A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3 June Fiber Friday  (Read 1996 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 03, 2011 07:36:45 AM »

I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT! But before I go there I will share these:

Last thing I spun on my wheel before the kids lost "it":

100% Polwarth, 190 yards. This stuff was really light on one end and gradually went to really dark on the other end. I split it in half lengthwise, spun each about the same, then plied the light with the dark so they met in the middle. I think I did OK on that.

Then since the kids lost "it" and I needed my fix, I spun up this on my Drop Spindle:

112 yards WOOL. I got this wool from Ptarmic_wumpus in a personal swap. It was a small batt of blue and a small batt of orange so I ripped them into strips and spun it thin and variegated.

AND THEN I FOUND IT! I had spun up 3 bobbins of wool from the same Wumpus and planned on plying them but then the kids lost the top of my last bobbin before I could glue it back on and I've been so sad for weeks now. BUT I FOUND IT! I am the MOTHER of AWESOME. For now. Here's what I plied up:

Total yardage: ~300 yards. One bobbin was a greasy feeling brown, one bobbin was a dark blue, and the third bobbin was variegated blue/green. I love it. I think it will felt good. Also, I got my 2 yard Niddy Noddy in this time frame and have been wanting to use it. I like it. It works for me. Tempted to go through all my bigger skeins and re-wrap them but we will see. I do need to get ready for the Farmer's Market starting July 2...

Um, yeah, what have you guys done recently?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011 07:39:06 AM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011 07:51:08 AM »

So you didn't tell us what you lost Tongue scratch that.  apparently I should have more coffee before reading.. :p  Beautiful work! i like t he drop spindled one. the colors are great, and kind of remind me of a pic I took in the fall where the leaves were so orange and the sky so blue.

I've not had any time to spin anything significant Sad But I did get to go to sheep shearing day! (I'll  link to the pics in a minute or 2.)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=374237.msg4521106#msg4521106
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011 12:38:16 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011 08:20:16 AM »

Great work, jexxican.  glad you found the top of the bobbin.  it is so frustrating to have things go missing like that.

I only have 1 yarn this week, which is as yet unnamed.  In the batt, it was mostly teal, but after it was spun, the purple seems more prominent.  I love that about spinning sometimes, don't you?

It's a blend of BFL, alpaca, cashmere, faux cashmere, camel down, yak down, firestar, and the kitchen sink. Oh wait, not that last one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
charaxesdistanti
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011 10:16:20 AM »

Lovely yarns everyone.

This is half my braid of 70% Alpaca and 30% Silk blend from knittyandcolor. Second time doing a 2 ply using the andean method. Actually do it  this way with a book http://rosemaryknits.blogspot.com/2006/08/andean-plying-bracelet-simplified.html and it is great.

Twigs and Berries 2 ply about a Fingering weight 186 yrds. 2 photos because the first one is a little dark, second shows color a bit better. Loved spinning this, can't wait to start spinning the rest.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011 10:17:09 AM by charaxesdistanti » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
Sprocketfox
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011 12:33:46 PM »

I didn't get very much spun in the past two weeks. I had a huge renfaire over memorial day weekend and promptly got a sinus infection when I got home so I stayed pretty lazy. But what I did get done I am freakishly proud of because its my first colored yarn. The roving is "mystery wool" dyed by Neauveau Fiber Arts. If you haven't checked her out yet I highly suggest it. Good prices, awesome video tutorials and very fast shipping.

I call the finished product "Summer Storm"

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nittydread

Spin like the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011 01:37:49 PM »

Jexxican: Glad you found your bobbin part and LOVE that drop spindled yarn!

Inlerah: Beautiful yarn, I've never tried spinning from a batt. That's one of my goals for Tour de Fleece.

Charaxesdistanti: Happy colours, love it!

Sprocketfox: Woot for your first coloured yarn, it looks really nice!

This is what I made this past week:

Wensleydale singles, light fingering. Colourway is called Bruised Ego. First Wensleydale, first singles yarn, LOVE.

Northbound Knitting Fiber Club - May '11 - Bruised Ego - Wensleydale by nittydread, on Flickr

This is Kentucky Derby, a fingering/sport Norwegian long wool 2-ply. Oh, beloved long wools.

Spunky Eclectic Fiber Club - Mar '10 - Kentucky Derby - Norwegian Long Wool by nittydread, on Flickr

Huckleberry Train, worsted Falkland 2-ply. The thickest yarn I've ever spun since I learned how to spin thin!

Southern Cross Fibre Club - Jan '11 - Huckleberry Train - Falkland by nittydread, on Flickr

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011 02:08:43 PM »

Lovely yarns this week!  I can't pick a favorite. 

Jexx -- glad you found the missing bobbin piece -- glad you had a drop spindle in the meantime.

Here's my yarn this week.  403 yards Black Irish Cria alpaca single.  I bought the roving last year, and have been scared to spin it for fear of ruining it.  I love how it turned out -- it's crazy soft!  There are still lots of miniscule pieces of hay in there, but I'm sure I'll be able to get them all picked out eventually.  It was my first time spinning alpaca and I really loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nittydread

Spin like the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011 02:10:23 PM »

That looks awesome, nikschaf! Must be soft like nothing else, nom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011 02:25:46 PM »

Nik, I know what what you mean about not wanting to ruin fiber by spinning it. That came out lovely, though, and I am glad you did spin it. I've been noticing little bits of hay even in my professionally/commercially processed braids of roving lately. Maybe the act of processing my own has made me more aware of it?

Nittydread, your yarns are gorgeous. I can't believe you've held out on us so long.

Sprocketfox, love the sheen of that.

Charaxe, that looks very woolen. Did you spin from rolags?

Inle-rah the colors blending definitely adds to my enjoyment of spinning! Yay, 2ply. Did you have much left over or did you center-pull ply it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
volomortuus

I love my spinning wheel and my garden!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011 04:20:36 PM »

i've spun three other skiens beforei had emergency appendix surgery at 1 am monday morning but i just washed them this morning so i couldn't get pictures... sorry but none-the-less here is one of the ones i haven't posted that i spun a few weeks ago

its PMS blend from River Edge
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheap Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Pot Pie Recipe
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Fondue
How to Make the Perfect Turkey
How to Make a Lighter Cranberry Relish for Thanksgiving
Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...