A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
830 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing tip: pinning made easy  (Read 4914 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheeshoo
« on: March 17, 2004 08:15:25 AM »

Let me start by saying that I am VERY new to sewing. I've just been learning how to use my sewing machine over the past couple months. Yeah, I'm 30, but you can learn something new at any age!

One of my frustrations has been with something that SHOULD be very simple - pinning pieces together so that you can sew. I am just not good at this. After poking my fingers, bleeding on the fabric and or getting the pins caught up in the foot on the sewing machine, I thought, there has to be an easier way.

Those of you that are truely gifted with sewing may laugh at this, but for me, this works wonders. I STAPLE the fabric pieces together. Yeah you read that right - I just used my desk stapler and stapled instead of pinning. I could staple right up to the edge and save my fingertips, sewing machine, and sanity. The staples come out super easily, the foot of the machine glides right over them and the holes are not bigger than what you would get from pinning.

I know this is unconventional, but if someone out there is like me and having trouble with some of the sewing basics - this may help you too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hijole
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004 08:40:08 AM »

That's the best idea I've heard in a long time.

There are few things I hate worse than pinning.  Cutting fabric ranks right up there for me -- I'm a total klutz, even with a rotary cutter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkfluffy

the fluff maker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004 09:26:56 AM »

sheeshoo, you rock!!  no more sticking the pins through the fabric and right in to the fingertips!!  no more getting jabbed in the hand while sewing along!  i love it!  thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004 01:54:42 PM »

That's the best idea I've heard in a long time.

There are few things I hate worse than pinning.  Cutting fabric ranks right up there for me -- I'm a total klutz, even with a rotary cutter.

have you tried electric scissors? i know they sound scary (at least they did to me!) but i recently used my MIL's pair on a important project using expensive fabric (velvet - eek!) and it helped. i eventually got my own pair - yay! the cutting goes faster, with less struggle, so i never even pin the pattern to the fabric anymore - i just use weights. it's like eliminating a step, and lets you get to the actual sewing even faster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
peanut
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004 06:52:43 PM »

Oh. My. God.  Sheeshoo, you are my new hero.  Thank you so much for the tip!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
craftsurge

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004 08:16:40 PM »

I am glad there are people who hate pinning as much as me!!
One thing I did was glue a magnet to my sewing machine - that way as I sew if a pin gets loose I have a place to stick it without it landing on the floor.

I haven't tried the stapler technique but it is very resourceful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hijole

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004 10:57:45 AM »

I haven't tried electric scissors, Kabili.  I'll have to save up for them.

Using weights and electric scissors would make my least favorite part of the sewing process a lot faster and that much more tolerable.  Thanks for the suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

birdinaskirt
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004 04:43:23 PM »

wow, stapling is a fabulous idea!  thanks.

i'm with you all on this one... i hate pinning too.  i'm always sticking myself by accident and dropping pins on my floor.  i also hate basting the interfacing to the fabric.  i realize there are fusible interfacings, but i dislike ironing as much as i do pinning & basting (man, i am lazy!) so what i do is use tacky glue (the kind intended for fabrics that dries clear).  the glue is also great for securing rick rack or piping to fabric in place of pinning.  you just sew the puppy up without worrying about removing pins.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.birdinaskirt.com
handmade goodies for humankind
starmeg
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004 07:33:38 PM »

How's this - my pattern cutting teacher is so smooth she hardly ever needs to use pins.  She can put in a zipper using - yes! - only one pin.  I bow at her feet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcdaou
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011 08:25:13 AM »

Stapling is great idea. however if you are working with a delicate fabric you cannot use staples.
I hand sew long stitches before i run on the machine. it is easy to undo as well and it does not leave any holes in any fabric you are using. this is my preference way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Destri With TMH
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011 02:58:56 PM »

I boycotted pins long ago, they make my bitter!  But staples...you're a genius!  Would not work for everything, but goodness, I can think of many projects I have finished recently that would have went much smoother.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carolinacrafting
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011 11:11:04 AM »

Layout is the worst thing about sewing for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tessie
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011 07:47:42 PM »

Bloody marvelous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supertink
Where's my pixiedust?

Fantastic!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012 11:52:12 PM »

I know this is old, but I use the clover red quilt clips for clothes. I hate pinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disneyphile
Rinique
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012 11:05:06 AM »

Ooh, I've heard those work great! I'll have to give stapling a try, whenever I work on fabric next, I mostly use felt for my projects ^^;
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supertink
Where's my pixiedust?

Fantastic!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012 11:11:23 AM »

They do work great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disneyphile
steiconi
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012 11:17:29 PM »

you know, it takes practice to make pinning easy, and if you avoid the practice, you'll never get good at it.  I would never staple, pins are SO much easier!  And sometimes weights.  And I can put in sleeves with a single pin.  Practice, Practice, Practice!

And avoid sewing over glue, tape, or other sticky stuff--it can gum up your machine.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012 11:25:04 PM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Puzzeling
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013 07:24:38 PM »

you know, it takes practice to make pinning easy, and if you avoid the practice, you'll never get good at it.  I would never staple, pins are SO much easier!  And sometimes weights.  And I can put in sleeves with a single pin.  Practice, Practice, Practice!

And avoid sewing over glue, tape, or other sticky stuff--it can gum up your machine.

Does this include things like Stitch Witchery?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013 02:03:21 AM »

I've never had a problem with stitch witchery or other dry iron-on type adhesives.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand and Reverse Hair Loss
How to Style Curly Hair
Learn About Hair Brushes
Learn About Hair Combs
Learn About Hair Rollers
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...