A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: our first house . . . needs a serious face lift! seeking advise?  (Read 1279 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 10, 2011 11:37:02 AM »

hubby and i are finally home owners!  i am thrilled about our new home and i've been decorating the interior like crazy (something hard to do fully in a rental), but i am overwhelmed by the exterior remodel.

this is my house:

it's a lovely little house, but it's just not me.  i am colorful and lively, and perhaps a bit tacky at times.  how can i add some flavor to the house without becoming "the tacky house", as i live on a main drag in the middle of town?

my current thoughts are to replace the storm door with a full glass storm door, then replace the front door to something paneled and paint it a light aqua or seafoamy color. 

a new address plaque in in the plans, too.  i had originally planned on ridding myself of the granny handles, but we have already experienced an ice storm in this house and those granny bars were a life saver!  i strongly recommend granny bars wherever you can put them!

and i don't know what to do with the garage door, but it has to change.

i'd love to hear any idea's y'all have!

jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
FrankieBeans
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011 12:16:35 PM »

I LOVE ranch style homes.  Check out http://www.atomic-ranch.com/   They have great ideas for little changes outside that make a big difference.  House numbers, topiary, colors ect. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011 12:18:39 PM by FrankieBeans » THIS ROCKS   Logged

schizo319
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011 04:45:51 PM »

I'd paint the white part above the brick a color, something closer to the brick in tone, maybe a charcoal gray? Add a few window boxes and paint that garage door too (I'd go with the same gray color on it). I like the idea of a brightly colored door and a full view storm window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nadx
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011 06:50:18 AM »

created this quickly but some ideas:

the tree is a river birch in "island"....mulch island features a spill over flower pot design...
i took off the black stripe on the  garage...
full glass storm door...
landscaping mulch along the walk with bushes...
ornamental tree on left side of garage...
lastly---curbing along the street (may be able to see if the city will help u go in on half the cost in some cities

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011 06:58:10 AM by nadx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011 07:04:51 AM »

created this quickly but some ideas:

the tree is a river birch in "island" island features a spill over flower pot design
i took off the black stripe on the  garage
full glass storm door
landscaping mulch along the walk with bushes
ornamental tree on left side of garage
lastly---curbing along the street (may be able to see if the city will help u go in on half the cost in some cities

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/50777_09Nov11_quik.jpg

wow!  that helps a lot!

i really like the idea of a small tree in that spot.  the window that it would block is the one above the kitchen sink that we open on nice days - it would be nice to look aout and see birds instead of a street full of cars.

we have discussed the curb, and we are considering a small recessed wall cutting slightly into our property, which would allow us to claim that as private parking.  we live across the street from a restaurant giving us reason to need this extra advantage.

on the left side of the house (where you placed the ornamental tree) in the rear is the door into the private-fenced back yard.  it's also the path we take when walking our daughter to school every day.  i am planning on a paved or stoned path of some kind.  we also store the trash and recycle bins on that side of the house, so lots to be considered.

what about removing all the bushes along the front of the house and creating something of a porch that stretched from the front door to the breezeway door?  hmmm.  i wish i had craptons of money so i could just will it to be done.

thanks for the help.

jo
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014 04:10:47 AM by rackycoo - Reason: please don't quote photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011 08:56:45 AM »

That is so funny jo_mama!  My Hub and I are just moving into our first house too...and it's a RANCH Grin

We are just painting and cleaning the insides now.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
nadx
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011 01:27:46 PM »

oh yes, love the idea of adding a front porch or deck---great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nadx
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011 08:49:52 AM »

also, u wont lose too much visibility with a small tree blocking a window...and when the tree matures just cut it so the canopy is taller and not blocking your view if you so desire
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shainakhan
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012 11:16:59 PM »

What a cute house! Congratulation!!  I just wanted to comment that we had painted our ranch style home recently with a light blue/gray body and a darker trim. The body is SW Grassland and the trim is SW Connected Gray. I often think I should have used the darker color for the body. Maybe you can photoshop some colors before actually painting to be sure of your choices.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Bikini Bottoms to Flaunt Your Butt
Make Your Own Fringe Shirt For the Beach!
DIY Beach Fashion: Stenciled Shorts & a Beach Coverup
Get 3 Stylish Patriotic Fourth of July Outfit Ideas
Invest Banker Turned Designer Creates Stay-On Bikinis
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...