A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where the grickle-grass grows ...  (Read 1477 times)
Tags for this thread: mural  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2011 09:29:09 PM »

I started this mural several years ago but never got around to finishing it. I ignored it for so long that the paint faded, so I couldn't complete it without repainting the old parts first. I finally had time to work on it this week. Aside from a few minor details and a couple of spots I can't reach until my husband gets a hand free to hold a ladder for me, I'm finally done with it:

I still have to do a little detail work on the far right, finish the sky and the Truffula tuft on the upper left, and complete the shading on the Once-ler's shop and the upper parts of the clouds and Truffula tufts, but I doubt it will take more than an hour to finish up.

A closer look. I was especially pleased with the way the thneed turned out.

I spent a lot of time collecting snail shells and begging my parents to take me for walks near the edge of town. I had it in my head that there might actually be a Street of the Lifted Lorax, and I was determined to find it, hear the Once-ler's story, and get the Last Truffula Seed of Them All so I could grow those crazy trees and get the Lorax and his friends to come back.

I thought the Lorax was an appropriate subject for a mural in the backyard of a house that has solar panels on the roof and a Honda Insight in the driveway. Smiley

Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011 09:36:03 PM »

I am absolutely in LOVE with it!  I wish I had half your talent and I would do this to my shed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011 09:40:30 PM »

Thanks. Seuss is pretty easy to imitate, because his drawings are relatively simple, and the detail is kind of scribbly. If you're not confident freehanding, you could always do like we did in high-school art class and divide a picture into a grid, then make a larger grid of the same proportions on your wall and sketch one square at a time. That always helped me get the proportions right when I was drawing portraits and whatnot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Mary Baker Eddy

BirdBones
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011 12:12:24 AM »

Aww Grin I love it! Transforming buildings with huge paintings is the best, especially into the wonderful world of Dr.Seuss! I bet this makes you smile every time you walk by.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arachnes thumb
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011 10:58:08 AM »

That's very cool! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cooksr
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011 01:49:19 PM »

**swoon** My 3 year old requests this book almost every night before bed. We love it. He always holds his hand out to catch the last truffula seed on the last page. He would go crazy over this mural - fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"let choice whisper in your ear and love murmur in your heart. Be ready. Here comes life"
- Maya Angelou
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011 03:18:16 PM »

cooksr: I love it. I was constantly collecting snail shells and always drove my parents crazy asking them to take me for long walks as a kid. I don't think I ever told them that I was casing the far end of town for grickle-grass so I could find the Once-ler, hear the story, and get that Very Last Truffula Seed of Them All. I spent a lot of time stressing out over the difficulty of determining whether a snail shell had, in fact, belonged to a great-great-great-grandfather.

If I ever get a hand free and figure out where I put the snail shells I found in my garden this spring, I'm going to make a little Lorax retablo-type thing out of an Altoids tin, with fifteen cents, a nail, and some Seuss images inside and out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Mary Baker Eddy

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High-Low Hems Are Perfect For Summer
CFDA Fashion Awards Winners And Red Carpet Style
Get Trendy In Sporty Chic Shorts
Finding the Perfect Summer Dress
Angelina Jolie Makes a Sexy Statement at Her First Post-Surgery Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...