A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patchwork Skirt Sew-Along  (Read 7366 times)
Tags for this thread: patchwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 14, 2011 08:48:56 PM »

I know this a long shot for the entirely insane, but would anyone be interested in a patchwork skirt (or dress) sew-along?

I've started this one, but there are plenty more options out there!
This is a great one for kids, and vegbee has a tut up on her blog
There's a great-looking patchwork wrap skirt as well
And one last one, just for good measure!

I've got a good start, but I'm at the point where I need a little encouragement & company to keep me going.
Here's a teaser pic:

All my fabric sorted, cut out & ready to start sewing!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011 09:01:04 PM by jezebel_1982 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011 07:40:28 AM »

Awesome! I love how these skirts look, but I'm a woman of short patience Tongue I made a kid's dress like this once and it took a few days. Slooooow going! The results were worth it, though. Best of luck with your projects, and I'm sure they'll be awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jasper Illusian
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011 01:16:43 PM »

Yesyesyesyesyes! Ahem, excuse me. Yes. I would love to. I haven't really started, since I just decided I had to make another (I did one with fiery colors, and I've been wanting to do a rainbow skirt, and yesterday I was inspired).

I can't wait to see progress! From what I can see of those patches, it looks like it'll be GORGEOUS. What size patches are you using?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011 05:40:30 AM by Jasper Illusian » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011 07:43:12 PM »

Jasper Illusian - I opted for 4"x4" with 1/4" seams. I'm also serging the hell out of everything lol.
So far, it's beautiful. I've put in over 50 hours, just was seeing if there was any interest before I put up some more pics. I'm using entirely gifted/thrifted fabrics, or small scraps that I had from previous projects.
Alexus - Thanks Smiley I have been in love with these for ages, but never thought I'd have the patience, either. The only reason I am even trying is because my ex's mother gave me two large boxes of quilting fabric, scraps, batting, stencils. I'm not a quilter lol. I took what I needed and re-gifted the rest to a friend who does quilt.

I think if I try one again (in the very far future) I will start with the last tier first, instead of top down. I'm losing patience now lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011 08:27:06 PM »

OK, so flood of pics & info to follow...

I've been pretty anal about this project. I sat down & did all the math to make sure it would work & that I had enough fabric before I even started cutting. 10 tiers, 4"x4" squares. I didn't figure in seams into my equations, but am using 1/4". The bottom hem is over 215 feet! (690 squares) I used a 1.5x increase on each tier, but a 2x increase on the final one for extra ruffle.
Colour scheme is white-white-orange-yellow-green-teal-blue-purple-red-pink. I love pink - it had to have the largest representation.
I am a big girl, so opted for a very large waist to accommodate all sizes. I'm also tall, so on top of the 10 tiers, I'll be adding a 4" waistband with a belt that draws through it like a drawstring.

Total planning & organizing time was 1.5hrs
First day of cutting was 5hrs. Rotary cutters are KEY! I managed to get the first 8 tiers cut
Second day of cutting was another 5hrs.
I also managed to fit in 2.5hrs of sewing on day 2 (that got all the squares in the first 4 tiers pieced together)
4.5hrs of sewing got me through piecing the next 3 tiers.
Day 4 I only put in 2.5hrs of sewing, which was tier 8 (purple) pieced together.
I then took a 3-day break. But Friday came, and DS was at his grandmother's for the weekend. A lot of my friends would have gone out partying, but I went to BFF's & we worked away on this craziness. 3.5hrs each on Friday night. Another 9.5hrs each on Saturday with her twins running around.
Total 2-day, 2-woman labour was 27hrs, but we got the 9th tier pieced, & the 10th well on it's way. While she stitched, I serged. Unfortunately necessary to do both, as her 4th thread won't keep tension & breaks all the time Sad
Sunday we did another 2.5hrs each, plus I sat for another 1/2hr later to finish piecing the pink. All serging is done on tiers 1-9, tiers 1-8 are attached & serged together. Tier 9 is awaiting attachment. Tier 10 is pieced, & partially serged, as well as hem in progress.
I think I will ruffle tier 10, attach to tier 9, and then attach them to the rest of the skirt.
Final stage will be the waistband, and if I'm feeling brave, adding pockets.
Total work time so far? 53.5hrs

Enough chit-chat! PICS!!!
Some favorite fabrics
Orange:

Yellows:

Greens:

Teals:

Blue:

(for how many different fabrics there were, I wasn't a fan of a lot of them. I should have grabbed a pic of the funny Dutch-looking stuff with donkeys, though)
Purple:

I gave up on taking individual fabric pics, because there are too many favorites, but some of them are scraps from baby clothes my mom made me, a couple pieces of scrap from my nursery curtains when I was a baby, a sash that I made in 7th grade when we were studying africa...lots of cool stuff!

Here's what it looks like so far, sans red & pink:
All laid out on the floor:

Hanging from a hanger, folded in half twice:

For scale - that TV stands to my armpit, so the top of the stand that it is hanging from is mid-thigh on me:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011 08:42:47 PM by jezebel_1982 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meggy_doodle
Professional Daydreamer

Do YOU know the muffin man?

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011 09:26:36 PM »

As it just so happens, I started on a rainbow patchwork circle skirt the other day. I'm making mine just below knee length with six tiers: pink, orange, yellow, lime green, teal blue and lavender. I'm also want to make a waistband out of some pretty white fabric that I have yet to get, lol. My squares are going to be 4"x4" as well. I've only got the orange and yellow completely cut out and only half of the pink, I'm just waiting on another day off work before I can cut out some more. I'll post pics as soon as I'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: www.wists.com/Megnificent

50 Projects a Year 2012:
2/50
Jasper Illusian
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011 05:27:50 AM »

Jezebel, it looks absolutely AMAZING. =D

Oh wow... 690 squares? That is going to look incredible!

Sadly, I don't think I'll have enough squares for a while, but I was thinking that I might cut out the squares whenever I have fabric that works, and then *maybe* also start sewing the rows together a little bit. (Only a couple of squares at a time, though, since I'll be getting new fabric along the way.)

Meggy, I'm really excited to see yours, too!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011 05:28:58 AM by Jasper Illusian » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011 02:21:41 PM »

Jasper, I could arrange to send you some fabrics to help bulk up your stash a bit. I have been de-stashing like crazy and trying to organize all of my craft stuff, which is another part of the reason I sat down to start this.
Maybe a private swap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jasper Illusian
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011 03:36:41 PM »

Oh my gosssshhhhhhh! That would be absolutely amazing! I'd love that, yes. ^_^ I've never done any swaps before, so you'd have to walk me through it.

I started cutting out squares today... Wow. It's gonna take a while. XD It's too bad our rotary cutter is broken... I really gotta get to Joann's tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011 04:34:43 PM »

I'll PM you, so as not to flood the board lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jasper Illusian
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011 05:12:01 PM »

Oh, and I forgot to say, today - or was it yesterday...? maybe one today and one yesterday - anyways, I bought two batches of gorgeous colorful 4" squares from Etsy (I can't remember how many were in each, I think maybe 100 and then 40?). At least one of them was a batch of batik squares (so beautiful). Getting enough really colorful fabric is always a pain (I can never find exactly the kind of patterns I want not to mention exactly the right color... yeesh  Tongue), and that way I don't have to cut some of them out. Sometime I'll have to do some math to see if the monies actually work out in my favor...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlmostDawn
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011 08:43:26 PM »

I want to make one of these skirts so very badly! I know for sure I don't have enough fabric to get started. Not at all.

I think I need to go through my fabric this weekend and see exactly what I do have.

Etsy for squares is such a good idea, Jasper!

Jezebel--The skirt is coming along so well. I absolutely can't wait to see the red and pink tiers added!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewallegorical.com

Stalking me?: http://pinterest.com/allegorical/

50 in 2011: 14/50
Sketchbook Project 2012: Untitled
meggy_doodle
Professional Daydreamer

Do YOU know the muffin man?

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011 10:19:00 AM »

I tried to sit down last night and cut out some more squares for my skirt but I got distracted by the t.v.  Cheesy Plus it was like 1 a.m. when I started so I was also super tired. I have to work tonight but I have a day off tomorrow so I'm going to try my best and get all of my pink cut out and all of my green as well. Really excited to start sewing on this thing and see it come together!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: www.wists.com/Megnificent

50 Projects a Year 2012:
2/50
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011 10:06:59 PM »

I haven't been able to do anything at all Sad Both of my machines are out of comission, with no hope of repairing either in sight, and I am STILL waiting on the machine shop to call me back about a replacement plate for the serger.
This makes me sad.

BFF (she of the amazing helper-ness, and much raved about in my blogs of this work) suggested putting in a zipper, since I'm already crazy enough to want to make a proper waistband, do a proper hem on top of all the serging & add pockets. I haven't actually weighed the skirt, but I'm pretty sure it's close to 15lbs without the final 2 tiers or anything else I want to do to it.
At first, I laughed off the zipper idea, but the more I sit unproductively with this hanging in my bedroom staring me in the face every night when I fall asleep & every morning when I wake up, the more I think she might be on to something.
I recently purchased two twin-size duvet covers at a thrift store. They are identical, and obviously homemade from some twin sheets. DS loves Buzz Lightyear, and I purchased them both with the intent of using one as a duvet cover for his bed, and ripping the other one apart to cover the god-awful brown-leather-glued-to-pressboard that is the top of the built-in cabinet in his bedroom. Leaving me with a long zipper with no home.

So, as per BFF's suggestion, I could (theoretically) install this zipper between two tiers, making this a convertible patch skirt. I could have a knee-length circle skirt, or a full-length one, with very little extra work.
Do you ladies think it might work? Or would the bulk of a zipper interfere with the flow & spin of the fabric? (which it does spin beautifully already!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
idioskosmos
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011 03:57:12 PM »

As it so happens, I'm also working on a patchwork rainbow skirt!  I'm not nearly as far along as you, however.  I want to make mine out of silk to keep the weight down, and I'm using reclaimed thrift store stuff for the squares (I never realized how rare purple silk is!) so it's going to take a while.  I'll post pictures when I'm further along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011 06:08:14 PM »

silk is so hard to find here, let alone enough of it to make a skirt out of!
I can't wait to see where you're at when you share with us Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011 06:23:07 PM »

I made one of these a while back! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=300244.0  (please excuse the camera phone pics.)

I know it's a little late, but I wanted to recommend doing the gathering from the bottom up, rather than starting at the waist.  I found it to be much easier to gather the skirt to a tier that was still flat, rather than gather a new tier to an already rufflely skirt.

Just wanting to help out anyone who wants to tackle this massive project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011 08:15:33 PM »

Ashling - your skirt looks great Smiley
I wish someone would have told me to ruffle the last layer & work my way up the skirt before I got started lol.
Not only is it easier to do, but it also makes the last bit of the skirt less daunting. I'm still waiting on a needle plate for the serger so I can finish this up, but I am thoroughly dreading the thought of ruffling my pink layer and attaching it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011 03:13:26 AM »

Thank you.  Smiley

You still have the red and the pink layers, right?  You could gather the pink to the red, and then gather the red to the purple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011 07:36:20 PM »

I was actually thinking of doing that, mainly because of the weight of the skirt...It's quite massive, and the last 2 tiers way almost as much as the rest of the skirt together lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011 03:55:27 AM »

Yeah, that's why I scaled mine down.  At 5 feet flat, I know I'm too small to pull off anything that big.  Smiley I also cheated a bit, by sewing some of the tiers ungathered.  Orange and yellow, green and teal, and blue and light purple are sewn flat before I started gathering, so even though I used 9 colors, I only did 5 gathers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011 03:46:04 PM »

Yeah, I'm 5'10", and a big girl to boot, so I think I can probably get away with a bit more fabric lol...I still love the scaled down version, though, much more practical.
If you have an action shot, you should share it with us Smiley

I hope to get back to mine and have another marathon to finish it off before summer comes to an end so that I can wear it out and about. I was actually hoping to wear it to pride, but our pride got cancelled due to bad weather, and it wasn't finished lol.

Next year, fat topless chick covered in tattoos wearing massive rainbow skirt. It will be a scene to remember : ) LMAO
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jasper Illusian
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011 06:07:47 PM »

Oh gosh, I hate when the subscribe doesn't work... =P

I haven't worked much on my skirt, since I'm a lazy bum and I've been kinda down, but I'm hoping that I'll actually get started. I got a bunch of absolutely GORGEOUS fat quarters from Joann's - which aren't as nice-feeling as I would wish (but maybe someday I'll do a patchwork skirt with rayon or something), but oh well.

I was a little worried about the weight of it, and now that you guys are talking about it, I'm thinking maybe I should go with a real waistband (as opposed to elastic or elastic plus tie), since I could always trade it out for a larger one if it gets to small...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ffrogg526
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011 10:33:34 AM »

HI everyone!!   I recently finished my own rainbow twirly skirt!  I didn't realize there was a craftalong for this otherwise I would have joined up!  Here's a link to my skirt posted on the clothing board!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=386843.0

Keep up the good work everyone!  Happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011 04:33:38 PM »

well, I have the new needle plate for the serger & have to figure out how to re-thread the damned thing since DS decided it would be fun to play with...hope the tension isn't off :S
tonight is looking to be a very good night to get this done...getting together with BFF who is my crafty side-kick (or maybe I'm hers?)
If I manage to get more done after my other project, I will post updates!

How's everyone else doing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011 02:53:18 PM »

well, we managed to finish the swap project, re-thread the serger & replace the needle plate. Too bad I forgot the power cord at home... Sad
But, we got another 4.5 hrs in on the skirt too! I have just over half of the pink ruffled & attached to the red!
With the previous 53.5 hours, this brings my total man-hours up to 58!

I figure another 15 hours ruffling, attaching & serging the existing layers. Then hopefully no more than 7 hours hemming & working on other finishing touches like the waist band & pockets.
I have given up on the idea of a zipper. Finding one long enough would be pretty hard, and I don't want to risk putting too much weight in & altering the amazing spin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011 04:09:11 AM »

a couple more short sittings this weekend has brought me to 62 hours!
I have all of the ruffling & attaching done Smiley

I wish the serger would cooperate, so I could finish the inside seams & hem, then it would be time to add the waist band, and maybe pockets.
It's so close I can almost taste it!!

How's everyone else doing? Any progress?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schultebunny
~*~ Little Firefighter Girl ~*~

It's not a matter of size, but a matter of heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011 06:44:03 AM »

I've started on my skirt! I wish I could find my camera so that I could post in-progress pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Working on getting back into swaps after some crazy two years!~

Please help me with my "patchwork" station blanket! I would love to get fire department patches! Thanks!
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011 08:28:23 AM »

I'm not starting this now. I already have one, made for me in a swap, but I would love to make my own. Even pregnant the way mine works would still fit me! I have a few charm packs and lots of scraps so when I do get around to making another one for myself, I think I will be all set. I don't think I would color coordinate the rows, though. Who knows. We'll see when (*if) it ever comes to pass. I'm excited to watch you guys, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011 10:05:33 AM »

hey jexxi! Thanks for stopping by Smiley
of course, if you try, we'd love to see it. Mine has been put on hold so many times it's ridiculous. It's quite the undertaking, for sure...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
H&M Launches Model Off Duty Collection
#MyModamobStyle Featured Reader @Melanee
Lululemon Recalls See Through Yoga Pants
5 Ways To Wear Bermuda Shorts
Selena Gomez Gets Sexy in Sequins and Lace
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...