A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
822 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer dress  (Read 2322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iloveskirts

You can never have enough fabric!!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2011 12:04:26 PM »

So I got this neat fabric at a yard sale and wanted to use it for a dress, but I didn't have enough for the length I like (I prefer long dresses).  I was digging around in my massive stash one day and found a solid knit fabric that went perfectly with the print knit I wanted to use.  So, I decided to make it up into a dress.

It's a bit brighter than I usually wear, but quite frankly I love it!  The unequal tiers go against my OCD and it took all I had in me not to make the tiers even.  I consider it a challenge to my disorder, one I won.   Some days I wouldn't have been able to leave the fabric at non-equal lengths, but this time I did.

It's really comfy and I wear it all but the hottest days here in stinky hot Missouri.  The thing is, it's heavy because it's a knit interlock dress and interlock weighs more than jersey or woven fabrics.  Still, I really like it and how bright it is.  I'm not hiding any more.  If people don't like how I look, they can look away.  

Trisha
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011 08:23:36 PM by iloveskirts » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't ask God to bless what you're doing.  Instead, find what He's blessing and do that!
He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011 10:23:37 AM »

Freedom is an awesome thing: freedom to fight (and win) your OCD and freedom to wear what you want and not worry what other people think!

The dress is great! (and your cats are precious)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
iloveskirts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011 08:33:16 PM »

Thanks!  It's great to be able to wear bright colors.  I see, looking at the pic, that the dress could use some darts since it looks about 2 sizes too big around my waist.  Maybe I'll play with that tomorrow. 

Oh and about the cats....we have three.  All rescued from the same shelter, and all hopelessly spoiled.

This is Princess.  She's 11 this year.  She's the queen of the house and everyone knows it.

This is Sassy.  She's 9 and was the last one we adopted.  She's part Siamese and is very skittish. 

This is Misha.  She's also 9, a bit younger than Sassy.  She's my stinker cat, full of mischief.

Once the kids all grew up and moved out I had to have companions.  We were just going to stop with one, but it just didn't end up that way.

Oh, and we also have chickens - 19 hens and one obnoxious but pretty rooster.

Trisha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't ask God to bless what you're doing.  Instead, find what He's blessing and do that!
He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011 02:05:19 AM »

Love the dress and the critters. Smiley

Maybe instead of darts, a tye in the back like this:http://www.hipsterchic.com/crystal-bias-plaid-dress/

?

Either would look good, really. They'd make a neat dress neater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
Trollis
Compulsive creator of doom!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011 03:09:15 AM »

Oh, what a lovley summerdress! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

With duct tape in you hand you can do anything!

My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/TossigaTrollis?ref=si_shop
iloveskirts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011 02:07:04 PM »

Love the dress and the critters. Smiley

Maybe instead of darts, a tye in the back like this:http://www.hipsterchic.com/crystal-bias-plaid-dress/

Either would look good, really. They'd make a neat dress neater!

That's a great idea!  Now I just have to see if I have any of either fabric left....LOL....or something I can substitute.  Heck, with all the fabric I have in this house, that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thank you!

Trisha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011 09:45:35 AM »

What a bright and cheerful dress! It looks very professionally made and so comfy too.

Also, I am all over the "If you don't like it, you can look away." sentiment! Preach it, sister!  Cheesy If you like it and it makes you feel good, who cares what anyone else thinks anyway, right?

Also-also, tortie cat love! Your Misha reminds me of my Belle, who was completely evil and yet sweet and loving when she felt like it. She died of old age at the ripe age of 18 a few years ago, and I still miss her terribly. May your babies live such long lives!

Sassy may be skittish because she's a tortoiseshell- they tend to be one-person cats, and not care much for other animals in the house.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
iloveskirts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011 01:01:43 PM »

Also-also, tortie cat love! Your Misha reminds me of my Belle, who was completely evil and yet sweet and loving when she felt like it. She died of old age at the ripe age of 18 a few years ago, and I still miss her terribly. May your babies live such long lives!

Sassy may be skittish because she's a tortoiseshell- they tend to be one-person cats, and not care much for other animals in the house.

I think Sassy is skittish and/or standofffish because she is part Siamese, and also because when I adopted her she had been returned by another family and seemed to have been either yelled at a lot or maybe even hit.  She was afraid of us for a couple years and it took her a while to warm up and even sit on the couch with us or maybe even on our laps.  It's funny how she and Misha are both torties and they are so vastly different in temperament.  Misha loves everyone, purrs like a pigeon, and is really friendly.  Sassy hates kids, and prefers to hide when new people come in the house.  She just started purring loud enough where I could hear it about a year ago, but I still have to put my head down near hers to make sure she's purring.  She does talk an awful lot, though, when it's just hubby and I at home....especially if she feels like she's being neglected or if she wants attention. 

Thanks for the comment.  I grew up caring very much what everyone thought about everything I did and it's just in the last few years I've started to get to where I am learning that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about what I wear as long as I'm comfy in it and it doesn't violate any standards of modesty.   Grin

Trisha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011 05:12:42 AM »

Grin This is so cute! Just like I would have made it; except I would have brought the waistline up a bit higher to give it a different proportion and elongate the figure. You look great in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BBWCrafter
Chubby Cartwheels

Sew In Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011 01:04:29 AM »

I love this dress and I love your attitude to go along with it! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art of VIBE: Chor Boogie & His Street Romantic Voodoo Modern Hieroglyphics
Artwork Stolen From Cuban Museum Worth $1.5 Million
Bristol Street Art Tours
Bristol Street Art Graffiti Workshop
How to Draw Better in 2 Minutes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...