A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Canadian Postal Strike  (Read 2552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011 06:50:21 AM »

If it is going Canada Post, and not a private parcel company like UPS or something, it will likely not be delivered until the workers are no longer locked out - not unless it had made it through processing earlier in the week it sounds like.  So either when a contract is negotiated, or the government steps in and stops the lock out, or legislates workers back to work to stop the strike action.

http://clients.infopost.ca/en/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011 06:52:49 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Distant_Twilight
Code Monkey

Creativity is creativity. There is nothing like it

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011 06:37:55 AM »

From the looks of things hopefully the strike will be over at the end of the week.
They're debating on the back to work legislation
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/166723/20110621/canada-postal-strike-bill-passed-harper-government.htm
Though opposition parties are against it, so it may run until after parliament goes on summer break  Angry
Though I do respect opposition for not wanting to meddle in the affairs of others, it really is affecting my swaps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist!!- http://www.wists.com/Distant_Twilight
Will not be returning to craftster until I can get my anxiety under control. Thank you for all the supportive people I have met here!
Onyxnox

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011 06:53:41 AM »

Yes, I am conflicted about back to work legislation - it does interfer with worker's right to strike - but then again, my profession is considered an essential service so we don't have the right to strike anyways, which makes me apathetic to those who can.  Also to be truthful and selfish, I want nothing to interfer with my swapping either! 

The Cons stated to the news last week they would extend the session if necessary to get the BTW legislation passed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011 11:33:32 AM »

The Cons stated to the news last week they would extend the session if necessary to get the BTW legislation passed.

really!?! seems unlike the cons... who generally prorogue the govt to get want they want  Wink feels a bit undemocratic.

i am of two minds about it as well. the only time i worked for a union i got royally screwed over.  dont have a lot of faith in either system anymore.

but there are a bunch of swaps i wanted to join and i have been stalking all spring waiting for them and they are all open NOW...  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Onyxnox

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011 01:36:12 PM »

really!?! seems unlike the cons... who generally prorogue the govt to get want they want  Wink feels a bit undemocratic.

LOL - what can I say - no fear of a non-confidence vote, and no Olympics must be making them giddy and not think straight?  Or there are a bunch of crafty Conservatives out there wanting to swap too - hmmmm, thinking a lot of pro-Harper signs, accompanied by personalized muzzles here....

I am thinking their anti-union stance is driving them and they want to give a little to the public so they can hide a few other things - like  maybe so some people won't continue questioning all the G8 spending in Flaherty's riding.  They put new sidewalks and streetlamps in a town over an hour away from Huntsville, where it is well known NOONE walks, let alone at night -  just a town of 300 people for goodness sakes!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011 06:29:46 AM »

Doesn't FedEx and Purolator still run during the postal strike?  At least that is what I've always been under the impression of, since they run independently of the CUPW?  Shipping rates with FedEx and Purolator are usually about the same (sometimes even cheaper) as Canada Post anyways, especially if you are shipping out of country.  

(but from the sounds of it Harper just pushed the back to work legislation yesterday.. so postal workers may be back to work soon)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011 06:31:32 AM by sweatereyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
Distant_Twilight
Code Monkey

Creativity is creativity. There is nothing like it

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011 07:08:51 AM »

Doesn't FedEx and Purolator still run during the postal strike?  At least that is what I've always been under the impression of, since they run independently of the CUPW?  Shipping rates with FedEx and Purolator are usually about the same (sometimes even cheaper) as Canada Post anyways, especially if you are shipping out of country.  

(but from the sounds of it Harper just pushed the back to work legislation yesterday.. so postal workers may be back to work soon)

Normally it's more expensive, plus with more Canada post locations, it's less of a hassle to get to. Sure a courier will take it to your door, but if you're not there it can be a chore to get to
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist!!- http://www.wists.com/Distant_Twilight
Will not be returning to craftster until I can get my anxiety under control. Thank you for all the supportive people I have met here!
Onyxnox

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011 07:53:25 AM »

Depends on what you are shipping too, and sometimes they charge a brokerage fee or something like that to the receiver as well, depending on what is being shipped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011 08:56:19 AM »

i looked into purolater, fedex and canpar to send my last hoopla round.

all were significantly more. (about 18 bucks Shocked to send from on to ab vs canada post's 3.50, more for the one going to georgia)
 i got them in the mail while the rotating strikes were on.  hopefully they will be shipped soon once they are back to work. my solution is to just not sign up for any new swaps til the mail is running again. Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011 07:17:22 AM »

The last swap I did, I did use Canada Post only because it was the most convenient for me (I can walk to one instead of busing to one). But I had checked in with Purolator and FedEx (I'm lucky that both of them are in the same building so its easy check both).  It was  a relatively small package, and was going to Michigan (from Ontario).  Canada Post: $22  Purolator: $23.50  FedEx: $25  (these are somewhat estimates, but they are off only by cents here and there).  I've sent with FedEx before, and it has never seemed really outrageous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Money from Soap Making
What a Lye Is in Soap Making
How to Think Up Quilting Patterns
How Outline Quilting Works
How to Quilt Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...