A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My daughter's apron  (Read 747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixidance
« on: June 05, 2011 08:15:03 AM »

My daughter, who is about 20 months has spent the last few weeks tucking things into the neck of her shirt to carry around.  I decided that she needed an apron with a HUGE pocket Smiley  I used my trusty measuring tape and freezer paper to make the pattern.  I made it big so that she can wear it for a long time.  All the straps are adjustable since they tie.  I'm thinking of putting a pocket on the top too.

Best of all!  She loves it Smiley

apron 1 by pixidance, on Flickr

apron 2 by pixidance, on Flickr

apron 3 by pixidance, on Flickr

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxyMama
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011 08:23:23 AM »

Awwww - I love it!  An adorable little apron for an adorable little cutie pie  Cheesy

~Martha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
EllaRain
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011 08:33:32 AM »

Adorable. I love the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011 10:10:13 AM »

You made a perfect gift for your sweet little angel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catango
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011 06:28:59 PM »

So sweet! My friend's little girl just hit her own plot at the community garden, so I wanted tio make her a gardening apron. Do you have any tips that you learned while doing this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deeredone2
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011 03:25:33 PM »

That is too cute!  She looks happy with it too.  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fochaux
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011 04:54:53 PM »

besides the apron being totally awesome, you take excellent pictures! what's your secret?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
ljelondon
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011 01:22:25 AM »

I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mammy Made
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011 04:42:39 PM »

wow! thats gorgeous! as is your daughter Smiley x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixidance
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011 09:48:40 PM »

Thanks for all the kind comments Smiley
I shoot with a Canon Rebel and a 50mm lens.  That's my only secret Wink

I found it was easier to make a cloth "sandwich" than to try to bind and hide all the seams.  So, for the ruffles, I folded a 3 inch strip in half and then ruffled it and left the raw edge out.  i cut a front and a back of the apron (the back is just white muslin) and then I sandwiched the ruffle inside and sewed around it all leaving enough room to turn the whole thing right side out.  My ruffle on the top didn't get enough pins in it so it slipped out a bit.  After I turned the whole thing, I top stitched it all around.  The straps were also sewn into the sandwich.  Honestly, doing it this way took me half the time that it might have otherwise taken me to do french seams.  The whole project took me about 2 hours and my 20 month old kept trying to "help"  The straps are all tubes that I turned but they were 2.5 inches wide before I sewed them, so they were pretty easy to turn.

For hte pattern, I measured from armpit to armpit and that is the top width.  I then measured around her waist and that's how wide the apron is.  I also measured from her chest to where I wanted the apron to fall for the length. The last measurement was from the chest to the waist so that I knew where the apron would tie.  I marked my measurements out on the freezer paper.  I drew a curved "J" shape for the arm holes, folded the pattern in half and cut it out to ensure they were the same.  At the same time, I rounded the bottom of the apron.

If you wanted the apron smaller, then you would want to subtract a few inches from the waist measurement so that it didn't wrap quite all around.  I made this one bigger, and I just fold over the waist when I tie and the straps wrap all the way around and can tie in teh front.  I'm sure this will fit her for years to come as she grows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Marchesa Debuts Affordable Daywear Line
Temperley London - Designer Bio - Videofashion
Fall Maternity Fashion from Hatch
Maternity Lingerie and Baby Pajamas from Belabumbum
Stylish Clothes for Moms - Tsu.Ya by Kristi Yamaguchi Review
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...