A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: book cover and cuff  (Read 640 times)
Tags for this thread: leather_bracelet , book_cover  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011 09:55:42 AM »

I followed some tutorials for maching embroidery onto leather, pleather and other really difficult fabrics. I am in love, it was sooo difficult but ever so worth it! the book was my third attempt (thankfully I had a whole old coat to cut up and play with lol). I made the mistake of using too detailed designs.

the tips I can give are thus:
use line-only and very little detail in embroidery designs. I don't make my own, so these are downloaded. one a free design (the one on the book) from http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/, and the design on the cuff is a paid for design from my new favorite place: www.urbanthreads.com.

the following items are for my brother's birthday. he's 16 in the middle of this month, he's out, proud, gorgeous, amazing and I'm ever so proud of the guy. he's also kinda emo lol.

ok. without further ado, here's my latest funky things!!

there was a lot of flash glare, but that is the picture I emailed to his best friend to get a second opinion...her exact answer was "OMG! that's sooooo Oli!!!". excellent.

here's one, no flash so a little yellowish and slightly blurry...

he is transferring from a traditional school to what the uk calls a further education college; not the same as american college. more like.... high school and college combined if that makes sense. this is an amazing achievment because he's severely dyslexic and has been incredibly determined (told you I was proud!). So I made him a book cover.

and now for the book cover. I made the cover removable so that when he finishes the book, he can remove it and put it on another.

and to balance and stabilise the cover, I added some eyelets and ribbon on the inside. sewn in. I also added some eyelets on the outside, on the spine, just 'cos I was having so much fun with the hammer Smiley

not having a teflon foot, I decided not to risk machineing the hems and everywhere that needed sewing I did by hand.
same with the cuff.

so. whadya think?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paddel
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011 10:07:27 AM »

I think your brother will love it. Did it take a long time to finish the case? The colors are gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011 10:08:39 AM »

the case embroidery was 20 mins (it said 11 on my machine lol) but sewing it together was a couple of hours. I'm not too sure honestly, I was doing it while watching crappy saturday night tv lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Apostle Book Trailer
Stephen Hunter Talks About Dead Zero
Joseph Maroon Explains the Correct Dosage for Resveratrol
Meet Author Matthew Reilly
Liza Marklund Talks About Writing Crime Novels
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...