A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,882
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New SPUN is up  (Read 1814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sbub

I'm not a turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005 02:37:37 PM »

i just checked out the new issue of spun and was excited to see the Convertable Shrug/ Shawl /Poncho, I have been wanting to make something that was versatile and this seams to be it and easy too. I will have to find some yarn in my very small craft budget.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

killerdaisy
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005 03:18:09 PM »

i didnt say anything about quality or appropriateness, my comment was that i've seen lots of those patterns around in alot of place lately. good for you, starlee, for getting published. i didnt intend to hurt your feelings but i dont think my comment was out of line.

also, yahaira, i dont think my comments were silly & i don't think ANYbody's comments should be discounted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yahaira
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005 03:29:38 PM »

you're right, I didn't mean to discount your comment. maybe you are taking me saying "silly" a little too strongly.  Anybody's comments are silly if you think about it, in that they shouldn't affect you.  staralee was thrilled until she saw this discussion.  she should still be thrilled no matter what anyone says on here.  so you or what you said arent silly, but in the grand scheme of things it's really inconsequential ie silly. 

maybe what hurt her feelings is how, typed out, it seemed you were trying to imply she wasn't original...you said identical twice.  it's not the way you meant it, but that's the way it was read. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005 08:13:22 PM by yahaira » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005 06:36:53 PM »

Not to worry all!  Wink
my self-esteem (and pride in creating a unique design!) is still intact and I'm just overwhelmed that someone will be knitting my pattern for another journaler!
Also, after some thought, I realize that it's perfectly reasonable to point out that other patterns similar to Spun's exist...what isn't fair is any implication that the patterns weren't an original to the designer and editors...but I guess we've got that cleared up--no implications, no harm, no foul!
Party on, garth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005 08:47:10 PM »

My mom asked me to make her a poncho for a wedding she will attend this summer.  I wanted to make her a wrap instead, since she won't want to pull a poncho on and off over her head at the wedding!  I decided I would make a wrap and put buttons on it so she could wear it as a poncho if she wanted to.  I was mocked, scorned, well, maybe not that strong, but people couldn't figure out what I meant.

Then, I clicked on the new spunmag this morning! 

Yay!  I'm not crazy!  It can be done!

p.s. staralee  congrats on the pattern being published.  simple or not.  similar to something else or not.  it's beautiful, practical and an accomplishment. 

yay you.

pps.  i like that craftsters work out their differences calmly when there are misunderstandings!  yay craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
acesulfamek
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005 08:15:26 AM »

I'm really glad that people are reading Spun and love it as much as I do!  Congratulations to everybody involved.

The pattern I am responsible for is probably one of the simplest, the little head band thing.  Basic as it is, though, I am totally excited that it's up on the internet and everything.  Woo.  I hope there are knitters/designers out there who are going to send in more and more sweaters and things like that as time goes on.

Regarding the sizing, by the way, it is not that the designer intentionally made the pattern small - rather, Spun asks pattern-writers to go by The Gap's sizing charts for uniformity.  Maybe not thier best idea (like, if I, for example wrote a pattern to that sizing, it might come out a little too small for me to wear) though I understand the desire to have a standard of some kind.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jerriemc
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005 06:53:23 AM »

I for one LOVE that Spun has simple quick to do patterns.  So many of the patterns out there are too labor or material intensive for someone with limited time to knit.  I think Spun fills a great void and I am going to start on the journal covers immediately because I think they will make great Christmas gifts.
Jerrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005 07:01:05 AM »

SPUN use the Gap as their sizing reference - but isn't that place notorious for being absolutely useless at following their own sizing charts.. hmm... seems like an odd standard to pick although at least they are using one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005 07:10:51 AM »

Love the hot pants!  Although I may not want to make everything in the issue (I haven't "gotten into" the poncho/shawl fad, although I may try one sometime), I think there are a few things there that I'd want to make.

The journal may be a good gift for my stepdaughter, an aspiring writer.  Smiley

andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005 08:21:59 AM »

*wishes desparately, once again, that she could wear the hot pants, but dang, only S & M?   Cry

I didn't even notice that when I first looked at the pattern.  How big a bummer is that!!  My L butt would never fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mary Higgins Clark: The Queen of Suspense
What Did Thatcher and Churchill Have in Common?
Five Ways to Improve Your Respiratory System
Clay Walker’s Jesus Was a Country Boy
Black Roses by Jane Thynne Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...