A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft "Foyer" (pic obese)...and long-winded LOL  (Read 2153 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fochaux
« on: July 26, 2011 03:19:35 PM »

The teaser Smiley

DH I started getting tired of the craft room envy and since we don't have a ton of space and a great abyss of wasted space also known as our unused foyer, I decided to turn that into my craft 'room'........especially since twin 15 month old girls can still "see" mommy and "learn" by observation all things crafty and good.  Befores come first then I'll try to caption the afters with some comments.  DH gives his thanks to all of you 'wonderful peeps' (as he calls you......you have helped at least 25 massive items make it in from the garage....I'm still working on finding homes for my fabric....that might have to stay in totes in the garage for now

BEFORES:

AFTERS:

Lg shelving unit Ikea Expedit, Baskets something from Ikea (all FREE from the neighbors who were getting rid of them Cheesy), Bins are Itso from Target
Sm shelving unit is also Ikea...the powers-that-be would not let me return it even though they told me this particular unit was bookcase-depth....NOT!  Meant for DVDs...........or in my case spools of ribbon and tulle and various other bow-making notions Smiley

The bins and baskets hold the stash of yarns I think I am super-attached to...the rest of the yarn I am hoping to sell off (9 giant totes worth...EEK!  are still in the garage awaiting new homes).  The train case is an antique I use for my sewing box.  Then you see the 'babies' (2 sewing machines and a serger...all Brothers LS-1217-my first, an XL-3750 then the 1034D) and books.  The pile in the cube on the lower right is a bunch of UFOs.

The hook to hold longer length WIPs....we're into making clothing over here now and sometimes have multiple things on the dress form or machines at any one given time.  I have another hook for smaller WIPs over the desk.  The black 'wall' is a card table for extended workspace and craft fairs, etc.

What's hiding behind the curtains?

Ribbon and bow-making notions!  Sorry for the blurriness!  I am not a photog (OBVIOUSLY LOL).  I used tension rods to hang 'curtains' that I made to hide the innards so it wasn't looking like a giant pile-o-crap out in the open.  Said curtains are made out of 1/3 of a black twin-sized flat sheet where I sewed the raw edges (only 2 sides on each while folding over/pinning so you wouldn't see the raw edge) then a fold-over for a rod casing...I then used grosgrain ribbon to trim the bottom and to tie the color scheme into the colors of the Itso bins on the bookcase.

View from the front door....I didn't feel like clogging up more space on the shelves with my fabric with the leftover piece of twin sheet, so I basically sewed a giant pillowcase to cover the blue elephant in the room (dress form) and then sewed two pieces of the grosgrain ribbon from the curtains to cinch the cover at the waist.  It's not perfect but looks better than a giant blue dress form in the middle of nowhere in there Smiley

The DESK!  My awesome DH refinished this desk (and the chair) with spray paint and new hardware.  The desk was painted this horrid 70s yellow and cream theme with scrolly-looking hardware.  The desk was $24 and chair was $6 at a local thrift store.  The cost to refinish, down to the cushion (which I did) was prolly around $50 for absolutely everything.  The drawers on the left hold trims/elastics/etc, thread/cutting mat/ extention table for sewing machine, foot pedals/sewing patterns...the drawer on the side where I sit are my scissors/cutting implements, pins, needles, etc.  The lamp was only $8 (including bulb and tax) at Ikea (sense a theme?) and swivels all sorts of ways...it works as an awesome craft light and I didn't need to spend a fortune for a craft lamp....that has to be my favorite find Smiley  It puts a great spotlight right on the needles when I am sewing.  The picture looking thing is an 8X10 acrylic frame covered in fabric and 'pouches' so you have an easily accessible place for tools when you're working on a project.  Besides my Edward Cullen voodoo pincushion, this has GOT to be my all-time favorite item received in a swap from here Smiley

Alternate angle of above Smiley

Closeup of the desk and chair

"Now get in that foyer and make us something mommy!"

Thanks for looking!  We're (DH and I both) proud of having just gotten the foyer cleaned up amidst the first year of our twins' lives and the 'crafty engineering' of baby girl #3.  We're always downstairs, and this provided me with a place to do make some crafty goodness with the girls in close proximity.  Hope you've enjoyed looking and have gotten as much inspiration for yourselves as much as I have from stalking this board for as long as I have.  Oh yeah, and thanks for overlooking my pregn-emotional long-windedness Smiley

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 03:21:55 PM by fochaux » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
barbie820
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011 03:35:26 PM »

so jealous! the cushion fabric is gorgeous!!! love the reworked sheets as curtains. enjoy it and craft a plenty
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 03:35:51 PM by barbie820 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
Vincent van Gogh
fochaux
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011 03:42:34 PM »

Thanks!  I got a bunch of that fabric off one of the clearance/remnant tables they have at Hancock Fabrics for 70% off or something ridiculously cheap like that.  I liked it because it had grayish brown tones in some of the leaves and it would tie together my brown sofa (which was new) and gray chaise lounger (which was and still is old).  I used that and another grayish brown and brown fabric from the same table to make throw pillows for the living room....and given the fact that I am Ikea-obsessed (and every other piece of furniture is the same color as the shelves in the foyer), the foyer and living room (and dining room) all flow nicely together Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
fochaux
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011 03:51:51 PM »

OOPS!  Forgot to mention that the idea of a craft room has been a massive WIP for almost a year and a half now.  Nesting this pregnancy had kicked in and since my husband did the chair and desk for me for Mothers' Day this year, he kicked my butt into high gear and I decided to try and get at least one thing organized before the new baby comes and all hell breaks loose Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011 03:06:00 PM »

Great idea using a small space. I am always looking for ways to do this as we also are short on space. I am really inspired.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiorinda
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011 04:01:35 PM »

This is awesome!  I actually really love the mannequin slipcover.  I'm totally jealous because I had to drastically reduce my crafting for a while after my twins were born. There was nowhere we would all be safe from my pins!  Thankfully they are about to turn 5 so I have brought all my stuff back out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ravenwitch
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011 06:31:17 PM »

I can't believe you did that with such a teeny tiny space and made it look so good!  Wow.  I love the whole thing but the dress form looks so fabulous.

I am jealous of your craft space and never would have thought you could do that based on the before pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Put On Fake Eyelashes Like A Pro
Your Go-to Skin Care Regimen: A Step-by-Step Guide to Clear Skin
How to Fix a Chipped Pedicure
Candy Paint: Melody Ehsani Opens Nail Bar & Jewelry Store Hybrid
Essential Oils Staging a Beauty Industry Comeback
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...