A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you use computers in your sewing room?  (Read 520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julstech
« on: June 03, 2011 10:47:16 AM »

I surveyed the members of my local sewing group to see what educational topics they were interested in. Many people wanted to know more about using computers in the sewing room. It got me thinking about all the different ways that computers become a part of your sewing routine.

I blog and read other blogs for inspiration. I have scanned images of the front and back of every pattern I own and then I have them stored in folders by manufacturer. I also post these images to my Flickr account so I have my pattern library available to me anywhere. I keep a list of my patterns in an Excel spreadsheet to help me stop buying duplicates. I, of course, frequent PR for sewing inspiration, the latest sewing news, and to search for answers to my questions. A few of my sewing books are e-books stored on my computer and I also have the Threads archive DVD.

I know there are other ways like hooking your embroidery machine up to your computer or using pattern drafting software. How else can one use a computer in their sewing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m_coates
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011 01:03:56 PM »

Hello fellow sewers.

Computers are becoming more and more popular in our every day lives and are rapidly becoming the norm. As flash is becoming a very big part on the internet it is now possible to watch video on our computers very much like a tv, especially if we set the flash player to full screen.

There is a very large source of sewing videos available on youtube so this is where the computer and the sewing machine work in perfect harmony. If you place your computer screen behind your sewing machine or in a good place to view the computer screen while you sew you can learn a huge amount of techniques. This is possible because most videos can be paused or played many times over so ideal when you are wanting to learn a special technique. Its like being at sewing school but right there in your sewing room.

Most computerised sewing machines will hook up with a computer and some like the new Bernina 830 will act like a computer on its own. Some really exciting stuff.

Just think where we could be in 10 years from now.

Regards to everyone and happy sewing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michael Coates - Professional English Tailor
http://www.TheSewingGuru.com
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011 03:33:10 PM »

I craft at my computer desk all the time! I like to watch movies and shows while I work, but it's also handy to be able to refer to tutorials, look up terms and techniques, or even follow my pattern (for yarnworks) in a different window from what I'm watching. If I'm sewing a garment, I do all my cutting and such at the dining table, but sew at my desk while watching my favourite shows. I pin seams on my keyboard slider Tongue

And of course, if it weren't for the internet, I'd have very little inspiration! I'm too cheap to fork out over $10 for a magazine that may contain 3 or 4 pictures I like, especially when I can get similar content for free online! Besides, I love seeing what fellow crafty people are up to, sharing information and inspirations Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Did Miranda Kerr Have the Most Stylish Weekend Ever?
Rihanna Reveals River Island Holiday Collection
6 Couture NFL Looks for Women
How to Wear White Denim
How to Rock the Boho Chic Look
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...