A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster Sockalong 2011  (Read 18039 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2011 05:39:53 AM »

Lovely Socks!!

How fun! I want to play!
I just finished my first pair of sock and have started on my second.
I'll post pictures and the pattern links today or tomorrow.
I love my socks!!!!  Amazing first pair!  After my weekend getaway, I'll post action shots. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crendon
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011 11:17:49 PM »

Socks are frustrating. By far the most stressful thing I've ever knit. Maybe I'm making it harder than it needs to be?! I've frogged these socks 4 times already.

I'm having an issue with the increase through the back loop; does anyone have any videos they recommend? I learn by watching, so the book I'm working out of is pretty useless right now!

I know once I get past the toe increases I'll be fine with the general pattern. At least until I have to start with gussets & the heel. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2011 01:12:50 AM »

I don't know if I can help you. The human sized socks I make are all knitted top down so I don't have much advice. But you can try this site: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/ No videos, but very clear pictures. It's great for first timers and I think she has toe up lessons too.

EDIT: These are the only toe up socks I've knit: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/treasure-forest-sock-bookmark If you don't mind small and fiddly knitting it's a great way to understand the construction of a toe up sock. It's not as scary when you've done it once. I will probably try a large toe up sock sometime, but so far I'm having too much fun with top down...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011 01:15:28 AM by Annchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SciFunk
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2011 08:11:25 AM »

I finally finished a pair of socks! They are 2 needle socks from http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kp2.html. It's a really easy pattern and I really enjoyed working on it.

What an interesting pattern! The newbies in this thread should definitely give this a go since it doesn't require the same kind of heel turning people are sometimes afraid of.

Socks are frustrating. By far the most stressful thing I've ever knit. Maybe I'm making it harder than it needs to be?! I've frogged these socks 4 times already.

I'm having an issue with the increase through the back loop; does anyone have any videos they recommend? I learn by watching, so the book I'm working out of is pretty useless right now!

You'll do fine! I still frog almost everything I knit at least four times before I get it going. Knittinghelp.com is a great resource for clear stitch videos. Here's the glossary: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary  Scroll down to "k tbl" (the list is in alphabetical order). It gives you options to view continental or English; if you don't know which one you are, just view both. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2011 09:51:39 AM »

I've been asked "Aren't you going to start ripping it out soon?" When I've started a project. I usually do a couple of times Tongue On the socks above I "only" had to rip back to the ribbing once when I realised I did the chart upside down (wth? I should know how to read charts by now)

I found a nice toe up pattern in the latest edition of the Knitter and I might have to try it out next. It's got the increases on the sole instead of a regular gusset and that looks like an interesting trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckdragon

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2011 04:16:47 PM »

Here are my first pair of socks!  They are done two at a time on a circular needle - so much better for me because when I do something one at a time, I tend to complete one and then not do the other  Tongue  The pictures are not the best as I took them on my cell phone.  The colors are a bit off...

I actually made these for pinkleo for the HP Deathly Hallows 2 swap.  The pattern is the Horcrux socks from Susan Lawrence on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/horcrux-socks-worsted-weight

These are done in a dk weight wool blend in the Griffindor colors.  They're definitely not perfect, but I thought not bad for my first try  Roll Eyes
The pattern is supposed to represent Harry's scar:

Here is a second pair that I've started for my daughter.  Hers are in a variegated sock weight wool blend to represent the Ravensclaw colors.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
crendon
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2011 11:38:25 PM »

Thanks! I checked out the videos, they were EXACTLY what I needed.

Progress: am STILL working on the toe increases lol. already bent my size 2 needles & am getting a weird blister/callous on my middle finger. guess I need to loosen up a bit lol.

Those horcrux socks are brilliant! Awesome first job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SciFunk
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2011 10:17:34 AM »

Here are my first pair of socks!  They are done two at a time on a circular needle - so much better for me because when I do something one at a time, I tend to complete one and then not do the other  Tongue 
I actually made these for pinkleo for the HP Deathly Hallows 2 swap.  The pattern is the Horcrux socks from Susan Lawrence on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/horcrux-socks-worsted-weight

Whaaaaaaaaaat? That first pair is so much cooler than my first pair! I just did plain' ol stockinette with one color, and here you are with crazy patterns and color changing. Brava!

On a I'm-still-pretty-cool note, I finished a pair of socks! They're made out of totally fluffy ridiculous yarn, so I'm glad they're done because I can quit feeling so silly toting them around in upper 90's weather. Pictures to come when I get them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2011 04:12:20 PM »

Oh my goodness, they are so amazing!!!  Completely put my first socks to shame!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clumsy_momma
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2011 11:20:56 AM »

I agree! My first pair was a horrible mess. Those are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Sun Star Image Effect Part 2/2
How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 1/2
How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 2/2
How to Understand what is Important in a Portrait
How to Create Image Rhythm and Balance Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...