A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 303,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Caged bird dress NOW WITH BETTER MODELLED PHOTOS!  (Read 3979 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: June 02, 2011 05:12:53 AM »

So I took some photos with my wonderful friend modelling Smiley

the lovely model is my friend Captin Ron Smiley http://www.modelmayhem.com/874910

It's hard enough convincing people textiles is a 'proper a-level', and the fact that the exam paper has 30 questions to chose from (20 of those being single words) doesn't really help  Undecided

BUT I chose my question (parks) and ended up creating a corset and cage design that came from looking at birds and also wrought ironwork such as gates and fences, especially the ones in my local parks (Nottingham has some lovely victorian era metal work knocking about)

The exam is 40% of the marks and is a month(ish) of prep and a 15 hour exam (done over 4 days as I had some exam clashes with other subjects). At the end we hand in a final piece, a sketchbook and an A1 board with some prep work mounted on it

The whole thing is an underbust corset (white coutil dyed in pastel colours with spring steel boning and boning channels and binding painted with gold plastikote)a cage skirt (approx 13m of cotton coated plastic boning sprat painted antique gold and about 5m of gold ribbon and also 2 metres of golden thread to stitch the thing together) and a feathered collar made with LOTS of natural feathers (peacock, duck, guinea fowl, peacock and various exotic birds) with a ribbon closure and all mounted on some cotton covered boning) and a fascinator on a comb made of craft feathers painted in gold plastikote. Phew!

the collar

I'm putting up my end of year exhibition in a week or so, so i'll try and get some better pictures!
(sorry for all the text!)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011 03:27:11 PM by BethanyRose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Provehito in altum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011 05:27:59 AM »

Well first of all I can tell you how it feels to have your a-levels not considered "real" (I did art, graphics and textiles), even being one of the top students in the school people still didn't think I'd achieved what some other people with As etc. achieved.
I think your exam is structured quite differently to how mine was however, but either way... art and design, far harder than people seem to realise!
Anyway, this is beautiful, I love the ideas behind it, and I know people on my foundation that couldn't have thought of such a clever idea from a title. You should be really pleased with it, it would be great to see pictures of someone wearing it Smiley
I hope your exhibition goes well!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011 06:08:19 AM »

I'm not familiar with the term "a-level", but I have the same type of issue up here in Canada. When my guy and I meet new people and we tell them I'm studying art and he's studying chemistry, I get a lot of "oh...that's cool" and he gets a lot of "wow that must be hard".

SO NEVER FEAR, we here at craftster know how hard your work really is, and we appreciate the dedication that it takes! your final assignment looks fantastic (LOVE all the feathers and gold!) and I hope you get (got?) a really good grade on it!

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011 07:10:21 AM »

I do study chemistry, and still think this would be very difficult, as difficult as anything I do!  I absolutely love the structure of the skirt; I think it just makes it, and it absolutely follows from your inspiration.  Great job!

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011 08:37:49 AM »

I love this, it's stunning.
My cousin is having a simalr problem, also in Notts. he's studying photography or somesuch.

I'm not familiar with the term "a-level"...

A Level is the qualification taken between age 16 and 18/19, english-speaking canada that's grade 11/12, quebec it's secondary V etc... I guess it's most closely related to the Baccalaureate, only not quite as in depth..... High School diploma perhaps, but a bit MORe in depth lol.

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011 09:05:13 PM »

This is beautiful! I would love to have the skill for this kind of garment

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011 06:52:37 AM »

thats amazing
the skirt and corset are very steampunk looking Smiley

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012 08:22:31 AM »

it looks really really nice ^.^ kudos

^.^ desire to be you ^.^
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012 01:51:01 PM »

this is lovely :3
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012 01:58:19 AM »

Ridiculously beautiful! Fantastic idea, unique but so wonderful it seems obvious (how did I not think of this?!) So much time and energy into this! And you're lucky to have such a talanted model at your fingertips!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Aboriginal Style Drawing Part 1
How to Make an Aboriginal Style drawing Part 2
How to Make an Aboriginal Style drawing Part 3
How to MASTER Drawing an Eye in 5 minutes
How to Oil Paint - Varnishing and Signing
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...