A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sustainable, Zero-waste Fetish Wear (corset, spats, purse)! (work safe)  (Read 16209 times)
Tags for this thread: fetishwear , corset , sustainable , zero_waste , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smashu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 03, 2011 05:55:04 PM »

I'm a grad student and for one of my classes this semester we had to create a sustainable garment out of vintage or second hand garments. The goal was to use 100% of the materials to create an upcycled clothing piece, something only two people in the class were able to do (me being one of them).

I knew I needed to do something that directly spoke to my own aesthetic. This led me to conceptualizing the idea of using unsustainable fabrics to design fetishwear! The fabrics used to create fetishwear are typically quite bad for the environment and the idea of 'sustainability'. For all it's shiny glory, PVC is completely horrible for the environment from production to disposal so I knew I wanted to use second hand PVC garments for this reason.

My first order of business was to find some interesting PVC material and I immediately thought of children's raincoats. They had fun patterns and didn't have excessive amounts of material or lining! I picked up three coats from a second hand store and opted for this Mickey Mouse version because it reminded me of my childhood adventures in Disneyland and the Minnie ears I wore for months after we came back home Smiley From there I also knew I wanted to make a corset so I found a kilt in my closet that I didn't mind parting with that would work for the lining.

This was the result of many many many hours of determinedly using every scrap of fabric and even THREAD from the original garments. Zero-waste fetishwear!

(Headband with ears and bow, corset, necklace)
(Spats with working snaps from the original button-down front of the raincoat)

(Small matching purse)

These were the original two garments that I started with Smiley

(Raincoat)

(Kilt)

I took over 300+ progress photos for this project to document the journey. I've got it whittled down to maybe 40+ on a blog post with all my detailed notes on the progress but it just too much to post here. Sorry! The notes are here if you'd like to read them over: http://smashworks.blogspot.com/2011/04/studio-deconstructreconstruct.html

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I finally got to wear it out to an event two weeks ago and people were coming up and asking me about it all night, it was great to tell them that it was completely sustainable Cheesy This is going to be an ongoing project for me so I'll likely be posting some more styles over the next few months. Yay!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011 11:06:06 PM by smashu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
amber.hope
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011 06:01:39 PM »

This outfit is so incredible! You are insanely talented, I would totally buy this its that awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashu

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011 06:11:38 PM »

This outfit is so incredible! You are insanely talented, I would totally buy this its that awesome!!
Wow, thank you! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011 06:25:48 PM »

Wait....  you used all the original THREAD?  I thought it was pretty cool before, but that's amazing!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashu

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011 06:27:35 PM »

Wait....  you used all the original THREAD?  I thought it was pretty cool before, but that's amazing!  Great job!
Well, I didn't use it to SEW with.. but I did use it to stuff the bow and ears partially with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011 06:49:45 PM »

Wow. That's just frickin' awesome! I love it! You made the perfect face for it, too! So funny/cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011 06:52:23 PM »

AMAZING.  Shocked This rocks, and I'm not even that much of a Disney fan!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
smashu

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011 11:00:52 PM »

Wow. That's just frickin' awesome! I love it! You made the perfect face for it, too! So funny/cute!
Thank you! I seem to have a habit of making silly faces quite frequently.. lol Smiley

AMAZING.  Shocked This rocks, and I'm not even that much of a Disney fan!
Thanks! Tbh, I'm more of a Disney Princesses 2D musical fan myself but this was too much inspiration to pass up! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaz2phreek
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011 05:53:49 PM »

Okay, awesome. How often does one get to wear something made of PVC and get to feel good on 3 levels (looking fabulous, you freaking made it & it's sustainable)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
smashu

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011 10:15:38 PM »

Okay, awesome. How often does one get to wear something made of PVC and get to feel good on 3 levels (looking fabulous, you freaking made it & it's sustainable)?
Pretty much... never! lol I never thought about it like that though, it put a huge smile on my face. Thanks lady! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Perfect Presents to Please Any Stylish Mom
The Right Fit: There Is A Bra For Every Body
How to Rock the Trench Coat Trend for Fall 2012
Who Wore It Best: Pink Or Kim Kardashian?
Naomi Watts Wears An Unusual Little Black Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...