A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,383
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What acid dyes is best to dye wool?  (Read 3853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005 03:34:42 AM »

cake dye Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
hello.mango
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005 08:53:25 AM »

How do you know that a dye intended for something else will dye wool ok.  I only know about Kool Aid because of people like Heidi on My Papercrane saying she had used itto dye wool!  I would love to find an alternative more available in UK, but wouldn't know where to start!

Any advice on how to tell if something will dye wool.  I use white vinegar to fix it, does this work with anything?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handspun yarn and Crochet!
www.hellomango.co.u k
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hello_mango/
UK Crafters - GO HERE: http://www.craftermath.co.uk/index.html
Join in and help start a PROPER UK CRAFT SCENE.
Cila
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005 07:22:06 AM »

Hehe...if you'd like, I can send you some kool aid in the mail  Tongue  Seriously.  I can send you some so you can experiment and see if you like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello.mango
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005 11:00:10 AM »

Thanks for the offer, but I have already tried some thanks to wonders of Ebay!  If you can get it really cheap though and ship to UK I would be happy to pay you whatever it costs!  Let me know how much etc!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.hellomango.co.u k
cmoore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005 03:29:45 AM »

How do you know that a dye intended for something else will dye wool ok.  I only know about Kool Aid because of people like Heidi on My Papercrane saying she had used itto dye wool!  I would love to find an alternative more available in UK, but wouldn't know where to start!

Any advice on how to tell if something will dye wool.  I use white vinegar to fix it, does this work with anything?

Experimentation. Smiley
 When you add vinegar to food colouring you are in effect turning it into an acid dye. You can also use citric acid for the same purpose. This is why they work on wools and silks, and are not so good for cellulose.
Most food colourings can be used this way, though wilton's and kool-aid both contain a lot of suga, dont they? I just use the liquid food colours. If you really want to get into it, the best idea would probably be to buy actual acid dyes.

I had heard that some of the wilton's colours, such as purple and black, will separate, so you might want to be careful if you want an even colour.

A nice orangy gold can be obtained with onion skin, but then you have to get into a whole other world of dyeing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello.mango
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005 08:56:55 AM »

Thanks!  Like I said earlier, I have tried Kool Aid a few times now and have been more or less happy with the results, but it is awkward getting hold of it as I am in the UK.  I have found a good supplier on Ebay, but they don't always have the colours I want.

I haven't tried "proper" wool dyes as not sure where to get them from.  I think I will try food colouring though!  Especially for a nice deep red!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.hellomango.co.u k
mayerlove
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005 08:53:33 AM »

so you can add food coloring to the vingar water, steam the wool, and it dyes? how colorfast is it? that sounds appealing. my sisters keep complaining i'm using all hte koolaid up and they cant drink it. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
cmoore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005 12:53:34 PM »

Yes, this will work. Colourfastness depends of a few factors; type of food colouring you use, amount of time you steam it, the ratio of vinegar to water, how well it is rinsed, etc. Same kind of concerns as with koolaid and all dyes.

Here is a postcard I made with silk roving (the background) dyed with food colouring:

And a doll which used the same silk roving and silk organza, both dyed with red and yellow food colouring.

In my experience they have been very colourfast-I don't know about lightfastness, but since they are acid dyes, I don't think it would be a problem. I use a microwave to steam dyed items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005 09:10:01 PM »

Those colors are really vibrant!  I think I've been under-utilizing my dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005 09:31:30 PM »

Check out the livejournal community devoted to dyeing fiber: http://www.livejournal.com/community/dyeingfiber/

Lots of people are kind enough to give links, tutorials, and horror stories. I didn't have to scroll back very many pages before I found everything I could ever want to know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy a Hair Dryer
How to Avoid Helmet Hair
How to Style Bangs
How to Strip Hair Color
How to Straighten Your Hair with a Straightening Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...