A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster Sockalong 2011  (Read 17321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Annchen
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011 09:19:01 AM »

I knit too slowly to be able to make everyone socks for Christmas! (or rather... I get distracted by in between things and projects) I could, if I knit and did little else.

I might have to knit another pair for my father in law. He's definitely sock worthy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SciFunk
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011 07:26:25 PM »

For me... I've got this really nice sushi sock roll in a Deep Sea colour that's used in this pattern here (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/triton-socks-2) buuuut... I'm not sure if I should knit that pattern or use the roll for a second go at making pomatomus (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pomatomus). I love that pattern so, but I tried it a little bit early in my sock knitting days and made some poor choices in yarn colour...

Ooooh I love that Triton pattern! Do you know of a place to get it other than that back issue of The Knitter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011 07:30:11 AM »

It's Sock Sunday for me. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011 10:30:42 AM »

For me... I've got this really nice sushi sock roll in a Deep Sea colour that's used in this pattern here (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/triton-socks-2) buuuut... I'm not sure if I should knit that pattern or use the roll for a second go at making pomatomus (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pomatomus). I love that pattern so, but I tried it a little bit early in my sock knitting days and made some poor choices in yarn colour...

Ooooh I love that Triton pattern! Do you know of a place to get it other than that back issue of The Knitter?

I'm afraid not... I'm not sure, but I think that's the only place. I know some of his sock patterns are sold on ravelry, but since that particular pattern was designed for The Knitter it might be different. Perhaps you could PM Jon on ravelry and ask if there is another way?

I found my WIP of Pomatomus when I sorted through my stash the other day... It's so pretty, and I'm tempted to pick it up and start knitting again even if the gauge will probably be very different Tongue I just need to find another DPN in the right size. I think I was using 3mm ones, but for some reason I didn't not the size on ravelry. Silly me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011 10:32:30 AM by Annchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jfer007
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011 10:56:44 AM »

Oh! I'm really excited about this! Hopefully this will get my butt in gear to finally make my friend the pair of socks she's been wanting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011 10:48:29 PM »

This is perfect timing! I just did a swatch for my first pair of socks. Got my yarn, needles, and book so I should be ready to go. I've never used dpn's before and do the magic loop way with interchangeable needles and a long cable in the middle. Knitting with two circs is even too much of a pain, lol. So this is a great way to get into sock knitting and to force myself to use dpns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011 08:15:40 AM »

Ooh, yay! I could do with some sock encouragement, I've just started knitting (couple of months now), and started my first pair of socks a few days ago, they're a bit sad and miss-shapen so far Sad But it would be good to post them when I'm done and get some feedback. Also, this will help me get people's hanukkah presents done... Everyone's getting socks this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

textilejnkie
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011 09:57:44 AM »

I thought I'd share my progress -

I've frogged the toe again.  Third time's the charm, right?

Question for more experienced knitters.  I'm doing toe up using a figure 8 cast on on DPNs.  I see lots of advice to use two circulars for this- What is your opinion? Do you have a favorite toe up method?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011 10:11:24 AM »

I've only done the figure 8 cast on using dpns. It's a bit fiddly and I imagine it might be easier with circulars.

I rarely knit toe up however... Only when I do tiny sock-bookmarks or when I'm knitting pouches and things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011 10:42:53 AM »

I personally love 2 socks on 2 circulars toe up.  I hate having all those needles to worry about with dpns.  And I like doing 2 at once. 

I don't know if it's any easier to cast on...but I'll never ever go back to dpns. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing Dragonflies
How to Photograph Butterflies
Photographing a Brown Hare
Photographing a Wood Mouse
Badger Photographs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...