A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 10 Ways to Economize your Sewing  (Read 8408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewsweetness
« on: June 12, 2011 09:14:44 AM »

I originally posted this here:http://www.sewsweetness.com/2011/05/10-ways-to-economize-your-sewing.html

1. Set a monthy budget and stick to it.
This year, I've been restricted to $25 for my monthly sewing budget. This not only includes fabric, but sewing patterns, notions, and interfacing. I'm going to be honest, it isn't easy, especially if you have a small stash. But I think setting some sort of limit for yourself is important. It not only keeps you in check, but it will prevent you from buying fabric on impulse (fabric that you might change your mind about or not even use!). I keep a piece of paper over my sewing machine, with the budget limit at the top. Every time I buy something, I mark down how much I spent and what I bought. If I sell something (fabric, a custom item, etc.), I add that to the list as well as a "+" instead of a "-".

2. Cut corners when working with a sewing pattern.
All patterns list the fabric and notion requirements on the back. In a lot of cases, I have found that the fabric requirement are usually an over-estimate. Designers will usually illustrate a cutting layout, which means they show you which pattern pieces to place where, and if you need to place them on the fold. However, it is really easy to economize your fabric when working with a sewing pattern. Once your pattern pieces are cut out, lay them out on your fabric but do not cut them out (if you do not already have the fabric you plan to use for the project, use a similar-sized piece of fabric to estimate how much you will need to purchase). If a piece needs to be used more than once, either mentally visualize it before you move it to another space on the fabric, or mark it with chalk or an invisible marking pen. Place the pieces as close together as possible (unless you need to fussy cut). Only cut when you are satisfied that you have saved yourself the maximum amount of fabric.

You can also use solids or scraps for less visible or important pieces. As an example, made the Amy Butler Weekender Bag. The pattern called for 1-5/8 yard of fabric for the exterior. I only had 1 yard of the fabric that I wanted to use, and even though I did fussy cut it, I managed to fit all the important pieces on the fabric. There were 2 pattern pieces that I was not able to fit, but these pieces I cut from solid green coordinating fabric scraps that I had. This works for this particular project because these parts of the bag are the reverse sides of 4 exterior pockets on the bag, which are really not visible. I am not sharing this information so that you'll purposely not have enough fabric for a project; but with advance planning, it is possible to work with much less fabric than a pattern calls for.

3. Be flexible with your notions.
Coordinating thread that will match your fabric is needed for most projects, mostly for topstitching. But it is usually cheaper to work with white thread (I bought some Coats and Clark white thread recently on sale for $1 per spool). So I use white thread for all the non-visible parts of my sewing projects, and save the colors for when thread will be showing. You can also save on zippers by trimming a larger zipper to fit your project needs. I have a whole bag of older zippers in many sizes and colors, and I will often trim them if possible,  just so I don't have to buy a brand new zipper.

4. Swap for supplies.
There are several places to swap your unused fabrics or other supplies, such as on Flickr. Keep in mind that you will need to pay for shipping, to send your item to your swap partner, but it's a great way to get something new (to you, at least!).

5. Go thrift store shopping.
The best places in the thrift store to check for repurposing fabric is the linen section. Sheets and pillow cases are great sources of fabric. I blogged about one of my trips to the thrift store here. I actually used the light blue king sized sheet ($2) last week as backing for a 70" x 90" quilt. Even if I had bought the fabric at the store on sale, it would have cost me at least $30. With all the supplies you need for a quilt, you could easily spend $100. Saving on the backing is a great way to trim your costs. The pillow cases also make great sources for making layer cakes or charm squares. A vintage dress, apron, or pajamas would also make a great source of fabric that you can use for a bag!

6. Work with scraps.
Scraps will not only make a great quilt, but I have also used scraps to make bags and dresses. It's really easy to piece fabric scraps together into a larger unit, and use your pattern piece to cut out what you need.

7. Only buy if it is on sale or with a coupon.
I know it's really hard, especially with quilting fabrics, but it is possible to buy only if something is on sale. I'm sure you have many fabrics that you have your eye on, so watch for sales (True Up has a weekly post of fabric shops that are having sales). Watch for a good percentage off, or a free shipping offer. Also, I don't buy anything at Joann's that isn't on sale. My family members save their Joann ads from their Sunday papers, so I usually have about 3-4 ads a week, and there are at least one or two 40% or 50% coupons per ad. Even if I only need thread or a zipper, I will use a coupon on it. I also use a lot of fusible interfacing, so if it's on sale and I can also use a 25% transaction coupon, I'll get 5-10 yards of interfacing at once.

8. Share a fabric bundle.
If you want to purchase a fat quarter or half yard bundle of an entire fabric line, why not split it with a friend? On occasion, I'll go in on a bundle with my friend, Kim, and it's usually cheaper to buy by the bundle as opposed to buying yardage separately.

9. Conserve batting.
What do you do with all the scraps of batting you have amassed from quilting? Connecting smaller pieces with a zig-zag stitch is a great way to get larger pieces, especially for quilted projects like a table runner or bag.

10. Use a free tutorial or a library book.
With all the free tutorials out there on the web, it's entirely possible to sew projects from only free tutorials. Amy Butler even has many sewing patterns available for free on her website, or you can find her Blossom Bag pattern from the Style Stitches book here. Just about every sewing book that I have on my Amazon wishlist, I was able to request from the library. The books that come with pattern pieces even have the pieces in the back of the book. With many sewing patterns selling for $5-$15, it's a great way to save money.

:-)
Sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011 03:46:28 PM »

this is a very good guideline!
in the beginning it might be difficult to attach to it, but it helps to economise even though stash will be grow slower.. but it'll grow beautifully! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011 09:37:09 PM »

Thank you for posting such a wonderful guide!

It has wonderful tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011 07:36:22 AM »

Thanks for posting these tips...

I have been doing most of these for years so it is good to see them still true today!

I love the idea of sharing fabrics with a friend...splitting fat quarters is my favorite since I usually only want a few pieces (especially themed fabrics--who want a whole yard of peas anyway...Cheesy)

Lovely blog as well...again, thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rootdarc
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011 09:17:03 AM »

Thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkrockpigtails
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011 12:16:14 PM »

Great tips, thanks for posting! I love your blog too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewingPete123
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011 04:26:45 PM »

Thanks for the tips! Really appreciate it. Do you know a good place to purchase good quality 100% linen? I've purchased from Joann's but it wasn't what I was looking for. I've been hearing about this place called fabrics-store.com... Have you heard anything about them? I'm new so I'm not sure where to look yet... I guess maybe I'll start my own thread. Either way, I totally agree with you! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tessie
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011 07:50:55 PM »

I would love to add some of my own tips.

I take all the hand-me-down clothing I can get. What ever isn't used for scrap fabric cna still be used for others. I will take the buttons off of clothing, zippers...elastic too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NattyBee
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011 10:43:52 AM »

Thanks for sharing this!

If I could add a tip, I always trace commercial patterns and work from that so that I can use all sizes without having to re-buy the pattern.  It also leaves the pattern in "just-like-new" condition so that I can swap it with a friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tessie
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011 08:19:48 PM »

What do you trace your patterns to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Jeremy Lin from the New York Knicks
How to Draw Johnny Bravo
Saving and Recovering Your Photos in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Ken the Eagle from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
How to Draw Master Croc from Kung Fu Panda 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...