A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pandas, Tigers and Penguins - oh my!  (Read 2552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kumacrafts
« on: June 06, 2011 05:03:11 PM »

Hi All!
So I have been a busy bee and have a bunch of new creations I'd love to share with you all.  If you haven't seen my earlier posts, I mainly make laser cut acrylic jewelry. 

I always wanted a cute panda pendant, so I made one!!  I am so happy with how it turned out!

In previous posts, I had a cupcake bunny and cupcake cat.  Now I have cupcake bear in a similar format.

My penguins all sold out, so i made new better quality ones!  In even better colors, bright pink and light blue

I made a new style of my tiger (which also sold out)

And added new colors of the cupcakes and ice cream cones!

I also feel the need to post the steps I take to create my pieces, just so there's a bit more understanding out there about how I work.  I don't mass produce things (sometimes I get accused of this), and each item takes lots of time, care and effort. 

Steps to making Laser cut pendants (I hope to have a pic/video tutorial soon) But for now I will just type this up for all the skeptics!

1)  I create the design in Adobe Illustrator, I separate the design into several parts, each will be cut from a different color of acrylic.

2) I create seperate ai files for each sheet/color of acrylic i want to use.  I lie out each piece on its corresponding color.

3) I send my files to a laser cutting service, they cut and mail the pieces  (or I go and pick up)

4)  The fun begins!!  If needed, I sort the pieces according to which design the belong to.  Next, each piece has masking on either side to protect the plastic during laser cutting.  I have to remove this masking on every single tiny piece of plastic.  Most often, it's hundreds (sometimes thousands?) of tiny little pieces I have to peel off.

5) Once the pieces are unmasked, it's time to wash them (every single one).  Sometimes with warm dishsoap.  This helps get rid of any residue left over from engraving.  Then I pat them dry.

6) Finally I can glue pieces together!!! YAY!  I assemble the tiny pieces and turn them into pendants. 

7) Add any eyes, swarovski crystals, andy other details

Cool  We're done!  Just add a chain. ^_^

Sorry for such a long post.  Thanks to all who read it!! <3 you all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy ShopBlogTwitterFacebook
Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011 05:12:07 PM »

That's cool, i was wondering how you made them! Smiley  And I love all your pendants, they're sooo cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazylittlekels
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011 06:00:44 PM »

These are all so cute! I don't know what laser cutting acrylic means, but it looks awesome! lol You are so very talented  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
Liannalives
craft machine

peace is something we make with our lives.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011 07:19:34 PM »

Those are all so lovely! What's it cost to produce one, if you don't mind my asking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liannalives.tumblr. com
kumacrafts
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011 08:51:35 PM »

Thanks everyone for the compliments!  <3

@Liannalives  I'm sorry, but I really can't give out the cost for making one of these, as I sell them in my shop... but thank you for the kind words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkypanther
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011 12:52:52 AM »

wow.. thanks for explaining how you make these wonderful necklaces. You put alot of hard work into these cute pendants! great job and kudos!!!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kumacrafts
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011 11:18:57 AM »

thanks pinkypanther!  hehe i'm kinda glad someone realizes it's not as simple as it seems.  it's a lot of work! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011 04:46:32 PM »

they're pretty! And I understand how difficult they may be, since you can't do the trial-and-error thing that most crafters do, since you're not the one laser-cutting it. If it's the wrong measurements then.. uh-oh,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
kumacrafts
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011 09:13:59 PM »

Thank you!  Especially for realizing it's not such a piece of cake to make all this stuff Wink 

btw I'm not saying it's insanely difficult or anything, just time consuming. there are definitely more jewelry pieces and techniques out there that require more skill Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011 08:18:51 AM »

i adore your penguins Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Mini Bridge Feature in Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Crop Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Content Aware Fill Tool on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Brush Panel on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Text Layout Framework in Adobe Flash Professional CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...