A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So where do you buy your fabric?  (Read 665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 08, 2011 03:31:08 PM »

I live 100kms from spotlight! I usually only buy discount fabric from there unless I have a project on. And I'm always to be found with my head in the bargain bin.  Embarrassed

I'm lucky that we do have a fabric shop in town. ITs $22m for the best fabrics, then they have some discounted to $10 and plains are $8. They do only sell quality fabrics though, so you know that you are getting what you pay for. It is great to have somewhere local to get fabric, thread, zips, buttons etc when you need it. She also stocks some other fabrics flease, pretty pollcottons, flannel etc.  The owner has grandkids, so there is always plenty of pretty girls and boy fabrics! And there is another shop in the next village over (20 mins) too, they are more 'country' so there is always different stuff there to here, although I don't visit that one often.

I'm also foumd often in vinnies, it is not often you find quilting fabric, but I have found some real bargains there too. I got a huge roll of purple from there, When I washed it, the fabric went all the way around the outside of my big old hillshoist and along one of the next row in too....probably about 15m and I only paid $15 for the lot. I have also found a snake and insects print on black, an insects on black and a koala print. There was a couple of metres of each and They were only about $3 or so a meter once you worked it out and I have used them so much. I also grab some of the scraps of stranger prints to put into my i-spy quilt and cot pillowcases and flat sheets too as I find the quality of the fabric to be ok, and they are rarely used - most people opt to use the fitted sheet and no baby has a pillow these days. Garage sales too  Embarrassed

My fabric stash is currently overflowing, so I'm in the process of crafting things to sell at a market on Saturday to try to cull the stash and make some money!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skittlebub
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011 03:50:17 PM »

I usually go to spotlight because there's nothing else near us, I generally by what's discounted or on sale.
I check out the local op shops from time to time but haven't really found anything yet other than a shower curtain a friend wanted made into an apron.

I have been meaning to go to Reverse Art Truck/Reverse Garbage (whatever they call themselves now) and Resource Rescue but haven't got around to it yet because it's minimum half hour drive with 2 kids under 3.

Family & friends keep an eye out for me at op-shops & garage sales and tend to give me material when they find it. I have 3 massive bags of material to sort through from my dad's girlfriend but I think a lot of it is upholstery fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
How Lovely
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011 04:47:25 PM »

I usually go Spotlight too, occasionally Hobby Sew if I need a tiny piece of nice fabric. There is a new fabric shop where I'm from in Milton if you ever go on holidays there, its a bit pricey but it is all so amazing! It's called My Patch i think, I got a beautiful piece that I am terrified to cut into haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Puppy
How to Create a Beautiful Koi Fish Drawing
How to Draw a Lizard
How to Illustrate a Palm Tree
How to Create a Cartoon Bunny
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...