A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Mosaic Tile Sealer Protector or Finish Help!  (Read 1936 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ErikaRT
« on: June 12, 2011 01:38:08 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but an internet search hasn't really helped much so I thought I'd try here. I have a Mid Century tile-top table that I bought at a garage sale. It needs a lot of T.L.C, including re-grouting, refinishing, and re-canning of the wicker bottom. Right now I'm working on the re-grouting of the glass tile, as big chunks of the original grout have cracked and come out. I'm wondering what type of sealer/protecting finish would be best to put on top of the tile and grout once it's done and dried. I've seen tile sealers at Lowe's and other hardware stores, but I think those are meant more for bathroom and floor tile. Would something like that work on a coffee table tile insert? Or should I use a sealer used for mosaic crafts and art? What type of sealers do you use to protect your mosaics? I would appreciate any suggestions or insight on this. Thanks so much!

Also, here are some pictures of the table just to give you a visual. It's not that big a tile section, probably 2 ft. by 1 ft. Don't mind my cat Jamaica; she loves to get in on the action, lol.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/Skydiamonds67/100_4629.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/Skydiamonds67/100_4631.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011 03:06:35 PM »

Hi Erika!
Great looking table, and kitty cat. Smiley

Not sure where you are in the project, so I'll begin in the beginning.

Remove as much of the old grout as is loose. Clean the surface by getting out any leftover dust. Check for loose tiles, and use tile adhesive or clear silicone to reapply. Let that set up for 24 hours before re-grouting.

Use sanded grout in whatever color you want, even if it means trying to match the remaining old grout. Mix your own grout instead of buying the premixed kind. Once grouted and cleaned let set up for 24 hours before sealing.

To seal the grout use TileLab sealant, apply as described on the bottle. You can find all the needed supplies at Lowe's or Home Depot.

If you have any other questions please ask. Also post the table when you get it done! Good luck! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011 03:07:28 PM by HSG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ErikaRT
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011 03:49:53 PM »

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Right now I'm at the stage of having cleaned out the old grout and dust. I have a sanded gray grout that I bought on Etsy that will match what's left of the original grout. I will let you know how the grouting and sealing goes and definitely post pictures of the finished product. It just might be a while, lol. This only is step 1 of 3 of getting the table back to its former glory. Hopefully when its done it will look like this:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/Skydiamonds67/1_81f6e50e7e61f3ff6499c09c63b582ae.jpg

Fingers crossed! Thanks again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011 05:13:27 PM »

Look forward to seeing it! Great contemporary design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeruleanEyes

Looking for a Swappers Anonymous program....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011 02:02:40 AM »

I don't have advice for you, I just want to marvel at such a cool table.  It's former glory is so beautiful!  I look forward to seeing how this project turns out for you, it's a really cool one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I totally stole that from your wist!!  Thank you! Cheesy

My Wist- http://www.wists.com/CeruleanEyes
ErikaRT
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011 07:33:02 PM »

I grouted the table yesterday and all went well for the most part. I did my best to wipe off the excess grout on the tiles, without taking too much of the grout away. I was careful to use only a slightly damp sponge when cleaning it, because I know you aren't supposed to add more moisture back into the grout. This was actually my second attempt at grouting this table. I did it last year in the late summer/early fall and once the grout dried, it became cracked and flaky, not a hard solid like grout is supposed to be. I figured that the cracking had happened because I had either added too much water in the grout mixture or saturated it when cleaning off the grout. Or perhaps it was due to the longer drying time because of the colder fall weather.

This time I made sure to avoid those things. The weather is pretty warm right now here. I also made sure to have a very thick consistency when I mixed the grout. No cracking has appeared yet and everything looks pretty solid. However, when I went out this evening and took a barely moist sponge to the tile, there is still a lot of grout residue on the tile. The tile doesn't look super dirty, but the sponge came up gray from the grout. I'm worried that if I let the tile and grout dry much longer, the grout will dry on the tiles permanently. Is this normal? Is there a way to remove grout residue/haze after the grout has dried? What should I do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011 05:12:13 AM »

Erika
Cleaning after grouting is multi step process with final cleanings being done with fine tools (toothpicks, Q-tips, etc.). Also mostly when dried completely. So no worries. Smiley

Here are two tutorials on grouting mosaics:
Dry Grouting

This method is my personal favorite way to grout most projects. Though you are past the point of being able to use this method, it still contains answers and info that will help you.

Basic Mosaic Tutorial

This one is step by step with pics, and will address the grout consistency, too.

After you check these both out, let me know if you have anymore questions. Keep me posted on your progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring Trend Report: Styling Denim Jackets
Spring Trend Report: Camo Whammo
Palmer//Harding Spring 2014 Menswear
Umit Benan Spring 2014 Menswear
How New York Fashion Week Showgoers Are Wearing Fall’s Hottest Looks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...