A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-shirt to yoga pants- Question about stitching  (Read 1364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 05, 2011 01:58:06 PM »

I have been in desperate need of shorts for the last 3 years. I typically manage to find 1 pair each year that I can tolerate, but that is about it. This year I was finally ready to try making my own.

Granted, they are nothing fancy, but I am all about comfy anyway. I made a pair of shorts a few days ago out of a t-shirt that was pretty stained (which I didn't realize until after I was finished making them). They fit pretty good and I was happy with them. I wore them all day and I noticed something.

Every time I take the shorts off or put them on, the thread breaks. I used a straight stitch and I began to wonder if I should have used a zig zag stitch.

So, I made another pair today using zig zag stitch. Here are the results:

I really love how they turned out. Super comfy, the length I want, and free Smiley

The only problem is that the zig zag stitch shows. Grrr.

What is the best way to stitch clothes that need a little give?

Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011 02:37:31 PM »

Cool! Did you come up with the pattern or use a tutorial?

You didn't say where the thread breaks, but I'm assuming that it is because of the stretch of the fabric and not stress on the fabric (like the crotch area-for that I'd do a zig-zag over the straight stitch or sew over the straight stitch with another).

You will find many answers out there about which is the best, but I use a straight stitch, a narrow zig-zag, a serger or overlock machine depending on the area and the effect wanted, or a twin needle. I sometimes have to stablize the seams as well. I'd test on a leftover scrap to find which one works best  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KaoticKrafter

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011 04:18:43 PM »

Thanks for the advice! The thread is breaking mostly around the waist but also in the crotch area. I will have to try the straight stitch with the zig zag.

The first pair I used I took a pair of my hubby's shorts that I always steal to wear and sort of used those as a pattern. I even made a pattern for future use out of poster board.

Then I found a tutorial on craftsters that I thought I might use, but I ended up just using the pattern I had made before.

I ended up needing a little extra in the legs, so I just added a strip of fabric in the inseam. Worked out well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ljelondon
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011 01:45:42 AM »

You want to use a zig zag, but not a very ziggy zig zag, IYSWIM -- set your machine to zig zag but fiddle around with your settings to get a stitch that is very nearly straight but just slightly zig zag to give you the stretch you need working with a knit. If you still have your sewing machine manual it may even tell you what settings to use (mine has a handy table). You could do with also using a ballpoint needle rather than a standard sharp needle -- it will push between the fibres of the knit rather than going through them, which again will reduce your problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KaoticKrafter

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011 10:39:53 AM »

Thank you so much for the tips. I will give that a try with the next pair Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gooberts

Gooberts.etsy.com

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011 10:04:29 PM »

When you sew knit or stretch- you need a ball point needle. Then you set it on a stitch that's about 6-8 stitches per inch and go to town!  Smiley You might have to fiddle w/ your tension- but it's all in the needle. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Because I said sew!!

WATCH OUT PROJECT RUNWAY...I'm coming to getcha...
SamanthaM
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011 12:25:07 PM »

How is the quality of the thread? If you are using a good, 100% cotton thread, then I suspect the stitch or needle is the culprit...but if you are using cheap thread (like the 25 cent stuff from walmart) it is likely not strong enough for the stress and movement of the seams you mentioned. The cheap thread definitely has its uses, but I would try a good quality type for seams that need to hold up to stress. Love the shorts--I have to make a pair!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KaoticKrafter

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011 07:58:20 PM »

Thanks for the tips Gooberts and SamanthaM. I did purchase some ball point needles and I prefer to use the expensive thread Smiley

Once I get my craft room figured out, I plan to make a few more pairs Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gooberts

Gooberts.etsy.com

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011 08:10:14 PM »

How is the quality of the thread? If you are using a good, 100% cotton thread, then I suspect the stitch or needle is the culprit...but if you are using cheap thread (like the 25 cent stuff from walmart) it is likely not strong enough for the stress and movement of the seams you mentioned. The cheap thread definitely has its uses, but I would try a good quality type for seams that need to hold up to stress. Love the shorts--I have to make a pair!!

Haha I disagree! You can use the crappiest thread in the world - and with a serge, it will be just fine- (there's three or four threads!) as long as you have a sharp ball point needle! AND- you should only be serging or cover stitching knit or stretch materials. If you straight stitch ANY knit or stretch- expect your stitches to break and tear. One line of straight stitching is not made for stretch!! Turn your store bought clothes in side out and look at the stitches! Nine times out of ten it's serged!!
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Because I said sew!!

WATCH OUT PROJECT RUNWAY...I'm coming to getcha...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Brine Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 2
Individual Beef and Pork Meat Pies Recipe
Apple, Cinnamon and Pecan Tea Cake Recipe
Watertown Relish Radio Show
Watertown School Cooking Visit
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...