A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,637
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where do you lay out and pin patterns?  (Read 891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zoolover
« on: June 06, 2011 09:22:07 PM »

I found a pattern and fabric I like for a skirt. got the pattern piece cut from the pattern, and when I went to go pin the pattern pieces to the fabric, I realized I had no where to lay the fabric out. The largest space I have avalible to work is a little larger then normal office desk. Due to the setup of the house, that is also about the size of the largest floor space available in any one area, but it is also slightly smaller then the largest pattern piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011 03:23:26 AM »

I'm lucky enough to have a large table now, but when I was a student and lived in one room I used to use a large piece of cardboard (opened up box) on my bed. It slid under the bed when I didn't need it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
bananabanana
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011 03:35:49 AM »

This probably is useless, but I would try the library, and use the big desks they have for reading the newspapers. Or could you fold the fabric in half and do it that way? Sometimes the pattern can be folded in half, but they print the whole thing rather than putting a "cut one on the fold" label on it.
Sorry, not very much help as I have heaps of room at my house. You can come over if you like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011 04:28:19 PM »

HA! I LOVE the idea of going to the library to cut fabric Tongue That's the most clever, hilarious thing I've read in quite some time, and totally something I would do if I were still living in a dorm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Nerding along...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011 05:39:24 PM »

I lay out everything on the bed in our guest bedroom/sewing room. If I didn't have that room, I would lay out on our bed.  The advantage is you can pin right into the mattress.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
Mammy Made
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011 02:56:50 PM »

i use my floor, what i do if i am pinning things bigger than teh space i have is lay out as much as i can, start pinning and when ive got as much pinned as fits in my space, i move it a bit and pin the next section. Just make sure you pin it well so it doesnt shift too much when you move it. Also, be careful when you cut that it is laid out as neatly as possible and the folded bit is folded neatly etc to make it as accurate as possible, its more difficult but very possible Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kay_kalamata
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011 04:40:45 PM »

I use the floor as well. I'd be terrified of trying to cut on my bed! With my luck, I'd probably shred half the bed before realizing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mammy Made
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011 01:54:23 AM »

I use the floor as well. I'd be terrified of trying to cut on my bed! With my luck, I'd probably shred half the bed before realizing it.

thats what i thought  Cheesy x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mich_p

www.facebook.com/MichMonsterClothing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011 04:56:03 PM »

how about one of these cutting boards
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_01025055a

you could put it on top of your current workspace  or even on top of your bed to give you more workable room
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011 05:14:53 PM »

oh MAN! I LOVED going to the library to sew when I was in college! I was even able to bring my sewing machine down into the basement, where noone ever was, but there was a HUUUUUGE floorspace that I was able to use!

When I was restricted to the dorm, luckily the space between beds was about 2 feet wider than regular 45" fabric.

Now, I am actually not sure what to do either! I may start with the library thing again, at least for cutting out. The only floor space big enough in the apartment is in the middle of the fur-covered living room floor (3 kitties Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Adobe After Effects CS4 Tutorial
How to UVW Map and Texture - 3ds Max Part 1/2
How to Play Video In Reverse - Sony Vegas
Basics of Modeling - 3ds Max
How to Add a Watermark to Video - Sony Vegas Pro
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...