A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feather hair extensions DIY now with TUTORIAL  (Read 22213 times)
Tags for this thread: hair_extensions , craftster_best_of_2011 , feather , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011 06:20:43 PM »

Just search for hair feather kits on amazon or ebay and you will find the crimp beads
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
Valrere
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011 12:42:24 AM »

I've done mine myself for months.  I have naturally curly hair; the feathers will actually somewhat adapt to your hair's original texture.  I treat them just as I would the hair growing out of my head other then being careful brushing and using heat products around the crimp bead area.  I flat iron my hair quite often and have used a curling iron on them as well.  The feathers hold up just fine.  I knew this shaping method wouldn't be harmful to the feathers as it's the same way I've been maintaining several pairs of feather earrings I own when then because unruly or misshapen.  For me it takes about 2 months for each extension to start to slip, which then I carefully slide it out once it gets low and lose enough to remove without damaging the hair it is attached to.  I then clip off the crimp bead and start all over with the feathers, putting them in different places and mixing up the color combinations.  I have no desire to die my hair, so these have been a great way to add some color for a unique style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pdxislander
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011 07:27:34 PM »

thank you for the tutorial.  I can appreciate that price is a major factor -- however, because of the booming popularity of this trend I've already seen an alert about roosters being put to death in factory-fashion to meet the demand.  Please do consider finding sustainable, humane suppliers for your feathers.  (I cite this article http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2011/07/28/flee-from-feather-hair-extensions.aspx?PageIndex=2).  I love the tutorial and thanks for the information -- I hate to be a buzzkill but i also know people who are thoughtful enough to craft are also caring enough to check into their supply sources and make sure inhumane methods aren't being used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alykins

lurking around every corner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011 11:07:13 AM »

Just thought I'd add that Etsy is a great source for cruelty-free feathers
http://www.etsy.com/search/supplies?search_submit=&ref=auto&q=cruelty+free+feathers&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&noautofacet=1

That being said, when I had dreadlocks, I sewed in feathers of all kinds that I had found on hikes. In my experience, they wouldn't look very good after a month or two. Maybe rooster feathers are different?

Anyways, great job DIYing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012 11:05:43 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2011 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 1/8
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 6/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 5/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 12/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 1/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...