A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,850
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creating my own logo...need help!  (Read 485 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AshtonagoL
« on: June 02, 2011 01:36:23 PM »

I'm trying to design and create my own logo to use on tags, avatars, banners, etc.  I know exactly what I want it to look like.  Just not quite sure how to create it digitally.  I might be able to draw it on paper but I want it to look kind of "cartoonish" and I'm not sure I can achieve that on paper.  And I wouldn't know how to get it from paper to digital format without it being painfully obvious that it's scanned in.  I've drawn most of it digitally but I'm not sure I can finish the details that way.  Any suggestions on where to go from here?  If anyone is good with graphic design, I'd be willing to work out a deal.  My biggest problem is that I'm on a tight budget.  My "business" is really not a business at all yet and I'm not sure how much I want to put into it.  My main reason for wanting to get a logo is for use on business cards and a facebook page.  The few things I've sold, I have not set out to sell.  I've been contacted by someone who saw something I made for someone else and wanted one for themselves.  So just a few word of mouth sales.  Which is probably how I would like to continue for a while.  But I think ppl who don't know me would be more likely to contact me if they had a biz card, rather than my mom or friend writing my phone number on a scrap of paper, lol.  In other words, I can't really afford a big investment because I'm not likely going to make that money back.  Anyone want to help me out?  I definitely would not expect anyone to help me for free.  I just can't spend a ton.  I'd also be willing to exchange your services for something I can make or for some fabric stash.  If noone is interested in taking over for me, does anyone have suggestions on how I may be able to figure out how to do this myself?  I think what I'm wanting is probably pretty basic for anyone with some artistic/graphic art talent.  I just don't have any of that. lol.  Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011 06:58:43 PM »

Can you upload what you have so far? And what you'd like to change or add?

I've used Vistaprint before; they usually have some great deals going for business cards where all you pay is shipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
nauticalstar8
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011 11:58:25 PM »

There are tons of logo makers for free online. If you can scan it, and upload it I can probably help you with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AshtonagoL
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011 05:34:08 PM »

My name is going to be Handmade PB&J.  (Meaning purses, bags, and jewelry).  Here is what I have so far that I made in my photo editing program.  I'd like to add some bracelets and purses to the PB&J ppl's arms, lol.  And obviously text, but I can do that part on my own.  Also, before anyone puts too much thought into this, is this "logo" too juvenille?  I will be making some kids items but most of my items are for ladies.  Now I'm wondering if I should just do a picture of a purse and a necklace or something a little more "generic" yet "elegant"?  Thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011 05:32:13 AM »

I don't think it's too juvenile, since you make baby items. I would discourage you from making it too complicated, though. You want a logo that makes sense and looks good shrunk down to about 1" x 1" or smaller for a business card. I would also try designing a little larger, with higher dpi, to get smoother lines. I use a free photo editing program called GIMP. It does just about everything Photoshop does. You can always resize it later to get a smaller file size for use online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011 07:21:59 AM »

I thought I posted something here before; anyway, I'd be happy to help you out for free, just send me a message. I think you should keep the name since it motivated you well enough to give it a shot. Learning GIMP is fine if you want to play with graphics more than make stuff. Once you have a business card, that's pretty much all you need.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011 06:28:13 PM »

Thank you all for your input!  I really appreciate it!  I have used Gimp a little for photo editing but that's it.  Crafty Chef, I love it!  That is perfect!  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deadly Book Trailer
Lipstick in Afghanistan Book Trailer
The Radleys Book Trailer
Books Make Great Gifts
Cake Boss Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...