A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need pattern help  (Read 494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nummy_cupcake
« on: June 13, 2005 03:48:26 AM »

Hi there all,

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out some instructions. I'm pretty new at this and mind you, I've never done circular knitting, but though I might give it a try, so please forgive me if it seems like a dumb question. I was thinking of knitting the Danish Nattrjer top in the Winter 2005 issue of Interweave Knits.

This is what the directions say:
With 32" cir needle, CO 120 sts. Do not join. Purl 1 row. Work checkerboard patt as foll:

Row 1: (RS) *P2, k2; rep from *, end P0.
Row 2: K0, *p2, k2; rep from *.
Row 3: *K2, p2; rep from *, end K0.
Row 4: P0, *k2, p2; rep from *.

Repeat these 4 rows 2 more times, then work Rows 1 and 2 once more - 14 rows of checkerboard completed. 15 rows total from CO.
Questions
1. what does "P0" or "K0" stand for? Does it mean that I should not purl or knit? Why put it there to confuse and befuddle newbies like me?

2. I've been out of school for a while, but I think that I know (hopefully I still do!) how to add. I don't understand how it would be 15 row total from CO (cast on?). I counted the purl row as 1, rows 1-4 repeated 2 times (8 rows) would increase the row count to 9, and working Rows 1 and 2 once more (2 rows) would increase the row count to 11. Am I missing something here? Where did they get the extra 4 rows?! Huh

3. Am I supposed to join the knitting into a round at any time during this pattern? It explicitly states not to join before doing the purl row. It never actually says to join it.

4. How did you guys learn to read all this stuff? It's like learning a foreign language! Is there a site anywhere or a book that I can pick up on how to read knitting instructions. Most places have the technical "how to"s of knitting and I know that the back of the magazines tell you how to do some of the stitches, but no one seems to address the problem of understanding knitting shorthand. And I thought that I could knit anything after learning how to knit and purl... alas!  Sad

HELP!

patricia
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005 04:34:08 AM by girlypirate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005 05:36:19 AM »

well i can hlelp with some of it:

the maths - you follow the 4 rows of the pattern, then repeat them twice MORE, so that means 3 times in total

it doesn't say to join it anywhere so I would assume you're just using circulars because it would be too wide to fit on a straight needle - but you should be able to tell from the shape of the finished object

try searching google for knit abbreviations
(which incidentally didn't tell me what K0 and P0 meant - I think it's to make a nice edge so possibly you could just ignore it or try an edge stitch like slipping those stitches - but maybe someone else knows what the pattern means) try looking for a list of abbreviations used in the magazine or on the pattern.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
mathgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005 05:40:27 AM »

I think they put k0 or p0 in when the pattern is written for multiple sizes with different numbers of stitches.  A different size might end k2 or p2.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nummy_cupcake
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005 07:03:45 AM »

well i can hlelp with some of it:

the maths - you follow the 4 rows of the pattern, then repeat them twice MORE, so that means 3 times in total

ysolda,

Thanks for making that clear! I guess I don't need to go back to school to relearn math! Just to read! Thank you so much!!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nummy_cupcake
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005 07:10:17 AM »

I think they put k0 or p0 in when the pattern is written for multiple sizes with different numbers of stitches.  A different size might end k2 or p2.

mathgirl,

That makes a lot of sense to me now! The instructions are for various sizes (I only typed it in for one size for brevity) and some of the sizes do correspond with an actual knit stitch. Thanks for your help!   Cheesy

Oh, and ysolda,

You do have a good point about the reason for the circular needles... It's a loose tunic type top... Thanks again!   Wink

You gals ROCK!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn a Collection of Ideas Into a Book
How an Editor Improves the Book Writing Process
How to Self Publish a Book
Hot On HuffPost Books
Amy McNamara Shares Lovely, Dark and Deep
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...