A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freecycle is incredible.  (Read 1505 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flinty
« on: June 05, 2011 04:32:27 PM »

I just picked up four paper grocery bags FULL of very decently sized fabric remnants, old clothes, some dress patterns, a couple of zippers, a bunch of buttons and pins, extra sewing machine needles and about two dozen (mostly unused) spools of yarn (including wooden ones from a company that hasn't existed since the 1950s).

I recently bought my first sewing machine so I wanted some scraps to practice on. I figured people would give me an old stained table cloth or two -- which was fine by me -- so I was SHOCKED that I came away with far more fabric and materials than I made room for in my office/closet/craft room/general playpen. People are so nice! One woman was especially generous: she's a seamstress so she she had a lot of extra fabric (like, yards of fabric, not just scraps) lying around. Because she knew I was a total beginner, she also threw in a paper tape measure and a pin cushion and warned me that stretchy fabrics needed to be sewn with a zigzag stitch. Smiley

Man, I'm so glad I made a strict rule for myself that I wouldn't buy new fabric unless I had a project that absolutely needed it! 

A lot of stuff I would have never gotten for myself but I think of it as a crafting challenge: I have this fabric, now I have to make something out of it. If nothing else, I'll end up with a lot of small polyester drawstring bags in many colors... all the better to store buttons and other sewing related things. Smiley

I will be sure to be listing a lot of the stuff I don't have use for on Freecycle this summer. One needs to pass on the generosity, no? (Also, I need to make room for all this fabric.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SouthernScraps
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011 08:21:39 AM »

Awesome for you! I'll have to check out Freecycle. Fortunately for me, my grandmother sewed and I have lots of free fabric to learn on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmorousDaisy

My name is Tiffany and I'm addicted to crafting :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011 12:34:41 PM »

Wow! I've never even heard of Freecycle! Googling now ... *I hope there's on in the Philly are* Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011 03:31:55 AM »

Yeahhhh I love freecycle too! I've gotten SO much fabric it's unreal, a wedding dress, wellies, typewriter and typewriter ribbons, furniture..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
briliantlyfreakish
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012 11:26:58 PM »

I just joined freecycle! I had forgotten all about it. I had an account a couple years ago but never used it. Hopefully I can get rid of a few things (still going through my late grandparents things) and get a few neat things too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djcathy
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012 07:04:50 PM »

Oh thank you I'm going to check out FreeCycle too!  I'm fairly new to sewing also.  Have fun! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewLicious Home Decor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013 04:52:40 PM »

I googled the link and there is a group right by where I live....thank you for posting the link!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Terry Mort Talks About The Hemingway Patrols
Meet Author Carolyn Castleberry
D.J. MacHale Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
George Wendt Talks About Drinking with George
Andrea Raynor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...