A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,920
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patchwork Skirt Sew-Along  (Read 7469 times)
Tags for this thread: patchwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jasper Illusian
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011 05:12:01 PM »

Oh, and I forgot to say, today - or was it yesterday...? maybe one today and one yesterday - anyways, I bought two batches of gorgeous colorful 4" squares from Etsy (I can't remember how many were in each, I think maybe 100 and then 40?). At least one of them was a batch of batik squares (so beautiful). Getting enough really colorful fabric is always a pain (I can never find exactly the kind of patterns I want not to mention exactly the right color... yeesh  Tongue), and that way I don't have to cut some of them out. Sometime I'll have to do some math to see if the monies actually work out in my favor...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlmostDawn
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011 08:43:26 PM »

I want to make one of these skirts so very badly! I know for sure I don't have enough fabric to get started. Not at all.

I think I need to go through my fabric this weekend and see exactly what I do have.

Etsy for squares is such a good idea, Jasper!

Jezebel--The skirt is coming along so well. I absolutely can't wait to see the red and pink tiers added!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewallegorical.com

Stalking me?: http://pinterest.com/allegorical/

50 in 2011: 14/50
Sketchbook Project 2012: Untitled
meggy_doodle
Professional Daydreamer

Do YOU know the muffin man?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011 10:19:00 AM »

I tried to sit down last night and cut out some more squares for my skirt but I got distracted by the t.v.  Cheesy Plus it was like 1 a.m. when I started so I was also super tired. I have to work tonight but I have a day off tomorrow so I'm going to try my best and get all of my pink cut out and all of my green as well. Really excited to start sewing on this thing and see it come together!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: www.wists.com/Megnificent

50 Projects a Year 2012:
2/50
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011 10:06:59 PM »

I haven't been able to do anything at all Sad Both of my machines are out of comission, with no hope of repairing either in sight, and I am STILL waiting on the machine shop to call me back about a replacement plate for the serger.
This makes me sad.

BFF (she of the amazing helper-ness, and much raved about in my blogs of this work) suggested putting in a zipper, since I'm already crazy enough to want to make a proper waistband, do a proper hem on top of all the serging & add pockets. I haven't actually weighed the skirt, but I'm pretty sure it's close to 15lbs without the final 2 tiers or anything else I want to do to it.
At first, I laughed off the zipper idea, but the more I sit unproductively with this hanging in my bedroom staring me in the face every night when I fall asleep & every morning when I wake up, the more I think she might be on to something.
I recently purchased two twin-size duvet covers at a thrift store. They are identical, and obviously homemade from some twin sheets. DS loves Buzz Lightyear, and I purchased them both with the intent of using one as a duvet cover for his bed, and ripping the other one apart to cover the god-awful brown-leather-glued-to-pressboard that is the top of the built-in cabinet in his bedroom. Leaving me with a long zipper with no home.

So, as per BFF's suggestion, I could (theoretically) install this zipper between two tiers, making this a convertible patch skirt. I could have a knee-length circle skirt, or a full-length one, with very little extra work.
Do you ladies think it might work? Or would the bulk of a zipper interfere with the flow & spin of the fabric? (which it does spin beautifully already!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
idioskosmos
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011 03:57:12 PM »

As it so happens, I'm also working on a patchwork rainbow skirt!  I'm not nearly as far along as you, however.  I want to make mine out of silk to keep the weight down, and I'm using reclaimed thrift store stuff for the squares (I never realized how rare purple silk is!) so it's going to take a while.  I'll post pictures when I'm further along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011 06:08:14 PM »

silk is so hard to find here, let alone enough of it to make a skirt out of!
I can't wait to see where you're at when you share with us Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011 06:23:07 PM »

I made one of these a while back! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=300244.0  (please excuse the camera phone pics.)

I know it's a little late, but I wanted to recommend doing the gathering from the bottom up, rather than starting at the waist.  I found it to be much easier to gather the skirt to a tier that was still flat, rather than gather a new tier to an already rufflely skirt.

Just wanting to help out anyone who wants to tackle this massive project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011 08:15:33 PM »

Ashling - your skirt looks great Smiley
I wish someone would have told me to ruffle the last layer & work my way up the skirt before I got started lol.
Not only is it easier to do, but it also makes the last bit of the skirt less daunting. I'm still waiting on a needle plate for the serger so I can finish this up, but I am thoroughly dreading the thought of ruffling my pink layer and attaching it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011 03:13:26 AM »

Thank you.  Smiley

You still have the red and the pink layers, right?  You could gather the pink to the red, and then gather the red to the purple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011 07:36:20 PM »

I was actually thinking of doing that, mainly because of the weight of the skirt...It's quite massive, and the last 2 tiers way almost as much as the rest of the skirt together lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Thicken Your Hair on Any Budget
How Much Damage Are You Doing To Your Hair?
Are Robots The Key To Battling Hair Loss?
Celebrity Horror Hairstyles
Pixie Perfect Celebrity Haircuts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...