A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Removing polymer glaze?  (Read 659 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CupofChelsea
« on: May 25, 2011 07:47:36 AM »

Hey!

Sorry, I wasn't entirely sure what part of the board to post this in, but is there a way to remove the glaze on polymer clay? More specifically....my lid wasn't screwed on right and I spilled it on my husbands car seat! Now, he's out of town for a bit but I need to get it off right away. It's hardened and dried up, and I chipped some of the thicker pieces off but it's on cloth/suede and I don't want to mess the seats up.

Is there any chemical that will break it down? Nail polish remover? Paint thinner? Hopefully without removing the seat. Thanks!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011 10:10:51 AM »

You don't say exactly which material you used as a "glaze" on polymer clay, but most of them are water-based so the main solvent is water.  Just try soaking the area with water for hours or even longer and hope that the finish will soften and can be peeled off (the finish won't "dissolve" or anything like that though). 
The permanent white-glue type finishes (decoupage mediums like ModPodge or thinned white glue, and Diamond Glaze, etc) are a little more susceptible to softening from water/humidity exposure, so those could be easier to soften.

Sometimes soaking in diluted ammonia has been used to soften and help remove acrylic finishes, but don't know if that would discolor the seat fabric.
And some people have used alcohol and acetone, but again don't know how that would affect the fabric color.

You can also try just mechanical abrasion... i.e., scraping, chopping, sanding, etc, to see how much you can get off, at least first, but be careful of the underlying fabric.

All of these finishes are permanent though once they've dried, although it could take a week for them to fully "cure" as well (unless there's heat in the car which would make that quicker), so do what you can now.

You might want to read more about removing and cleaning areas that have water-based clear finishes on them for more details/ideas, at these two pages of my site:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/safety_health_cleaning.htm (click on Cleaning, then scroll down to Carpets & Fabric)
http://glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm (click on Removing, under the Future category)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 10:13:07 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Kiraslye
Grow your craft biz and give it wings!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011 07:11:16 PM »

If the glaze was actually polymer based, the solvent is acetone. Just be careful because it can take the finish off lots of things Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie a Decorative Bow
How to Tie a Square Knot Properly
Choosing Sewing Machine Thread
How to Identify the Parts of a Sewing Machine
How to Sew a Throw Pillow
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...