A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Solid Snake from Metal Gear Poppet  (Read 2254 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2011 06:46:45 AM »

When I received my partners questionnaire in the Poppet Mini Swap and saw that she had requested a poppet of Solid Snake from the Metal Gear video game for her BF my first response was, "Who the heck is Solid Snake?" So I went to find out who he is (me= totally unknowledgeable about anything video game related) and when I saw that (picture below) was Solid Snake, there may have been some minor major freakage on-age going on (ie. "How in the world am I going to make him?" and "What in the world have I gotten myself into?").

(image borrowed from: http://images.wikia.com/metalgear/images/1/1a/SolidSnake.png)

After a couple of days of looking at the picture of Snake some ideas started to form in my head. I originally thought that I would make his body as is and make him a jumpsuit out of grey-ush fabric, but then I remembered that I kinda still suck at making poppet clothing and if I were to make him clothing I know that it wouldn't have been as skin tight as it was called for/ you wouldn't be able to see his abs if I covered them up with clothing (and then what would the point on his having abs be- if you got 'em, flaunt 'em, I figure), therefore I decided to make his body out of the colour of his suit. From there I started to add all of the details out of felt- I kinda feel like I cheated on this- I hot glued them on. I did try to sew them but as I had stuffed him with quilting batting (it was the only thing I had on hand), his body parts, especially his legs were so rock solid that it was near impossible for me to shove a needle through them.  

Here he is in all of his glory (I added pipecleaners in his fingers to make them poseable):

And in detail the front and back of him:

And then I set out to do something about his five o'clock shadow. I will admit that I was totally a nervous wreck in doing this, I was so scared that I would add too much paint, or in dumb places and I would have to restart his head (which I didn't really want to do seeing as I had already sewed each piece of hair on individually).

All in all I am super happy with him (and glad that my partner seems to be too), it was really hard to let him go (even though, as mentioned, I had no idea who this character was Wink ).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011 06:49:07 AM by averyg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avrienne
LeeLoo Multicraft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011 07:57:25 AM »

This is amazing.   I never played MG myself, but all my friends in college did, so I saw it plenty.  You really got it right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thrift.make.wear: my frugal fashion and craft blog
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011 07:59:01 AM »

This is amazing, all the details!  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
RuneAriala
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011 10:04:37 AM »

I love how the Solid Snake poppet's eyes are so large and sparkly. It's like Solid Snake is hopped up on love and unicorns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squire_inaria
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011 10:08:42 AM »

He looks amazing! Making his body the costume was probably the best way you could have done it. Love the hair Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, you swap, we all swap! I love personal swaps (and I make poppets!) Smiley

Wist-y goodness

Check out my new shop; Ivy Moon Emporium[url]!
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011 10:40:21 AM »

You did an awesome job! I love how detailed he is, and he looks just like the character.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011 11:01:54 AM »

Avery, I just giggle, it's so incredible! And to think you stuck yourself with it, being the one who set partners. It was Fate, and Fate was Awesome! He totally rocks, and I understand the feeling, because I don't know who the character is either but the work and the love you put in... I totally understand! Again, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Singing the Back to School Blues

Poppet vs Ami - Received, Sent
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011 11:39:51 AM »

Avery, I just giggle, it's so incredible! And to think you stuck yourself with it, being the one who set partners.

I know! I kept thinking to myself, "Hmmmmm.... Maybe I should just partner her off with someone else". But I am glad that I didn't. He was a challenge, but a fun one at that. Wink

PS. Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011 12:51:53 PM »

Avery is awesome and we <3 our Snake poppet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
NyteFyre

I am a GrandMa to a Poppet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011 02:42:52 PM »

averyg - I have no idea who he is either, and I am probably older then most of you. You did a remarkable job tho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***  Friendship Is The Pot Of Gold At The End Of Your Rainbow  ***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Give Shrimp Pad Thai a Soba Noodle Twist the Haylie Duff Way
How to Make Sunny Anderson’s Quick Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Here Is a Fantastic Green Bean Tempura Recipe
Quick and Easy Asian Rib Rub Recipe
Spring Naan Bread Pizzas Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...