A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Extreme Burton-ish bathroom makeover (lots'o'pics)  (Read 28746 times)
Tags for this thread: bathroom , tim_burton , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BirdBones
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2011 03:13:06 PM »

My bathroom has sorely needed a makeover for a long time. It took me forever to
start, because I seriously dislike painting walls white.... Roll Eyes
When I finally got started 3 months ago, there was one obstacle after the other. Plaster falling from the walls, broken plumbing, the impossibility to find any decent-priced lamps, the necessity to take breaks and do other fun things... well... it certainly took its time, but as of yesterday I am finally done! Yay!
So here it is- my re-done bathroom:

To give you an idea of what it looked like before, here's a progress-shot: Angry

After: Grin

The process ( in case you're interested):

Paint was applied freely and according to free-hand pencil-outlines. The waterpipes were covered with tape.
As to the details:
Firstly mirrors. I bought a bunch of cheap Ikea mirrors, painted them and stuck some fake flowers and such on them. My dad helped with the one above the sink: I simply took 3 small mirrors, build a frame around them ( from picture frames) and combined them with hinges, so now I can move both sides and it all fits, even if there's not a lot of room.
Secondly, the lamp-issue. I really, really like those funky new energy-saving lightbulbs and since there was no way to acquire any purple lampshades inside the budget, I decided to make some myself. As usual, I stuck to papermache, wire, plastic tubing and paint-  plus supercheap lampwiring.  After a couple of days I had the flower shaped things I wanted. Because these special lightbulbs don't get hot, there's no fire-hazard. As for the lamp above the mirror- I am especially proud of that. Even with my nonexistent skills with anything electric, I managed to fit everything so it hides the wiring behind it and combined it in such a way that you can switch the lamps on independently. On the sides warm light to make you look pretty and in the middle cold light (for those days when you're brave enough to see everything). Grin

On to the best part - decoration:
The curtain is made from all kinds of leftover materials and is reversible, the flowerpot on the windowsill got decorated, so it would match the colors of the bathroom. The picture on the wall was inspired by "bitchy embroidery".

Of course, I had to make a matching toiletpaper animal and toiletbrush. I originally
crocheted the toiletseat cover for my first version of the purple bathroom, but it fits in nicely.

The plushie got finished yesterday and added the final touch. I really didn't know what else to do about that awful water heater....

And last, but not least, according to my latest addiction to playing with beads, of course there's a matching window-charm....

Hoping you didn't give up after the second picture, I'd really like your input on this! Any comments or critique would make me very happy.
Thank you for looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011 03:17:13 PM »

that is a gorgeous bathroom i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mexi
One world...make it great! Deck-OR-ATE!

I Heart the world.(Smelling plastic beads melting)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011 03:29:47 PM »

AWESOME!!!!  I love fun rooms!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011 03:35:34 PM »

Thank you aisy and mexi ! I'm so glad you like it Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickled_sidhe
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011 03:36:51 PM »

i am in love with this!!!!! full out teenaged drooling LOVE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaknitz
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011 03:50:16 PM »

This is a fantastic bathroom, I really love the Tim Burton-esque theme. I just have one question: can you not take showers on that bathtub? I only ask cause I didn't see any shower curtains.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachart
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011 03:53:06 PM »

Holy crap that's awesome! Way to go you! If that was in my house, I'd totally be hanging out in the bathroom all the time. I might even do my entertaining in there  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011 05:51:07 PM »

tickled_sidhe - Thank you. There's really nothing better than teenage drooling, especially when combined with love  Grin
anaknitz - Glad you like it and you are correct, there are no shower curtains. Mostly, because I still haven't figured out how to attach some without the room turning into a design-nightmare. Also, I'm a bath-person  Grin I'm just silly that way....
teachart - Thanks! I'd love to give entertaining in the bathroom a try, but people would have to get very cuddly very fast  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decidedly average
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011 05:59:22 PM »

This is wicked cool and I love what you did with the pipes! I think that really made the design even more Burton-ish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011 07:27:41 PM »

This is the best bathroom I have ever seen!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Gourmet Fruit and Nut Chocolate Bars
Decorative Christmas Cookie Cottages
4 Unique Holiday Cookie Recipes
Here Are Some of the Best Donuts in America
Incredibly Clever Holiday Treat Hacks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...