A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need pattern for flower girl dress Edit: not enough fabric how to modify pattern  (Read 1504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sylwa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 09, 2011 01:21:33 PM »

My little girl is going to be  flower girl at my friends wedding (this september)
and my friend wanted me to make a dress for her that will match her gown.
She is using this pattern for her dress: http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5321-products-4901.php?page_id=110

I would love to find a pattern that would closely match the dress, if not I will try to wing it. I hope my skills are pro enough to make this. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011 10:37:35 AM by Sylwa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ljelondon
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011 03:36:40 AM »

I'd say the essential details are the v-waist and the pickups on the skirt; I'd expect that a child's dress would need straps at least.

If it were me I'd probably start with Simplicity 4764 or Simplicity 2463, go for the simplest bodice option and add pickups to the skirt (would definitely make a muslin first).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sylwa

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011 07:32:09 AM »

oh thank you, the 2463 pattern is perfect, I already ordered it! And I will have to make a trial version first as the bride ordered this fabric http://www.moodfabrics.com/index.php?file=productdetail&iprod_id=3690&icat_id=2,30,1,3,12,29,23&icatidntr=&icatidwtr=&icatidwbt=&icatidwnewtr=&icatidwac=&shortdes=&passtype=&vcolor=&vpattern=&vapplication=&pricerange=&onsale=&newarrival=&custfav=&closeout=&wholesale=&pagelimit=24&page=1&keyword=pv9500-13&topmatmsvalms=&vbrand=

for the dress and there is no way I can afford to mess it up. I am quite scared to be honest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ljelondon
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011 02:50:37 AM »

BurdaStyle have a useful tutorial on pickups if you need one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sylwa

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011 10:36:24 AM »

So I got my pattern, got the fabric ... well I dont have ENOUGH fabric
now it's too late to order more fabric so my question would be if I can alter the pattern in some way so I can make it with what I have?
here's a pic

so I was thinking either making the whole skirt knee high or make it less "puffy" by cutting off few inches on the sides of each panel (front, sides)

this is the dress I am making - or wanted to make http://www.simplicity.com/p-4482-childs-special-occasion.aspx  view E
any help is GREATLY appreciated
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankeknitter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011 01:55:33 PM »

I've had to do this a couple times with reconed fabric. You could shorten it a little AND make the skirt a little less poofy on the sides.  I think those skirt patterns are too puffy any way. OR you could get wide ribbon or another fabric as close to the original in the same tone familly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sylwa

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011 07:40:01 AM »

thank you for the reply! I already made a trial version of the dress from a fabric I bought last year on sale with the altered pattern to see what it would look like. It isnt too bad, but I will probably make it less puffy as you suggested.I will also make the bodice a bit longer and not as wide. Will post pictures when done (tomorrow)
The pick-ups on this first dress are only with pins as I dont like that style, without pick-ups it comes down to her ankles.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankeknitter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011 06:59:56 AM »

the blue dress is beutiful. She's so cute!  If you don't like the style of the pickups you could always do fewer of them to make it more dramatic
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Where Is the Best Glass Blowing Museum
The History of Glass Blowing
How to Tie the Handcuff Knot
How to Sew a Dress
What Is Glass Art
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...