A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,530
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Reconstructed Men's Shirt to Button-down Tank Top! (surgery prep)  (Read 62182 times)
Tags for this thread: reconstructed , sustainable , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011 , tank_top  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EliB
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2011 04:42:57 PM »

I will begin by saying what a creative DIY! I love it!
I am a first year fashion design major and I wanted to see what I have learned so far, so I decided to try this out because it looks super fun! Well it only took me about 30 min to put together and I used one of my old collared shirts. It was pretty easy and simple to make and extremely fun! I love projects like this that take something old and make it SOMETHING NEW! Wink

Well, Here it is(NOT THE GREATEST PHOTO, BUT IT WILL DO):

http://dnttrustme.tumblr.com/post/6953938275

Great Job BTW on the Tutorial
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011 11:42:16 PM by MareMare - Reason: to reveal image for new user » THIS ROCKS   Logged
smashu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011 12:35:26 PM »

that looks so goood <3  Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this ino a romper?
Also I have alittle issue, im five feet tall and fairly tiny, but i have HUGE boobs, like bigger then DDD status so everything fits weird with my small waist and big boobs.  What should i do to make this work for me?
Hi Bootchacka, can't help with the romper instructions atm but that may be something I undertake in the future Smiley

You shouldn't have any problems wearing one of these. I was a 31 H when I initially made this tank top! The beauty of it is that as long as the shirt is large enough to accommodate your chest width and long enough to be comfortable for you, you are set! You may want to make the waist tie a little lower depending on where you want it to sit (more of an empire waist or lower at the waist) as well.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
smashu

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011 12:37:37 PM »

I will begin by saying what a creative DIY! I love it!
I am a first year fashion design major and I wanted to see what I have learned so far, so I decided to try this out because it looks super fun! Well it only took me about 30 min to put together and I used one of my old collared shirts. It was pretty easy and simple to make and extremely fun! I love projects like this that take something old and make it SOMETHING NEW! Wink

Well, Here it is(NOT THE GREATEST PHOTO, BUT IT WILL DO):
http://dnttrustme.tumblr.com/post/6953938275 Thanks!! Glad that I could help you flex your new found skills! It looks great on you, so happy you could put it together without any hassle Smiley

Great Job BTW on the Tutorial

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

HomemadeSunshine

Craft the Revolution.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2011 10:30:30 AM »

Thanks Smashu! This was crazy easy to do. I used one of my dads shirts from the '70s and instead of a tie at the waist, I added a few darts. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Something nice to brighten your daily life.
www.HomemadeSunshine.etsy.com
libertycap
:-) Look at all the pretty colours :-)

Learning how to operate a soul takes time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2011 05:08:22 PM »

Thanks for this little gem!

I had a blue cotton oxford that I loved, which was my Dad's but unflattering in it's original state on me, which I used this tutorial for. In just over an hour of leisurely hand-sewing-whilst-box-setting-pace, I had a gorgeous new summer top! (no camera to hand at the moment...)

I shall definitely be using this method many times over, to overcome my lack of summer tops and no funds situation. Plus, bonus is that the shape is very flattering for my figure! Smiley

Thank you, smashu!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sunshine daydream
Walking in the tall trees
Going where the wind goes
Blooming like a red rose
Breathing more freely
Ride out singing, I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
Sunshine daydream
Sunshine daydream
Walking in the sunshine
Bootchacka
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2011 07:02:31 AM »

that looks so goood <3  Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this ino a romper?
Also I have alittle issue, im five feet tall and fairly tiny, but i have HUGE boobs, like bigger then DDD status so everything fits weird with my small waist and big boobs.  What should i do to make this work for me?
Hi Bootchacka, can't help with the romper instructions atm but that may be something I undertake in the future Smiley

You shouldn't have any problems wearing one of these. I was a 31 H when I initially made this tank top! The beauty of it is that as long as the shirt is large enough to accommodate your chest width and long enough to be comfortable for you, you are set! You may want to make the waist tie a little lower depending on where you want it to sit (more of an empire waist or lower at the waist) as well.

Hope that helps!

Thats funny right now im a 34 H but i squeeze into a 36 DDD lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tjb76
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011 02:31:03 PM »

Come to think of it, I'd love to make a romper but I'd have to find two of the same shirts probably!

Not if you did some color blocking like a quilt. Use an accent solid for a panel with matching casing on the top for the drawstring and on the hemline, with a rectangular section in the middle to lengthen as necessary. Then use the sleeves on the rectangle for patch pockets, in the same shape as the top ones if there are any, to reintroduce the color.

This could be a good summer top or dress pattern for wheel chair bound since it has buttons or snaps to be put on easily. Carry a shawl for evening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smashu

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2011 10:35:35 PM »

Thats funny right now im a 34 H but i squeeze into a 36 DDD lol
Ouch lady, why put yourself through that pain! *shakes finger* lol
Not if you did some color blocking like a quilt. Use an accent solid for a panel with matching casing on the top for the drawstring and on the hemline, with a rectangular section in the middle to lengthen as necessary. Then use the sleeves on the rectangle for patch pockets, in the same shape as the top ones if there are any, to reintroduce the color.

This could be a good summer top or dress pattern for wheel chair bound since it has buttons or snaps to be put on easily. Carry a shawl for evening.
Of course, this could most definitely be done with color blocking. My intention was to create a tutorial that someone with minimal sewing experience could use and that would be a bit more advanced, requiring more seams and pieces. I'd love to see a version of this if someone did it!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011 10:36:31 PM by smashu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashu

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011 10:41:11 PM »

Thanks Smashu! This was crazy easy to do. I used one of my dads shirts from the '70s and instead of a tie at the waist, I added a few darts. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
Great! I bet the fabric is super soft too from its age, I'm kind of jealous! Looking forward to your pics Smiley
Thanks for this little gem!

I had a blue cotton oxford that I loved, which was my Dad's but unflattering in it's original state on me, which I used this tutorial for. In just over an hour of leisurely hand-sewing-whilst-box-setting-pace, I had a gorgeous new summer top! (no camera to hand at the moment...)

I shall definitely be using this method many times over, to overcome my lack of summer tops and no funds situation. Plus, bonus is that the shape is very flattering for my figure! Smiley

Thank you, smashu!!  Grin

You are very welcome! I love how the aesthetic of a garment can be changed so drastically from something unflattering to cute in a short amount of time! It's great to hear your experience was a good one. I look forward to seeing pictures if you can take some Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

banana731

procraftinator extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011 01:01:09 PM »

I totally made this last night! It's a great tutorial. I will post pics from our vacation (it's coming with me!) soon.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm almost always typing with one hand...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Designer Biography: Roland Mouret - Videofashion
Designer Biography: Chloé - Videofashion
Temperley London - Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How To Add A 1920s Flare To Your Wardrobe
See the 10 Best Emmys Dresses of All Time
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...