A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freecycle is incredible.  (Read 1589 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flinty
« on: June 05, 2011 04:32:27 PM »

I just picked up four paper grocery bags FULL of very decently sized fabric remnants, old clothes, some dress patterns, a couple of zippers, a bunch of buttons and pins, extra sewing machine needles and about two dozen (mostly unused) spools of yarn (including wooden ones from a company that hasn't existed since the 1950s).

I recently bought my first sewing machine so I wanted some scraps to practice on. I figured people would give me an old stained table cloth or two -- which was fine by me -- so I was SHOCKED that I came away with far more fabric and materials than I made room for in my office/closet/craft room/general playpen. People are so nice! One woman was especially generous: she's a seamstress so she she had a lot of extra fabric (like, yards of fabric, not just scraps) lying around. Because she knew I was a total beginner, she also threw in a paper tape measure and a pin cushion and warned me that stretchy fabrics needed to be sewn with a zigzag stitch. Smiley

Man, I'm so glad I made a strict rule for myself that I wouldn't buy new fabric unless I had a project that absolutely needed it! 

A lot of stuff I would have never gotten for myself but I think of it as a crafting challenge: I have this fabric, now I have to make something out of it. If nothing else, I'll end up with a lot of small polyester drawstring bags in many colors... all the better to store buttons and other sewing related things. Smiley

I will be sure to be listing a lot of the stuff I don't have use for on Freecycle this summer. One needs to pass on the generosity, no? (Also, I need to make room for all this fabric.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SouthernScraps
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011 08:21:39 AM »

Awesome for you! I'll have to check out Freecycle. Fortunately for me, my grandmother sewed and I have lots of free fabric to learn on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmorousDaisy

My name is Tiffany and I'm addicted to crafting :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011 12:34:41 PM »

Wow! I've never even heard of Freecycle! Googling now ... *I hope there's on in the Philly are* Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011 03:31:55 AM »

Yeahhhh I love freecycle too! I've gotten SO much fabric it's unreal, a wedding dress, wellies, typewriter and typewriter ribbons, furniture..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
briliantlyfreakish
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012 11:26:58 PM »

I just joined freecycle! I had forgotten all about it. I had an account a couple years ago but never used it. Hopefully I can get rid of a few things (still going through my late grandparents things) and get a few neat things too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djcathy
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012 07:04:50 PM »

Oh thank you I'm going to check out FreeCycle too!  I'm fairly new to sewing also.  Have fun! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewLicious Home Decor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013 04:52:40 PM »

I googled the link and there is a group right by where I live....thank you for posting the link!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exposure Bracketing
Shooting Into the Sun
Multiple Exposure Settings: Create Movement
How to Use a Lens Shade
Formatting Media Cards
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...