A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Reconstructed Men's Shirt to Button-down Tank Top! (surgery prep)  (Read 62054 times)
Tags for this thread: reconstructed , sustainable , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011 , tank_top  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smashu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011 10:00:29 PM »

Awesome idea! That shirt is too cute. And nice job with the tute! I'd love to see an action shot!
I was wondering about that... I will try and do that when I have time! Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
enakitty
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011 01:45:26 AM »

Well done! Super duper cute!
Thank you so much for the tutorial!  ((((hug))))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dustbunnyodoom

Too many hobbies, too little time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011 05:34:56 AM »

I picked up a button down shirt at a thrift store last summer that would be perfect for this. Thank you so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashu

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011 07:50:31 AM »

Well done! Super duper cute!
Thank you so much for the tutorial!  ((((hug))))
You are welcome! Smiley

I picked up a button down shirt at a thrift store last summer that would be perfect for this. Thank you so much for sharing!
Great! I'd love to see pictures if you make one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

DefDonnie

I wanna take over the world but Mom won't let me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011 08:06:19 AM »

Love, Love, Love this! So glad you took the time to share w/ us here....And glad to hear your on the mend.
I do have a stupid question, though. I hafta wear a bra at all times and I'm not sure what would work with this shirt. I have hubby's "throw-aways" in 2 X ready to be redone, but I'm hesitant until I figure out how to rock this during my day. Suggestions?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherish the day......
smashu

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011 08:23:23 AM »

Love, Love, Love this! So glad you took the time to share w/ us here....And glad to hear your on the mend.
I do have a stupid question, though. I hafta wear a bra at all times and I'm not sure what would work with this shirt. I have hubby's "throw-aways" in 2 X ready to be redone, but I'm hesitant until I figure out how to rock this during my day. Suggestions?  Huh
I always wore a bra with this! The good thing about it is the neckline still comes up high enough that not too much of the straps would show on the shoulders and for sure none of the actual bra itself will show. I actually wore this during my recovery with a sports bra that had thinner straps and hooked in the back and basically you could barely see it.

The good thing is the ties on the shoulders distract from the strap that does show there, basically masking it. I would wear a bra that blends with the color of the shirt you use unless you have something with cute straps you don't mind showing off. You could even make the "drawstring" thicker than I did and that would probably cover even more.

I'm going to take a picture of my straps with the shoulder shortly to show you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashu

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011 08:43:09 AM »

Because the neckline is on a drawstring, you can pretty much slide it over as far as you like and cover up more bra strap if that is an issue for you (particularly in the back)! As for the shoulder, this is a quick picture I just took and you can barely see my bra. The good thing about this tank is that you can make it your own in that way. You can experiment with how you do the drawstring or tie at the shoulder to make it more comfortable for you Smiley

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011 10:47:56 PM by smashu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

palicious

personal swap friendly! PM me anytime :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011 12:20:03 PM »

Awesome tutorial! I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amber.hope
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011 12:50:43 PM »

You could use a wide ribbon for the strap part but you would have to alter your sewing to accommodate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Akkhima
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011 04:20:43 PM »

Here's the first one! Couldn't get her to do an action shot, but I think it looked great on her.

The one thing I did differently.... was I sewed the buttons shut. She never wore this shirt much before because it always needed ironing, and neither of us wanted to bother. Now I'm happy to report this shirt will get worn without needing ironing! Hooray!

Oh, I also cheated and used my serger instead of rolled hems.  Tongue

Definitely going to do some more. I've been trying to think of some style changes to do on some of them so they're not all the same. I want to try shirring something, so I might work in a shirred waist on one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ursula Le Guin Discusses Earthsea
Debating the Real Meaning of "Moby Dick"
Fan Fiction Vs Copyright
Katie Kitamura on Her Novel Gone to the Forest
Kristin Harmel on Writing The Sweetness of Forgetting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...