A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Transforming the kitchen with an island  (Read 1221 times)
Tags for this thread: kitchen  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

qwndiane
« on: June 14, 2011 03:29:47 PM »

When we moved into the house, the kitchen was room we did want to do much in except for dealing with this large open space.  The room was a great color, I made some curtains and some seat cushions but they did nothing to help the emptiness.  We decided it was time to do something about it started to price it out. 

We decided an island would work best in the open space.  After searching online and realizing what we wanted would cost about $1200 minimum, it was time to get crafty (in the end, the project cost about $500).  A friend donated two old kitchen cabinets which we used as a base.  We used the cardboard to gauge what size top to put on the island.  We kept it up for a few days to see how we could maneuver around the kitchen with it.

We nailed wainscoting and trim to the sides. 

We ended up ordering the countertop from lowe's because they offered the best price.  We attached it with screws and liquid nails and picked up some chairs from overstock.  We can't believe how nicely it turned out and were thrilled with how it looked in the room. 

The whole project took us about a month working on and off.  We use it so much and it transformed the room completely.  If you want to see step by step instructions, they are on my blog.http://dipez.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/its-the-final-countdown/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011 03:50:17 PM »

That turned out great! When I saw how big the kitchen was I thought an island would be perfect and it breaks up the large empty space very is very beautiful and useful Smiley Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
indigo flower girl
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011 05:54:43 PM »

So pretty!  You did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tricks to Dressing Slimmer
Plus-Size Style Tips
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Best Dressed Stars: Sports Illustrated Model, NYFW and More
Striped Swimsuit Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...