image onto.  It needs to be just short of the length of the card.  

Step 4:  Temporarily align the white paper that you just cut behind the border.  I temporarily taped it to the border to hold it into place while I stamped it.  The tops of each piece of paper should aligned together at the top middle of the card.  Then stamp your image onto the white piece of paper.  Then remove tape and separate the border and the stamped piece.

Step 5:  Stamp the same stamp onto a sheet of acetate paper (also known as overhead sheets) using a permanent ink that is meant for all surfaces.  I use a Stazon ink pad.  They are wonderful!  They don't bleed so you can watercolor or marker over them without worrying about bleeding.  

Step 6:  Line up the two stamped images and tape the bottom layer to the acetate sheet to make cutting easier.  Cut out the acetate sheet to the same size as the other piece.  Then add a small piece of tape at the top middle to keep the two together.

Step 7:  Add color to the image on the white piece of paper.  Just lift up the acetate paper and draw/paint away!  I filled mine in with watercolors.

Step 8:  Now its time to cut a piece of white paper that will go in between the two stamped layers.  This one should be just a little wider than the opening of the border and as tall as the opening of the border but reaches all the way down to the bottom of the card.

Step 9:  Tape the piece of paper that you just cut to the bottom of the base card.  Make sure it is centered at the bottom.

Step 10:  Add double sized tape or glue to the side edges of the border on the back.  Try not to glue too far in otherwise the stamped pieces won't be able to side in and out.  Don't add glue at the top and bottom edges of the border.  I used double stick tape.  Mine has a brown backing that I peel off.  Apply the border to the base card.

Step 11:  Now its time to make some magic!  Take the two stamped layers and starting with the solid white and slide that behind the white paper that is attached to the card under the border.  Next slide in the clear layer under the border on top of the white paper that is attached to the base card.

Step 12:  Cut a triangle into the border so that you can punch a hole into the two stamped layers and add ribbon.

Step 13:  Embellish the border to your hearts delight!  I added real mini star fish because I have a friggin' ton of them and they are cute!  ^_^

Step 14:  ENJOY!

I now challenge you to make a magic ATC card!  ^_^
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011 10:11:43 PM by jillybeans » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011 11:12:15 PM »

challenge accepted! Might be a while though before i'm able to follow through.

Awesome card. Thanks for the tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcartwright856
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 12:05:49 AM »

Wow! After reading over the tute a few times, it's still magical to me! Thanks for sharing your awesome work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011 03:17:34 PM »

Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
IsikkahJai
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

BAKA LOVE FOREVER! ^.^

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011 01:08:40 PM »

WHOA!!! I was never into ATC's or anything of that ilk but this is probably the coolest thing I've seen done with paper and ink! I'd love to make greetings cards like this. Woohooo--- it'll trip people out!!! XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011 09:35:46 PM »

WHOA!!! I was never into ATC's or anything of that ilk but this is probably the coolest thing I've seen done with paper and ink! I'd love to make greetings cards like this. Woohooo--- it'll trip people out!!! XD

They do make fun greeting cards!  That's exactly what I learned it for at the stamping party I went to, and then applied it to ATC's.  It totally does trip people out!  It is fun!  I made one, showed my husband and he was amazed with the one I made there.  Then he totally forgot about it and was totally amazed again when I made this ATC.  lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

MichellesCraftBasket
~Michelle

I wanna make that, too!!

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011 04:47:26 PM »

Husbands are funny!  I want to trip mine out, too!  That was a super fun tutorial, and I have a ton of overhead sheets (I'm a teacher, who doesn't use the projector anymore!) so I'm ready to go!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps!  Wanna swap ATCs??  Cheesy

I need a cover for my laptop - Can you make one?  Wanna do a Personal Swap for it?

Work Your Theme ATC Swap - Waiting for feedback!
Check out my new stuff @ http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221243924562212.65906.147277021958903&l=7158a825ea&
Gente de Massinha
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011 04:33:41 PM »

Hi, I was here searching for someone to readproof a magic card tutorial I made, see if it is clear and point out the English errors. And then I see this post, lovely work. I love that you put embellish in it. I was afraid to put them in mine.
Well, if some of you can readproof the tut and help me, please send me a personal message?
That`s the black card i made:

Please excuse my bad english.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011 05:55:25 PM »

Ooo, yours turned out nice!  I love the idea of doing it on black.  I really makes the image pop out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

ravengrrl
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011 01:31:31 PM »

Very cool! I've been doing ATCs for years (with a very long break up until now) and I've never seen this technique before. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Burn Blu-Rays With FCP 7
how to Install Photoshop CS2 with Wine
How to Touchup Portraits in Photoshop
How to Create Fruit in Photoshop
How to Create Text Effects in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...