A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Handkerchief STD's (pic heavy)  (Read 3403 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kristij1201
« on: June 09, 2011 10:03:18 PM »

So, I'm a super lucky girl and one of my bridesmaids happens to be a fantastic artist and her specialty is printmaking.  I knew I wanted to do vintage handkerchief STD's for my wedding, but I didn't want to go the iron on route.  So, she designed a logo for me based on my "oak tree theme" and carved it into a linoleum wood block.  I bought a bunch of hankies off of Ebay and Etsy.  Here is the block

We used black speedball ink and rolled it onto the block here is our set-up

Inking up the block

after it's inked we placed the hanky on to the block and put it into the press (notice the glass of wine very important to the process)

then we used a spoon to make sure that all the little details got pressed onto the hanky

then we very gently pulled the hanky off the block and viola our STD

Here is a close-up of what the final printed image looked like

The STD's took over the entire room

They actually only took a few hours to dry, so we were able to rotate them out on the clothes line.  I printed out the following info on some shiny blue cardstock i got from papersource.com

Here is my man doing his part helping to cut the info cards out

I wrapped the handkerchief around the info card so that the tree faces the front and when you unwrap the handkerchief you see the info card.  Unfortunately I don't seem to have taken a picture of this step. 

I got the envelopes from envelopes.com and used a martha stewart stamp to put our return address on them.  I used a metallic silver paint pen to write the addresses on the front. 

Overall this was a fun and pretty easy project.  It was slightly time consuming, but in the end totally worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MerryGlas
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011 11:27:50 PM »

These look so beautiful, the tree stamp is so unique  Smiley Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacey0828
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011 05:42:46 AM »

Oh wow, that is so cool. I totally love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011 08:13:33 AM »

That stamp is amazing! I love the handkerchiefs too, but I kept thinking "What the &*%! is an STD?" because the  only thing I know of is not something you make invites for! LOL Then I saw "Save the date" further down in your post... weddings are so far outside of my life that it never occurred to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Kristij1201
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011 09:03:54 PM »

That stamp is amazing! I love the handkerchiefs too, but I kept thinking "What the &*%! is an STD?" because the  only thing I know of is not something you make invites for! LOL Then I saw "Save the date" further down in your post... weddings are so far outside of my life that it never occurred to me!

when i first got engaged and started with frequenting the wedding blogs i too was like what the heck "STD's"?!  i forget that not everyone is totally emerged in the wedding planning world!  we've definitely had some good jokes among my friends about the acronym. 

thanks so much to everyone.  we had a lot of fun making these.  and really most of the credit goes to my fantastic friend the bridesmaid/artist!  she's so awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bexieboo
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011 02:34:08 AM »

What a fantastic unique idea! The handkerchiefs look beautiful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristij1201
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011 09:54:13 AM »

thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Richard Doetsch on Thieves of Legend
Willie Robertson on The Duck Commander Family
The Story Behind American Phoenix by Sarah S. Kilborne
How to Turn a Collection of Ideas Into a Book
How an Editor Improves the Book Writing Process
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...