A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baking glass  (Read 419 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Think
« on: June 15, 2011 08:31:47 PM »

I'm planning on baking a piece of poly clay onto the glass cover of a watch. Anyone know if the glass will withstand the heat or would it crack/break?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The big picture may be amazing but it's the little details that inspire.
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011 09:19:04 PM »

i've only baked fimo onto glass once before but the same thought did occur to me at the time Undecided. in this instance instead of preheating the oven to the correct temperature before curing  i put it in then switched on the oven to allow the glass to heat more slowly. if you put it in with an oven thermometer then you can begin timing the curing when the oven reaches the correct temperature.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Think
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 06:21:09 AM »

Good thinking, I'll definitely try that. Cross my fingers and hope it works! Thank you for replying Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011 08:34:34 AM »

Glass in general can take much higher heat than the low-temp ovens we use to cure polymer clay, but some glass might crack under the right circumstances.  Just putting clay over any glass (or over other surface) also buffers the temp from spiking**, and insulates it if not baking a long time.

So if possible:
...don't change temps quickly (especially letting it cool gradually in the oven and especially not putting down on a cold or wet surface while hot)...you could even use a "completely enclosed" baking method
...put the item in when the oven is preheated unless you're positive that in your particular oven the normal spiking of temperature the thermostat usually does to reach the temp you've set on the dial won't be so high that it becomes a problem
...cover the glass completely, or mostly, with clay (to insulate, buffer)
...strangely enough, be more careful with thick glass than thinner glass
But for what you're doing, you shouldn't have any problems at all and I wouldn't worry about it.

**pre-coating the glass with a permanent white glue (then allowing to dry, or tack up well) will also act as a buffering layer since it's flexible/elastic --that's normally done to give a bit less-slick and a tackier surface for the clay to grab onto while raw

You might also want to check out the Covering and Baking pages of my site for more details on those topics:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/covering.htm (click on Glass & Ceramic category)
http://glassattic.com/polymer/baking.htm

P.S.  If you're completely covering glass (front, back and sides) in some area, the clay itself could crack though because polymer clay shrinks ever so slightly when cured but glass will stay the same.  So if you're using a thin layer of clay, covering a large-ish area of glass, and not using the glue layer, you could have that problem (but not what you're doing).

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011 08:41:16 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Think
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011 04:56:40 AM »

Thanks so much!. I tried it and it worked just fine, no cracks on either the glass or the clay. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sandra Brown Talks About Rainwater
Kate Feiffer Talks About Which Puppy
Chasing Brooklyn Book Trailer
Meet Author Mary T. Browne
Robin Kelley Talks About Thelonious Monk
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...