A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selling my pictures, how to?  (Read 1092 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 08, 2011 06:57:45 AM »

Hello everyone... I would love to get your advice. This might belong in the Etsy board as well, so mods, feel free to move if I step the boundaries Wink.

I love photography, always have. Ever since my secondary school, I had some kind of camera. Yupz, I'm 24 now, so I grew up with the simple analog photography. My father's ancestors had access to a camera from the beginning, so I have a lot of old pictures as well. Last year, around november, I bought my first digital camera, a Canon D1000, SLR. Body, two lenses, ready to go... My camera is always by my side, and so far, I have managed to make some great pictures. Mmm, I should rephrase that, I made some pictures that I really really love, and that are genuinly appreciated by other people. Yep, muuuuch better.

I am an Irish dancer, and I love to photograph the feet of our dancers. Browsing Etsy and other websites, I came across nothing similar, and the idea grew to start my own 'shop'. *I think that's too much of a name for what I want, but hey* I have figured out how Etsy works and I know what online service I am going to use to print my material (Pixum, for those who are interested). I'm still waiting to purchase Photoshop, so I can 'clean' my images and change certain things.

But I'm entirely lost as to how I'm going to order and stock them. So, I guess I'll offer a certain array of sizes people can chose from, right? Do I have them at home, all the time, or do I wait for someone to order, then upload on Pixum, and then ship them off? I guess that a bit cumbersome and time consuming, bot for me and the customer. But what about having all those pictures in all different sizes in stock? Do I keep them in tubes? Or flat? And heck, Pixum offers canvas service as well, should I include in my shop as well, or just on demand? I'm just a bit lost as to what sizes people prefer and what I should offer. There is so much! *even mugs, shirts, you name it*

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011 10:09:31 AM »

So this is a printing service you're using? Would they ship directly to the buyer? Or ship to you and you ship to them?  How long will it take? If the item isn't coming directly from you, you should probably be clear about that in your listings.  If you can swing it, the best thing to do would be to either get a printer yourself and print on demand or find somewhere local. It would cut down on the time (I assume) and come across as a little more professional if there wasn't a 3rd party sending to the buyer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011 11:18:27 AM »

Mmmm, I do think Pixum has that kind of service, but I would never do that. It's indeed unprofessional and it might confuse buyers, I understand. Bigger pictures (I ordered one last week, 40x60 cm) take up to 5 workdays. Which isn't bad, but too long to get an order from, say, Etsy, order on Pixum, receive it myself, and re-send it to the customer.

I have a printer myself, but not for bigger sizes. And I'd love to sell my pictures as posters... I wish I could show them, but I still haven't got access to anything like Photoshop, so I cannot yet put a watermark on them... Local, good idea, but no so easy here. I'd have to travel back and forth bigger cities each time I get an order... Isn't that also time consuming. Actually, to be honest, I have no idea where I could get it done. Should research that, for sure! Thank you for that idea.

So, I guess I can always go with my original idea (and drive my parents insane) of ordering every picture, of every size that I want to offer, and store them. That way, I have some kind of stock, and I can start? Or is that plain silly, too much work or even dangerous for my money?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011 02:05:38 PM »

I think it might be too much work/money, personally. Why not test out some of the sizes you can print on your own and offer up a custom listing for the bigger sizes stating up front that it takes x amount longer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011 02:48:10 PM »

Why even bother offering to do all this ordering stuff? Yuck! Sign up at Zazzle - you get your own store with NO LISTING FEES and you get to decide what commission you make and you have to perform ZERO customer service.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011 05:49:57 AM »

Checking it out right now, thank you! I do have a feeling though that they focus less on 'arty' posters. Oh well, in the Dutch site anyway, because that's the one Google always directs me to.
But I have never heard of Zazzle, is it well-known enough to make sales?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeeJayRose
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011 06:27:32 PM »

http://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/business-topics/discuss/6734648/

There's a thread in the Etsy forums for photography. It's pretty much people selling photography just check in and offer up tips or ask questions. You'll probably find that useful. I'm thinking of offering photography some day (mainly want to sell clothing on there) and have found that thread to be useful.

PS Most people order their prints from somewhere, get them shipped to themselves (you can't get the company to ship directly to the customer. Against Etsy policies or something) and then ship to customer and they usually just warn the customers that it will take a bit of extra time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011 06:28:47 AM »

Thank you! I'm still leaving all my options open, whilst waiting for Photoshop (or something similar). Just curious in that thread... They talk about sizes. Are those sizes in inches? Because 4x6 and all that seems so small!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011 10:09:47 AM »

Throwing in my 2 cents...  I'm thinking of making my photographs into postcards/notecards and offering those.  I expect that I'll use Vistaprint where I can get postcards in sets of 100.  Though as I type this, I think I could take the postcards and make them into notecards myself...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
CeeJayRose
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011 02:23:43 PM »

Thank you! I'm still leaving all my options open, whilst waiting for Photoshop (or something similar). Just curious in that thread... They talk about sizes. Are those sizes in inches? Because 4x6 and all that seems so small!

Yup, that's inches. 4x6 is the standard, regular size picture.  Some find that the smaller pictures sell better than poster sized pictures. That's one thing I would suggest you can play around with. Offer a wide range of sizes and see which people buy more of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 8/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 7/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 6/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 5/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 2/15
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...