My bathroom has sorely needed a makeover for a long time. It took me forever to
start, because I seriously dislike painting walls white....
When I finally got started 3 months ago, there was one obstacle after the other. Plaster falling from the walls, broken plumbing, the impossibility to find any decent-priced lamps, the necessity to take breaks and do other fun things... well... it certainly took its time, but as of yesterday I am finally done! Yay!
So here it is- my re-done bathroom:
To give you an idea of what it looked like before, here's a progress-shot:
The process ( in case you're interested):
Paint was applied freely and according to free-hand pencil-outlines. The waterpipes were covered with tape.
As to the details:
Firstly mirrors. I bought a bunch of cheap Ikea mirrors, painted them and stuck some fake flowers and such on them. My dad helped with the one above the sink: I simply took 3 small mirrors, build a frame around them ( from picture frames) and combined them with hinges, so now I can move both sides and it all fits, even if there's not a lot of room.
Secondly, the lamp-issue. I really, really like those funky new energy-saving lightbulbs and since there was no way to acquire any purple lampshades inside the budget, I decided to make some myself. As usual, I stuck to papermache, wire, plastic tubing and paint- plus supercheap lampwiring. After a couple of days I had the flower shaped things I wanted. Because these special lightbulbs don't get hot, there's no fire-hazard. As for the lamp above the mirror- I am especially proud of that. Even with my nonexistent skills with anything electric, I managed to fit everything so it hides the wiring behind it and combined it in such a way that you can switch the lamps on independently. On the sides warm light to make you look pretty and in the middle cold light (for those days when you're brave enough to see everything).
On to the best part - decoration:
The curtain is made from all kinds of leftover materials and is reversible, the flowerpot on the windowsill got decorated, so it would match the colors of the bathroom. The picture on the wall was inspired by "bitchy embroidery".
Of course, I had to make a matching toiletpaper animal and toiletbrush. I originally
crocheted the toiletseat cover for my first version of the purple bathroom, but it fits in nicely.
The plushie got finished yesterday and added the final touch. I really didn't know what else to do about that awful water heater....
And last, but not least, according to my latest addiction to playing with beads, of course there's a matching window-charm....
Hoping you didn't give up after the second picture, I'd really like your input on this! Any comments or critique would make me very happy.
Thank you for looking.