A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,748
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boxy Button Down to Shirred Girly Awesomeness :)  (Read 3892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2011 10:00:45 AM »

Oh Man! It's been a LONG time since I've posted anything on here. I really haven't done any crafting since Nov. 2010 because life kinda started rolling downhill for me for a bit. First I got sick, went to the ER, missed Thanksgiving, found out it was just too much acid in my system causing all my pain. But I have tons of digestive issues and took months to work through had to be on a bland diet for two months! Uck. Then in March I fell and separated my shoulder that took months to heal so finally I'm getting back into some normalcy and crafting Cheesy Yay! (also lately I've been working on redoing my blog/etsy/prints and website)
This project I'm about to share was completed before all this &*%$ hit the fan LOL!

I found this awesome shirt at Goodwill, didn't like the shirt but loved the pattern! I've done something similar to this before (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342528.msg3977471#msg3977471) so when I saw it I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it!

Since there was only so much material the top turned out a little shorter than I wanted but it's great for layering Smiley
Another little side note, the necklace and pendants I'm wearing were also made by me. Great thing is the chain is actually a chain from an old beat up vintage purse I also found at Goodwill. It's a snake chain and all I did was change the ends to make it into a necklace. I like to wear it doubled up and sometimes I add pendants and sometimes I don't Cheesy

Thanks for looking! Looking forward to getting back into the groove of things soon Cheesy

Some helpful tuts about shirring:
http://www.rufflesandstuff.com/2010/02/shirring-tutorial.html
http://pretty-ditty.blogspot.com/2009/04/smockingshirring-tutorial.html
http://www.kukyideas.com/journal/2007/04/shirred-dress-tutorial.html

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011 10:07:42 AM by lindsycarranza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011 11:34:19 AM »

It looks great and seems to be just your style from the pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011 11:50:27 AM »

Thank you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
kraftswhenbored
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011 09:03:18 PM »

Nice recon! I like the pattern on the fabric, and you did a good job on the tutorial. Thanks for sharing! I've never tried shirring before, but I've got some fabric and a dress idea that I want to make for my daughter and I'd like to do some shirring on it. You've inspired me to give it a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jasminewolverine
Jack of all trades, master of none!

Extrapolate that!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011 01:10:17 PM »

This really IS awesome! Thank so much for posting the step-by-step... I just started sewing, so this is a great visual guide (because I really don't know what I'm doing yet!). The finished product is just adorable, and I especially love the sweater you've paired it with in your last photo. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap for stuff for my lonely, empty walls!
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011 02:26:27 PM »

Hm, suddenly, I want to turn one of my old button-downs into that (which is strange, I normally don't dig these shirts so much, hmm), not even sure it will work for me, but I want to try! lol That means you did a very nice job & I like it a lot. lol

Maybe I'm just missing where you said it, but how did you handle the button-down portion? Is it just buttoned or did you sew it shut?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011 02:27:08 PM by Painted Sparrow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011 11:02:23 AM »

Nice recon! I like the pattern on the fabric, and you did a good job on the tutorial. Thanks for sharing! I've never tried shirring before, but I've got some fabric and a dress idea that I want to make for my daughter and I'd like to do some shirring on it. You've inspired me to give it a go!
Thank you so much! It's super easy, I was afraid of shirring at first but once you start it's almost addicting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011 11:03:08 AM »

This really IS awesome! Thank so much for posting the step-by-step... I just started sewing, so this is a great visual guide (because I really don't know what I'm doing yet!). The finished product is just adorable, and I especially love the sweater you've paired it with in your last photo. Great work!
Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011 11:07:32 AM »

Hm, suddenly, I want to turn one of my old button-downs into that (which is strange, I normally don't dig these shirts so much, hmm), not even sure it will work for me, but I want to try! lol That means you did a very nice job & I like it a lot. lol

Maybe I'm just missing where you said it, but how did you handle the button-down portion? Is it just buttoned or did you sew it shut?
Thanks so much! OH I did forget to mention that. With the top shirred section I removed the buttons since the shirring would sew it shut. The bottom portion is just buttoned not sewn shut. I used the buttons I took from the top and added them to the bottom just so it looked more even and would stay closed better. Since this one I only wear with layers I opted to just have it buttoned but you could definitely sew it shut and leave the buttons for a decorative touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SnazzyS
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011 03:44:50 AM »

That's really great fabric...you did a nice job of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Monster Sounds with the Click of a Button
Stunning Timelapse of Dense Fog Clouds Rolling Over Chicago
A Funeral for Blue Eye
Filming and Editing Tech Videos
Tips for Conducting an Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...