A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shipping costs are RIDICULOUS! Want to share?  (Read 1357 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkcatflower
« on: June 10, 2011 01:45:42 AM »

Hi,
Living in NZ definitely has its disadvantages.  I have found shipping costs for fabric websites etc. are total dealbreakers for me.  For example, I wanted to buy an out of print Simplicity pattern, so had to get it through their website.  The shipping from memory was about US$25... for one measly pattern.  I'm not paying that lol, it's more than the pattern itself!  But I do really want it.....

Also was looking at some nice fabric on Hartsfabric.com---same deal.  Obviously you know by now I'm on a budget.  I'm not going to effectively more than double the price of what I'm buying just because of shipping!

Sooo yeah.  Anyone in the same boat want to share shipping costs or something?  Or at least commiserate.. haha.
By the way, I'm in Wellington. 

Well hope someone can help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011 01:15:48 PM »

I can commiserate, the shipping is so often WAY more than reasonable.

I participate in the Ongoing Wish Swap regularly. I had an art item on my wishlist (a scribe for drypoint etching) - they retail for about $65 here, but only about $17 in the US. It is the size and weight of a pencil (and not super fragile or anything). One of my lovely swap buddies offered to get one for me, and thought that shipping it direct would make sense ... until she discovered that they were going to charge her US$58 for priority, or US$28 for the slow option!!! Needless to say, she got it sent to her, and mailed it to me herself, for which I am VERY grateful!

Are you interested in Craftster swaps at all? They're not everyone's cup of tea of course, but I've found it fun and swap friends will quite often send me supplies that are hard to get / super expensive here. Of it course it goes both ways! I've sent the odd parcel with possum yarn in it Cheesy

If you make a few swap friends, you might find someone who you could have your pattern delivered to, and who would be happy to pop it in a swap package for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkcatflower
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011 04:25:01 PM »

Hmm, this Wish swap sounds pretty interesting.  I've never been in a swap before though.  Can you explain more about it?  They sound a bit intimidating!  I'll have a poke around the site and see if I can enlighten myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011 05:30:03 PM »

I was a bit nervous about trying the swaps too, but they're heaps of fun!

I really like the Ongoing Wish Swap, because it's a reasonable size (the minimum is 1 medium, though most of us do a bit more than that), fast turnaround, you get to choose exactly what you will make, and you can request all sorts of crafty things. And you can schedule your claims for a time that suits you. And it's a fun group of great craftsters!

The current round is here - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=381646.0 I know it looks really complicated with all the rules, but it's actually quite straightforward once you start. It's a super-friendly group, and someone will help you out if you're not sure about something. Have a look through the galleries too, to get an idea of the size of packages and the sorts of things that different people make.

If that looks too complicated, there'll probably be a Newbie Swap at some stage, just for people doing their first swap, or there are great One Tiny Thing (OTT) swaps, which are good for keeping postage costs down. Invite Your Partner is another awesome swap (my fave!) if you want to go all out crafting, and someone might organise another round of NZ only at some stage (the last one was fun!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lennoir
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011 12:50:33 AM »

Hi ya

I too am sometimes scuttled by extreme postage. But there are a few sites that are cheap. Also if you search for sites that will do a standard flat envelop deal then it is only 13us for 10 yards of fabric. I can tell you actual sites if you fancy. some uk sites are cheap too for supplies.

Lenore
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkcatflower
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011 09:02:25 PM »

Hi Lennoir,
I would be interested in hearing your recommended sites that have cheap shipping.  That would be great thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reactor67
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011 04:25:58 AM »

$25 for one pattern is crazy, what I do is wait until I need a bunch of stuff and get it all sent in one go - that way you get what you need without paying loads of seperate postage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeybone
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011 08:03:20 PM »

if you want to go all out crafting, and someone might organise another round of NZ only at some stage (the last one was fun!)

I personally would love to do a NZ only swap! I don't think I have enough swapping experience to organise it, but it would be something so fun to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kathy Ireland on Real Solutions for Busy Moms Devotional
Erin Downing Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Reveal the Talents They Wish They Had
The Dressmaker Book Trailer
Mosh Potatoes Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...