A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pacman returns!  (Read 2275 times)
Tags for this thread: pacman , quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewhighonlife

I need chocolate!

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2011 07:01:26 PM »

My first quilt!! I made this for my nephew Eli, so I wanted something for a boy, something unique and modern, and something personal too.

My first thought, was that because I had never made a quilt before and had nothing to go off other than books, it should be easy. I decided a game of tetris would be easy enough, then the thoughts of cool retro games filled my head, Space Invaders and Pacman came up, and I thought Pacman would be easy enough. hahah *coughcoughchoke*

I first decided on the size. I figured the top of the coffee table looked about right for a cot/baby rug, measured it out and divided it by 3 inch squares. From memory, it only ended up being 13 blocks across and 16 tall. Haha I figured 208 blocks wouldn't take me long! It ended up taking 5 months on and off, but I did enjoy it!

Good learning experience! I wanted it to be completely geometric to begin with, and the actual Pacman block, I sewed so many straight edges of yellow material together to get it to look round and have his mouth open. It was my first block and I felt happy when it was done. Then I started on the maze, lots of combinations of 9 one inch squares sewn together to get the various intersections and end bits. By the time I got to the ghosts I had given up on having straight edges and mastered corners around the top of their heads, I was pretty happy with that! I figured I would do the same with the cherries, but it was wayyy to fiddly, and ended up appliqueing sort of square shaped cherries and leaves. I wanted them to look pixelated. I ended up doing applique with the letters and numbers too, sort of felt like I was cheating by this stage, but I am happy with the way it came out. I love the silver materiel I used for the letters, and I even sewed little black highlights to make the font look better.

I couldn't figure out what i was supposed to do with the edges or the quilting itself, and asked the ladies at the material store when I was almost done. I pinned up the quilt and started sewing in the ditch of the maze and around the letters, cherries and figures. It wasn't the smoothest after I was done, i must have not pulled it tight enough sometimes and other times been too tight, and the bottom material didn't line up perfectly with the top of the quilt and somehow some of the stuffing was getting squeezed out one side more than the other, hmmmmm, but in the end I didn't mind it, and I was happy with my choice of using coloured cotton in the bottom bobbin and clear thread in the top!

I was very proud of the edges. I spent most of the day before giving the quilt to Eli and his mum, in the car as a passenger and hand sewed all of it as my deadline was coming at me faster than I expected!

The score at the bottom, as high as it is, also happens to be his birthday Wink

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011 07:37:49 PM by sewhighonlife - Reason: added photos! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011 07:44:14 PM »

yay pacman!  nice quilt, I bet he loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011 09:46:31 PM »

You did a great job!  Love Pac-Man Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
magentarose
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011 10:26:21 PM »

This is really cute. I have a friend who absolutely LOVES Pacman....I may have to steal this idea for a Christmas gift  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Used2flysewhi
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011 05:35:23 AM »

OMG, I love Pac man! This is so good! I love the appliqueing of the letters and the score down the bottom - and it doubles as his birthdate - what a coincidence!!! haha Keep up the good work!! Very inspiring!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011 07:37:37 PM »

First quilt?! Wow. Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Eamea
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011 09:08:07 PM »

How cute!  You never did say what Eli thought of it, though.  That was really clever to make his birthday the score!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
bananabanana
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011 03:06:39 AM »

You are nuts Wink
but there is no stopping you now....it will all be a cinch after this!
What a lovely quilt for a bub.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

615bride
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011 04:53:29 PM »

What a great idea for a quilt! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewhighonlife

I need chocolate!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011 07:53:48 PM »

Wow thank you for all the lovely words! I can't wait to start on my next quilt! I have got too many in mind to know where to start hahah.

I gave this quilt to him in May 2010, so he was 7 months old, and didn't say a great deal  Wink but his mum has taken some action shots and when I track them down I will put them up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Great Spring Break Photos
Landscapes Photography Techniques
How to Take Great Winter Pictures
How to Take Great Pictures With Your Cell Phone
How to Choose Your Aperture Setting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...