A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pricing and website - I feel like slamming my head into a wall  (Read 1793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DiVina//DeNuevo

www.divina-denuevo.com

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011 02:29:45 PM »

Hey peoples,

So, two websites, both different types of things - one is leather clutches (www.divina-denuevo.com), and another is jewelry (www.piecesof2.com).

both have facebook fan pages, and I do craft shows - 4 in the last 2 months. NO SALES.
I mean. I've sold 3 things off my website. And at craft shows the only things I sell are the small ticket items (leather cuffs for 35, key chains for 12). The clutches that everyone gasps and comments on how much they love them, don't move.

The jewelry - everyone goes on about how cool and unique it is, and then they either walk away without even asking the price, or walkaway after hearing the price. Both times they walk away. I have no idea what I'm doingwrong, my prices are competitive with other crafters.

I'm on etsy, but thigns there are so much cheaper that I don't expect to make a sale.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? All feedback is welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leather Bags & Accessories: www.divina-denuevo.com
Jewelry made with antique pocket watch parts and vintage hardware: www.piecesof2.com
Photography: www.divinaimages.com
Etsy Shops: /divinadesigns /piecesofii /divinaimages
Flickr: www.flickr.com/divinaimages and www.flickr.com/divinadenuev
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011 02:59:52 PM »

Are you comparing like with like? Are the people who are making sales at the fairs as new as you are? They may have established relationships already.

However much I liked your bags, and however rich I was at the time, I'd want time to think about it and probably come back the second or third time I saw you. I'm a very cautious purchaser however.

Could it be something in your manner that's putting them off? If you feel very brave you could ask a friend to send someone unknown to you to check out your stall for some unbiased feedback.

Other than that, I really can't think of anything except to blame the financial climate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
DiVina//DeNuevo

www.divina-denuevo.com

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011 08:53:41 PM »

Someone did tell us that you need to make 6 independent impressions on a person before they establish brand trust and loyalty - so maybe it's that. I'm not sure it's my manner, since there's two of us - a boy and me, and we share the chatting so there's some diversity in communication style.

I'll definitely ask someone to send a stranger, that's a good idea!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leather Bags & Accessories: www.divina-denuevo.com
Jewelry made with antique pocket watch parts and vintage hardware: www.piecesof2.com
Photography: www.divinaimages.com
Etsy Shops: /divinadesigns /piecesofii /divinaimages
Flickr: www.flickr.com/divinaimages and www.flickr.com/divinadenuev
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011 04:39:13 PM »

You have expensive items in a bad economy. You have to buckle down and market your butt off, or you have to start making a bigger variety of those $12-30 leather items people will actually buy without hesitating. Perhaps you could stamp jewelry onto less expensive metals or other materials to open up your market a bit. Have you done a local press release? On the outside, snagging a bunch of stamps at an auction and turning it into a jewelry business sounds pretty interesting. Approach a couple of men's stores about selling those cufflinks, and maybe selling some leather stuff through a bike shop. Dig to find resources - they're out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011 05:57:10 PM »

Don't give up!  You just have to find your market!  I have done shows and sold $0 so I know the feeling.  I would stay away from craft shows and try more art shows, that might help.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laneybug
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011 09:12:07 PM »

Your products are absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, I would be like those irritating customers who only buy the $30, $40 items and never snag your jackpot items. For the right audience I'm sure you couldn't make them fast enough. But for people on limited budgets a $170 item is probably "too rich for their blood." It sure is for me, anyway.

As one person said, can you create just as beautiful and wonderfully hand crafted items with less expensive supplies? Or perhaps you just need to market, market, market to the RIGHT audience, as another said. The people who would willingly drop that kind of money on what you create are out there, for sure. You just need to find them.

Either way, I've definitely been drooling over your pendants. I only wish I could afford them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011 03:40:34 AM »

Let's discuss the shows, as that's what I do for a living.

Finding the right shows can be difficult. But if you're selling items under $50 you should make more of them.  Right now, that's your market. And that's a pretty good market to be in.

Were you in a show with just a table space? Or in a show that had a 10x10 booth space? How much were the shows? Under $100? Or over $100?
How was your work displayed? Did you have lots of lights? Always pay extra for ellectricity!

When you do a show, you have seven seconds to attract the customer. Seven seconds. And it's all visual. So have a nice well lit display, dress for success, and always stand up.

You can make a thousand dollars a day selling $35-$50 items. These will get you noticed. And if the customers like what you have, they will return next time for the more expensive stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
structuredchaos
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011 10:16:26 AM »

You also have to think about the market that you target, the shows you do may not fit into your target market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADDCrafting
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011 09:42:23 PM »

I took a look at your websites, and there is only one thing I can say that hasn't already been said.

Like laneybug said, I'm drooling over your pendants, but they're too expensive for my taste. I'm not sure if it's a new addition, but the listings of your pendants say they're also available in copper, but don't say that they would be any less expensive in that material. I don't know about most people, but I am fully aware that copper is at least half the price of fine silver. Since it doesn't at least hint that the price would be different for the copper version, I don't feel encouraged to ask. The listings also say you can buy the pendants with a chain, but don't say if the chain costs extra or not.

Of course, now I will ask you: Are the copper pendants a different price?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
Twisted Trees Boutique
Twisted Trees Boutique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011 02:22:56 PM »

I have been there.  I am by no means an expert at craft sales, but what I have found is that I leave my expensive items at home and make cheaper, smaller items to sell.  I've found that if things are priced under $20, they are more likely to sell.  I really depends on the market, but with the economy the way it is, I think what someone else suggested--art shows will definitely be more profitable.  Have you set up google analytics on your sites?  I've found that the info they gave me really helped me see what traffic is coming in and what items were most interesting.  It is free.  Good luck!  You have awesome items and your pages look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Boutique with unique designs
montsa007

22 Year old guy who likes craft!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011 03:05:43 AM »

Try to add the 'On Sale' tag on the products Smiley with a price comparison
Ex. "Was $xx" Sale Price $yy
This trick works well :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got 5 Minutes to spare? - PM Me for free craft Ebooks Smiley
CraftyLadyLiz
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011 08:42:30 AM »

I haven't done that many shows, but one I have done three times.  I have started with non-juried craft shows to gauge people's reactions.  Less is more, in terms of items and prices, but not in terms of friendliness.  I also watched how others did it, and learned. 

This year, I bought some tables of my own and set up the table weeks before.  It took up an lot of space in my living room but was worth it.  I got a feel for my display, and could look at it from different angles and perspectives.  I rearranged and tested the display of the goods as well as the price signs.  All in all, it worked.  I had more confidence when I was actually at the show. 

That confidence shows to the prospective customers, along with your belief in your product, and yourself.  I always ask myself if I would buy what is displayed, at the price displayed, and if not, why.  I have found that one of the answers is that I don't like what I made.  I can't sell what I don't like.

While I didn't do as well as I would have liked at my last show, I did better than anyone else at the show, which was outside in a picnic shelter with rain, wind, and close to freezing temperatures. 

I have paid to do these shows for the experience, and this year have been researching more shows to go to.  Don't give up, use the show as a learning experience, and look at what did work, and go with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizanne handcrafted treasures
www.elizanne.ca
MissMouse
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011 12:20:54 PM »

In school we learned that the 25$ product is the bread winner.
I know how frustrating it is to desperately want sell a big ticket item and have the profit in your pocket but unfortunately the majority of your sales will probably come from  the lower priced items.
One thing I could suggest is creating smaller items to match the bags (I don't have much advice for the jewelry as I've never made any before) a coin purse or wallet would sell at a lower price point and might entice someone to come back and splurge on the matching bag.

Also, having a mid range priced product would be a step in the upgrading.
I'm nor sure if that makes sense.
Like, say you had coin purses selling for 30$ and then had your bag selling for 150$ Having something in between, like a small clutch or something, priced somewhere in the middle would also help bring people back to "upgrade" to the next biggest thing.

I'm sure your products are wonderfully made, but unfortunately a lot of people have the impression that they can "get that at Wal-mart" or make it themselves.
It's hard to part with that amount of money in one go.
Give it time, be patient and market your butt off!
You'll do wonderful in time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi design
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012 09:27:49 AM »

Keep up! I've opened my online shop and so far no sales. I tell myself never give up. we'll be successful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Holiday Photo Card Ornament
How to Make Christmas Gift Card Holder Ornaments
How to Make Lanterns Out of Jam Jars
How to Make a Cork Picture Frame
How to Create a Cake Stand
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #107: Bottle It Up Winner!
Tute Tuesday: Whitman's Sampler
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...