A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 4 Bag Making Mistakes to avoid!  (Read 808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChrisWDesigns
ChrisW Designs

ChrisW Designs

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2011 06:15:14 PM »

*Mistake #1 – Failing to READ through the ENTIRE instructions included with your pattern BEFORE you begin! Even if you are an experienced sewer, there are many ways different ways to construct a bag and often a designer has a different way of doing things than you do .....or a reason for doing something in a particular way that is often not obvious until it is TOO LATE if you haven’t followed their instructions! Besides....you might just learn a new technique! If you don’t like it, you can always go back to ‘your’ way of doing things next time!
*Mistake #2 –Not paying attention to the fabric suggestions included with your pattern. Most designers test their patterns in a range of different fabrics and will give you a guide to the most suitable choice for the bags design. Make up your bag following THEIR suggestions first time and then experiment with different fabrics and structural materials after you are familiar with the design! Everyone has different like and dislikes as far as the look and feel of a bag so don’t be afraid to test out different combinations of fabric, wadding and interfacing to achieve the look that YOU like however it is always best to do that AFTER you have made at least one bag following the recommendations included with the pattern!
*Mistake #3 – Make sure your sewing machine is in good order with a nice fresh needle suitable for the bag you intend to make and the fabrics chosen! If you are sewing thick denim or many layers, use a needle to suit or you will end up with skipped stitches, shredded thread and broken needles! (Not to mention frayed nerves and lots of words shouted out that you would ordinarily NOT use? LOLL) Choose a type of needle to suit the job at hand! If in doubt, check your sewing machines manual (Yes I know that sounds obvious BUT how many people actually READ their manuals?? Only if all else fails?? LOLL) Machine needles are often neglected and yet a sharp new needle of the correct type can make a world of difference to your sewing experience!
*Mistake #4 –If you intend to WASH your bag, then you should PRE-WASH your fabrics...exterior AND linings! Everyone loves the crisp new feel (and smell!) of new fabrics however if you intend to wash your bag, trust me, the look of the bag with shrunken fabrics, especially where the lining shrinks at a different rate to your exterior fabric, is NOT a good look! Of course, if you only ever intend to surface wash your bag then by all means, USE the fabric without pre-washing! If you SELL your bags, DO include a label so the buyer knows wether to surface wash only, hand wash OR toss in the washing machine!

I hope these help! I have more Bag making Mistakes to avoid listed on my Blog if you would like to know more!  Smiley
Cheers,
Christine

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011 06:51:20 PM by ChrisWDesigns - Reason: Bold in the wrong place! LOL » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011 06:14:06 PM »

For mistake #4 I usually resolve this by telling folks they should air dry their bags and not throw them in the dryer. I use a washing machine - even though the fabrics I use are best dry cleaned - and the bags come out just fine air dried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Strawberry-Jam Hand Pie Recipe
Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Pound Cake Recipe
Are Double Stuff Oreos Really Double The Cream?
90 Second Java Mocha Shortbread Recipe
Gourmet Smores
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...